Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the Stadium and site is demolished and then rebuilt? What would be the difference between that and building somewhere new?

Probably the only thing would be the initial cost of the land and the possibility of building houses, retail, leisure around it to fund the build of the stadium.

Ideal situation would be to find a new location and build from scratch. But its where do you find this land and how do you get it through planning? Its not that easy and could take years.

Based on the 'builders' episode from Fawlty Towers, they might be able to if they employ Stubbs, but not if they employ O'Reilly.
O'Reilly would get it done over the summer, no problem.

As long as we didn't mind the stands being constructed from 4" x 2" and we weren't fussy about where the entrances and exits were placed.

*Kids, ask your parents!

O'Reilly would get it done over the summer, no problem.

As long as we didn't mind the stands being constructed from 4" x 2" and we weren't fussy about where the entrances and exits were placed.

*Kids, ask your parents!
Everyone goes on about their favourite moments in Fawlty Towers, but mine (and one that is not often mentioned), is when Basil opens the (new) door and runs up the stairs, then there is a short break and he comes down and the look he gives it. It's only a small thing but is wonderfully acted by John Cleese IMO.

Seriously?
If buying the Grenoble road site is cheaper than buying a green field site, why worry about what’s already built on it? Once the site’s cleared, what’s the difference anyway?
Plus when it comes to planning, there’s already precedent in place for a football stadium which will make planning a lot easier.

The downside is having to play a season elsewhere, probably outside the County.

Probably the only thing would be the initial cost of the land and the possibility of building houses, retail, leisure around it to fund the build of the stadium.

Ideal situation would be to find a new location and build from scratch. But its where do you find this land and how do you get it through planning? Its not that easy and could take years.
I think you’re right, the cost would be the key.
As suggested in other posts, the site maybe cheaper per square metre then a green field site because there might not be an option to build houses on it. I don’t know if that’s actually the case, but it sounds a possibility.
There’s certainly enough room at the current site (including ozone, hotels ect) to build something spectacular, if that’s the ambitions of the new owners?

I think you’re right, the cost would be the key.
As suggested in other posts, the site maybe cheaper per square metre then a green field site because there might not be an option to build houses on it. I don’t know if that’s actually the case, but it sounds a possibility.
There’s certainly enough room at the current site (including ozone, hotels ect) to build something spectacular, if that’s the ambitions of the new owners?

If 3000 houses are to be built across the road at grenoble Road and that land has already been earmarked for development. Maybe an option is to build a new stadium opposite the current one and let kassam sell his land off for housing.

If 3000 houses are to be built across the road at grenoble Road and that land has already been earmarked for development. Maybe an option is to build a new stadium opposite the current one and let kassam sell his land off for housing.
There’s certainly a logic to that. The danger would be the club paying over the odds for land opposite because planning for houses has been granted.

Where do you get this figure of 3000 from?

A very misleading report. The figure of 3000 is derived from the Grenoble Road development plan, part of SODC's local plan. Within that plan it is clearly stated that only 1700 houses would be expected by the year 2035. There would be provisional planning for another 1300 but not within the time period of the plan. There would certainly not be space for a stadium. Further, this development would seek to coincide with improvements to Greater Leys and Blackbird Leys. The Science Park is expected to expand (indeed, it is already doing so)

A very misleading report. The figure of 3000 is derived from the Grenoble Road development plan, part of SODC's local plan. Within that plan it is clearly stated that only 1700 houses would be expected by the year 2035. There would be provisional planning for another 1300 but not within the time period of the plan. There would certainly not be space for a stadium. Further, this development would seek to coincide with improvements to Greater Leys and Blackbird Leys. The Science Park is expected to expand (indeed, it is already doing so)

1800 homes initially, 3000 outlined if other sites like Chalgrove airfield don't go ahead. What I'm saying is couldn't we build a stadium on a part of that land and in return Kassam can sell his stadium plot. Atleast planning and the public consultation will be a lot easier then a completely new location.

If buying the Grenoble road site is cheaper than buying a green field site, why worry about what’s already built on it? Once the site’s cleared, what’s the difference anyway?
Plus when it comes to planning, there’s already precedent in place for a football stadium which will make planning a lot easier.

The downside is having to play a season elsewhere, probably outside the County.
Not necessarily, we could do what Plymuff did and build from within and still be able to play at the Grenoble road

TBF doing one stand at a time isn't going to cut down on capacity lol.
They could start by building the fourth stand as if the exterior was part of the new build then add th corners and carry on around the perimeter, and when they demolish each stand from with in, they could move that stand into the West stand until their stand is rebuilt.

I don't think many fans want a revamped Kassam Stadium. The whole sordid relationship with the owner leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Just make a clean break and start afresh. The " Brake " ticks the boxes for me. Certainly handy for the many fans from the Bicester area. Good transport links also...........easier said than done, I know.

I don't think many fans want a revamped Kassam Stadium. The whole sordid relationship with the owner leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Just make a clean break and start afresh. The " Brake " ticks the boxes for me. Certainly handy for the many fans from the Bicester area. Good transport links also...........easier said than done, I know.

I don’t have any issue with the location. Couldn’t care less about a past relationship if we cease said relationship. Might want to rename it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom