EPL Ol' Chippy

West Brom pressing ahead as expected, sacking their promotion-winning coach and employing Big Sam.
Now, Bilic I could ABSOLUTELY see as Sheff Utd manager, also in the event of getting them back after relegation.

West Brom pressing ahead as expected, sacking their promotion-winning coach and employing Big Sam.
Now, Bilic I could ABSOLUTELY see as Sheff Utd manager, also in the event of getting them back after relegation.
Yes , Big Sam can never be forgiven for the England thing . He did not understand why the Everton fans did not like him .

Popped on Sheff Utd forum , lot of fans want CW out !

Whilst I think it would be a foolish move to sack him, Chris Wilder may decide to resign as I’m sure he wouldn’t like to be remembered for taking them down. It’s his hometown club and he may feel a change at the top might help his club.
Meanwhile he gets a golden goodbye enabling to go elsewhere. I’m sure he’d fancy another sleeping giant

Whilst I think it would be a foolish move to sack him, Chris Wilder may decide to resign as I’m sure he wouldn’t like to be remembered for taking them down. It’s his hometown club and he may feel a change at the top might help his club.
Meanwhile he gets a golden goodbye enabling to go elsewhere. I’m sure he’d fancy another sleeping giant
His standing is still high in the game, you have to say (despite this season).
Someone like Blackburn, Huddersfield or Forest would snap your hand off if he was available.
Or maybe Sheffield Wednesday! :D

Yes , this is what they seem to want . I don’t think he will walk out he as to much believe in himself.

I know it was partly because the guy is only 20 and it was something of an investment, but £23.5m for Rhian Brewster is the one that seems crazy to me. The guy's entire career consists of one good loan spell at Swansea in the Championship, and that's it. Never played at the PL level.

It's not like Sheffield United are one of the moneybags Big 6 for whom 20m is nothing. They can likely fork out that sort of change for a striker only once - and Chippy spent it on a raw unproven prospect when there were good PL players that have been there and done it before available for less. Callum Wilson was a great call earlier in the thread. Hell, Southampton paid Liverpool less than the Brewster fee for Danny Ings last year!

Honestly, Chippy should have been suspicious when Klopp was willing to let a 20 year old go at all!
And it's not as if Sheffield can triple their money on him if Brewster had turned out to be awesome because they agreed to a 40m buy-back clause.

It's this sort of thing that makes me think that Wilder has reached his limits as a manager. He's a great organizer and motivator and has achieved his immediate goals at every club he's managed, with the job he's done in Sheffield (and at Northampton before that) being pretty miraculous. But I think he's shown that he's probably not the guy to spend £60m for PL consolidation because all he's done with it is ruin the team.

I know it was partly because the guy is only 20 and it was something of an investment, but £23.5m for Rhian Brewster is the one that seems crazy to me. The guy's entire career consists of one good loan spell at Swansea in the Championship, and that's it. Never played at the PL level.

It's not like Sheffield United are one of the moneybags Big 6 for whom 20m is nothing. They can likely fork out that sort of change for a striker only once - and Chippy spent it on a raw unproven prospect when there were good PL players that have been there and done it before available for less. Callum Wilson was a great call earlier in the thread. Hell, Southampton paid Liverpool less than the Brewster fee for Danny Ings last year!

Honestly, Chippy should have been suspicious when Klopp was willing to let a 20 year old go at all!
And it's not as if Sheffield can triple their money on him if Brewster had turned out to be awesome because they agreed to a 40m buy-back clause.

It's this sort of thing that makes me think that Wilder has reached his limits as a manager. He's a great organizer and motivator and has achieved his immediate goals at every club he's managed, with the job he's done in Sheffield (and at Northampton before that) being pretty miraculous. But I think he's shown that he's probably not the guy to spend £60m for PL consolidation because all he's done with it is ruin the team.
But again, he'll learn from it.
Just like he did from his time before us, and then of course immediately after as well.
Still have a lot of time for him (I'm a northener though, so don't be too surprised).

Incidentally, I wonder who came up with the "Chippy" moniker (and Lord Wilder). Interesting to see how a name sticks. One assumes KR will be Robbo or Gobbo once he sails off to pastures new.

£18.5m for Ramsdale?! Bloody hell. No wonder Bournemouth are fine and dandy in the Championship when the Blades have horrifically overpaid for the English equivalent of Wayne Hennessy.
I know this is completely off topic but wasn't it Ramsdale who was on loan at Wimbledon a few years ago and had an absolutely unreal game at the Kassam for them? Thought he was brilliant that day, one of the best keeper performances I've seen on our ground. (Might be misremembering, mind.)

Overpaid for McBurnie too, not good enough for the PL (yet).

He did a brilliant job for us but felt toward the end his chest thumping style was starting to wear thin with the players...only so many times you can be bawled at before you switch off...at that point you either need to move on or change the entire team. Wonder if hes in that situation now...plus PL level international players might expect first dibs on the pasta.

I know this is completely off topic but wasn't it Ramsdale who was on loan at Wimbledon a few years ago and had an absolutely unreal game at the Kassam for them? Thought he was brilliant that day, one of the best keeper performances I've seen on our ground. (Might be misremembering, mind.)
He was the Wimbledon keeper in the 0-0 at GR in April 2019. 14 months from L1 to an £18.5m transfer....

But again, he'll learn from it.
Just like he did from his time before us, and then of course immediately after as well.
Still have a lot of time for him (I'm a northener though, so don't be too surprised).

Incidentally, I wonder who came up with the "Chippy" moniker (and Lord Wilder). Interesting to see how a name sticks. One assumes KR will be Robbo or Gobbo once he sails off to pastures new.

Sometimes he learns. Sometimes he doesn’t.

In our promotion season, he went hunting for unnecessary reinforcements. Out when Matt Green, Chapman and Midson. In came Franny Green, John Grant and Lewis Chalmers. They were all still at the club when we went to Wembley but CW clocked after that ‘mad March’ that what he had was good enough. He didn’t need the loanees.

Difference then was that they were Conference loanees. It’ll be a job getting rid of Rhian Brewster after what they inexplicably paid for him!

Last edited:
Bilic is probably hoping to manage Croatia at some point. Apparently pretty angry at the way Big Sam had obviously been lined up in advance. CW will always be a legend here after wembley. Pity Robbo didnt pull it off as well. Wouldnt swap them at the moment though, in Karl we trust I think!!

That sort of money for those sort of players makes one realise how we always get shafted when we sell players. What did we get for Lundstram? Or Roofe who could easily do a job in the pl.

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom