National News Pontins - No Irish......

Essexyellows

Interesting one.... and I am fully entitled to comment as my family name could well be "on the list".

Although I`m not sure where this fits in..... "and Pontins' commercial vehicle policy excluded Gypsies and Travellers from its holiday parks."

Most of them around here drive Merc`s, Range Rovers and the like. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting one.... and I am fully entitled to comment as my family name could well be "on the list".

Although I`m not sure where this fits in..... "and Pontins' commercial vehicle policy excluded Gypsies and Travellers from its holiday parks."

Most of them around here drive Merc`s, Range Rovers and the like. :ROFLMAO:

...and (no) thanks to lock down you can't even take Mrs EY for a weekend at Pontins to celebrate.

Political correctness gone mad etc.

Well it's fairly clearly about irish travellers, rather than it being about the irish in general.

going purely on appearance ... unfashinonably long hair, leather jacket and snakeskin boots, ... I guess a certain individual, based a few junctions along the M40 wont be welcomed by Pontins then?

Was put up in a Pontins once when I was doing some manual labour to make ends meet at Uni, I think it was in Weston Super Mare if I remember correctly. Worst place I've ever stayed. They had a bath in the room, but no shower. Dirty beds and paper thin walls.

Well, Irish Travellers rather than irish travellers (capitals because they are an identified ethnic group: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers)
Whilst this is technically correct, i wonder do you do around correcting everyone for their not capitalising proper nouns on this football forum? I've almost definitely written "chinese" or "asian" before on here

There's a certain kind of twitter activist who is more interested in whether gypsy is given a capital g than whether gypsies are denied access to schooling, and I've always found it a strange argument for people to bother making when i thought the internet had broadly moved away from grammar as a conversation piece

Whilst this is technically correct, i wonder do you do around correcting everyone for their not capitalising proper nouns on this football forum? I've almost definitely written "chinese" or "asian" before on here

There's a certain kind of twitter activist who is more interested in whether gypsy is given a capital g than whether gypsies are denied access to schooling, and I've always found it a strange argument for people to bother making when i thought the internet had broadly moved away from grammar as a conversation piece
I wasn’t being that pedantic! It was relevant because the discussion was about whether it was generic Irish or not. EY joked it would affect him (when it wouldn’t). Graham Norton on his way to Benidorm is an Irish traveller (so it wouldn’t affect him), but Tyson Fury is an Irish Traveller (so it would).

I wasn’t being that pedantic! It was relevant because the discussion was about whether it was generic Irish or not. EY joked it would affect him (when it wouldn’t). Graham Norton on his way to Benidorm is an Irish traveller (so it wouldn’t affect him), but Tyson Fury is an Irish Traveller (so it would).

Glad you can be so sure, if my family name was on the list I could have suffered discrimination. That is a pro bono fact.
Granted the odds of me ringing Pontins for a holiday are nil but...

Glad you can be so sure, if my family name was on the list I could have suffered discrimination. That is a pro bono fact.
Granted the odds of me ringing Pontins for a holiday are nil but...
Not quite what I meant - of course unfair discrimination can happen (we can reopen a whole new debate on that one!). I was just trying to explain why commenting on Traveller vs traveller wasn’t just being an A*****e pedant!

So Kirsty Gallagher, Susan Boyle, Paddy McGuinness, Daniel O'Donnell and snooker player Ken Doherty need to find somewhere else to go on their holidays? I'm sure they'll be mortified...

Back
Top Bottom