General Playoffs

Will we make the playoffs this season? (2020/21)

• Yes

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are not taking in to account they all have to play each other aswell. So if we do beat them their current ppg won't be the same. 2 ppg for the rest of the season for us will put us on 82 points. No chance will we miss out on 6th with that points tally
I am taking it into account. You're not taking it into account that most of their games will be against teams not in the top eight.

82 points would get us into the top six now (4th), if others ppg remains the same (obviously some will get worse, and some will get better).

I don't think we will average 2 ppg for the rest of the season. Only Doncaster and Lincoln have done that so far over the current games - both are on exactly that

I am taking it into account. You're not taking it into account that most of their games will be against teams not in the top eight.

82 points would get us into the top six now (4th), if others ppg remains the same (obviously some will get worse, and some will get better).

I don't think we will average 2 ppg for the rest of the season. Only Doncaster and Lincoln have done that so far over the current games - both are on exactly that

Lincoln and Doncaster like you said are currently on 2 ppg and on course for autos. Doesnt mean they will continue this ppg though.

As for Hull, Pompey and Posh they currently have a better ppg than us only due to our poor start.

Sunderland and Charlton have worse ppg than us as they have played more games

Accrington have a slightly better ppg than us due to playing a game less.

Ppg does not take in to account home and away fixtures . We have posh . Pompey. Lincoln. Charlton. Accrington. Doncaster all at home.

Data shows 6th place in the last few years has been as low as 65 and as high as 78. Anything over 80 points you are guaranteed a play off place. 90 points for a top 2 place.

Lincoln and Doncaster like you said are currently on 2 ppg and on course for autos. Doesnt mean they will continue this ppg though.

As for Hull, Pompey and Posh they currently have a better ppg than us only due to our poor start.

Sunderland and Charlton have worse ppg than us as they have played more games

Accrington have a slightly better ppg than us due to playing a game less.

Ppg does not take in to account home and away fixtures . We have posh . Pompey. Lincoln. Charlton. Accrington. Doncaster all at home.

Data shows 6th place in the last few years has been as low as 65 and as high as 78. Anything over 80 points you are guaranteed a play off place. 90 points for a top 2 place.
Which year was it 78 points for 6th place in League 1? I had a look recently and in the last decade 74 points has always been enough unless I missed one?

If we keep at our current form then yes without any doubt. But after Saturday we play some of the bigger boys, if we can gain some results against them then yes we will.

Which year was it 78 points for 6th place in League 1? I had a look recently and in the last decade 74 points has always been enough unless I missed one?

I got it mixed up it was 68 🤭

Weird season. High flyers have already lost more games than you'd typically see in a whole season for the top teams. Compound effects of fixture congestion on bodies and minds unpredictable. No crowds potentially bigger factor for good or ill when the late-season pressure mounts. Relatively quiet January window.

Given our extreme streakiness up to now I reckon the next three league games tell us more about our chances than current average PPG. A struggler in Wigan at home, an underachieving mid table outfit in Ipswich away and a strong Portsmouth at home. And with both main signings going into these games with minutes and goals under their belts. Almost a perfect test to get a fresh baseline. If we take 5 points from these and Barker/Lee on form and settled in I can see us being on here in a few weeks discussing autos rather than play offs. 4 points and we're probably right to say playoffs our target. Anything less than that and we should probably prepare for mid table security.

Maybe it's clutching at straws during these grim times but I'm optimistic. A few reasons...

- Robbo teams tend to peak later in season.
- High number of fixtures against tougher teams are at home where our record very good.
- Outstanding bench quality with multiple championship level options in all attacking positions. Defensive cover the worry but not dissimilar to most L1 teams.
- New signings seem to be settling already. Our loan winger is the kind of player fans of his host club moan about because he hadn't shown the same form against Motherwell as he did away at Roma! Crazy quality.
- The best transfer business elsewhere was at Lincoln and Hull, everyone else pretty average or treading water.

Watch us lose to Wigan now :)

COYY

Given our extreme streakiness up to now I reckon the next three league games tell us more about our chances than current average PPG. A struggler in Wigan at home, an underachieving mid table outfit in Ipswich away and a strong Portsmouth at home. And with both main signings going into these games with minutes and goals under their belts. Almost a perfect test to get a fresh baseline. If we take 5 points from these and Barker/Lee on form and settled in I can see us being on here in a few weeks discussing autos rather than play offs. 4 points and we're probably right to say playoffs our target. Anything less than that and we should probably prepare for mid table security.

I don’t think 5 points would be so amazing that we’re guaranteed autos - you’d expect us to beat Wigan at home, so that’s just two draws after that. For me, five points and we’re looking good for a playoff spot. 7 points and I’d think start thinking we’re nailed on for one, and 9 and I’m thinking autos maybe...

I don’t think 5 points would be so amazing that we’re guaranteed autos - you’d expect us to beat Wigan at home, so that’s just two draws after that. For me, five points and we’re looking good for a playoff spot. 7 points and I’d think start thinking we’re nailed on for one, and 9 and I’m thinking autos maybe...
Good point. You're probably right and I'm being too forgiving. Was thinking that we're not going to hit peak for the run in till the new boys have had a few more games, McGuane & Longy back and fit + a little more time for Brannagan and Winnall to get fully back on the pace. Basically a solid return over these three games after a crazy winning streak to give us a solid basecamp for assault on the summit with the weather in our favour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom