General New EFL rule - Clubs have to make a profit

Well you can't trust Tiger with votes anyway.

He'll only lie about it and Peterborough will get all upset again.

Blackpool look to be backing a salary cap.

Well the Blackpool chairman looks to be a hypocrite. Already getting 5 players in before the cap is introduced and some of those (eg. Jerry Yates) must be on a pretty big wage. Their wage bill for this season must be well over the £2.5m so a cynical person might suggest he’s trying to get a leg up in the promotion push this season by voting for the cap.

Last edited:
The season that Wigan won League One, they had revenues of 9.3m.
OK, that was augmented by a good cup run but still - they can easily sustain a wage budget well in excess of 2.5m. It would be crazy for an administrator - or any future owner - to support a wage cap that arbitrarily removed their competitive advantage at this level. If they were talking about capping wages at 5m, maybe. But 2.5m - way too low for a club like Wigan.

By the way, their wage bill that season? 13.6m! No wonder they won the league and gave us a good shoeing with that sort of financial advantage!
Wonder where they got all that income considering that would have been 65% of all their income

Do we think there may or not be an announcement today especially with the vote

Sure I read somewhere that the vote has been delayed until tomorrow.... might of dreamt that though!!!
Wouldn’t surprise me, probably a few brown envelopes to the EFL from clubs trying to get players in before the vote

Are each division voting independently, or is it all 72 clubs combined? What if Championship and L2 agree and L1 doesn't? Will there be a consultation period while each club comes up with a suggested amount, then another vote as to which the league goes with, then another vote to decide whether everyone agrees to that figure, each of which will be delayed by a couple of weeks and afinal decision announced some time in march.

Are each division voting independently, or is it all 72 clubs combined? What if Championship and L2 agree and L1 doesn't? Will there be a consultation period while each club comes up with a suggested amount, then another vote as to which the league goes with, then another vote to decide whether everyone agrees to that figure, each of which will be delayed by a couple of weeks and afinal decision announced some time in march.

Followed by another vote after Peterborough and Tranmere decide they don't like the outcome of the previous votes.................

The Wigan Athletic you are referring to is gone.
The Wigan that comes out of administration, if a buyer is found, will be a shadow of the previous club.
Listen to what is coming from their administrator (strangely, remarkably similar to what the Bolton administrator was saying a year ago):
-They have debtors owed £millions.
-They have a huge wage bill that urgently needs paring (= fire sale of 1st team squad).
-Their ground sponsor (DW Sports) is also now in administration. (= more lost revenue).
-Unlikely any buyer in place before next season starts (= no buyer in talks).
So they start next season still in administration having sold any player they had that was worth anything, and unable to sign anyone other than frees and loans.
Chances of a quick return to the Championship = nil.
Chances of another unknown rich overseas 'punter' taking over is less likely after the last fiasco and given the scrutiny of the local MP.
I think all this points to a more modest investor where a salary cap might appeal.

The same could be said of Bolton yet they spent £250,000 on their new management team only a month or so ago and signed Eoin Doyle on a 3 year contract who will be on a pretty penny. Others have been bought from administration and then gone on a spending spree not long after and they will have been similar.

If we include Tigers recent comments on RadOx, I think there are only 5 clubs who have stated publicly they are against the cap:
Oxford, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Ipswich and Plymouth Argyle.
I agree that Hull and Charlton will also likely vote against.
Wigan are not so straightforward - their vote will be cast by an administrator who is talking about the urgent need to slash their wage bill. He may think it easier to find a buyer for the club if a salary cap is already in place.
All the other clubs I've seen who've made their views known, including Peterborough, have come out in favour.
So maybe only 7 votes against, in which case it will pass, unless Doncaster and one other can be persuaded to abstain.
Will the teams demoted to League one from the Championship have to comply immediately with a salary cap if it's voted in on Friday? If not, then they will have an unfair advantage over the rest of us. If they do have to, how do they deal with existing player wages which will almost certainly exceed the cap? Their high earners are on contracts and any attempt to reduce wages unilaterally to meet the cap will result in litigation for breach. It seems the only alternative is to offload players in order to comply and that won't be straightforward.

Will the teams demoted to League one from the Championship have to comply immediately with a salary cap if it's voted in on Friday? If not, then they will have an unfair advantage over the rest of us. If they do have to, how do they deal with existing player wages which will almost certainly exceed the cap? Their high earners are on contracts and any attempt to reduce wages unilaterally to meet the cap will result in litigation for breach. It seems the only alternative is to offload players in order to comply and that won't be straightforward.
I think they get a season grace

My understanding is that players on contracts signed before the cap would be automatically assigned an 'average wage', this would also apply to teams already in league 1.

I don't know what the situation would be if a club had a greater number of players contracted than allowed.

Then so should all the other teams in League one.
May as well not bother with a cap or FFP to much corruption in the gane as there is, these measures were brought in to make clubs sustainable and to make sure creditors are paid

Let's hope they can regroup and get back once all this crap is over (or at least under control properly).

Good luck to them and their supporters.

Back
Top Bottom