Non-League National north and south voided

If Dover are refusing to play then relegate them but don't count the results against them from all the other teams. Then continue the national league with only 2 relegation places. All the teams who wish to continue in South and North divisions join the same mini league where you only play each other once. Home and away games are split 50/50. All teams start on zero and the top 4 teams go up and the rest stay in their league for next season.

That's the fairest way.

If Dover are refusing to play then relegate them but don't count the results against them from all the other teams. Then continue the national league with only 2 relegation places. All the teams who wish to continue in South and North divisions join the same mini league where you only play each other once. Home and away games are split 50/50. All teams start on zero and the top 4 teams go up and the rest stay in their league for next season.

That's the fairest way.
Either that or two mini leagues split north and south, with home and away against each team, with each mini champion promoted and any other places available at step one filled via playoffs ( combined if necessary)

It's all a mess. Fair enough promoting top teams into national league but teams at bottom of that league won't want to get relegated.

Seems like there is some momentum behind a combined league for those who want to carry on,(apparently 17 clubs) with just playing each other once...
Personally, to allow for first half of season, I'd set up the table as though it were half way through the season with our old friend PPG X half#games.
In other words, 16 games X PPG to get initial table, then 16 games to play...

Seems like there is some momentum behind a combined league for those who want to carry on,(apparently 17 clubs) with just playing each other once...
Personally, to allow for first half of season, I'd set up the table as though it were half way through the season with our old friend PPG X half#games.
In other words, 16 games X PPG to get initial table, then 16 games to play...

I suppose the problem with ppg is that teams were not facing the same opposition as they were in different leagues. It’s a mental idea in truth, suppose it doesn’t matter how you do it but it has very little integrity if half way through March you just start a new league up with different rules to decide promotion, I have a feeling the conference will only allow it if it’s for two teams to be promoted as that will mean only Dover get relegated and they must be on the verge of getting kicked out now anyway.

I was just looking at the conference table for the first time in an age, and I notice that - even assuming that Dover don't play again, and their results get expunged - lots of teams still have nineteen games to play.

In fact, if Notts County get to the FA Trophy final (not a bad bet, seeing as they're at home to Hornchurch in the semis), they still have 21 games to play before the end of the season. Even given that the season has been extended to the end of May, even if there are no more postponements that still means that they're going to be playing non-stop twice-a-week for the next three months. Yikes!

It always seems to be that as much chaos as the EFL gets itself into, the National League is always in 'Hold my Beer' mode!

(also, Sutton United getting into the Football League? Really? Couldn't we have one of the more traditional league sides back instead?)

Torquay look like blowing it, top tip. Hartlepool. If Sutton United do make it, they will have to pay out to get rid of the pitch which i believe is the same as Oxford City.

I was just looking at the conference table for the first time in an age, and I notice that - even assuming that Dover don't play again, and their results get expunged - lots of teams still have nineteen games to play.

In fact, if Notts County get to the FA Trophy final (not a bad bet, seeing as they're at home to Hornchurch in the semis), they still have 21 games to play before the end of the season. Even given that the season has been extended to the end of May, even if there are no more postponements that still means that they're going to be playing non-stop twice-a-week for the next three months. Yikes!

It always seems to be that as much chaos as the EFL gets itself into, the National League is always in 'Hold my Beer' mode!

(also, Sutton United getting into the Football League? Really? Couldn't we have one of the more traditional league sides back instead?)
Apart from Sutton, it does seem that a few of the old guard are finally getting their act together so we might get one or two back this time

Apart from Sutton, it does seem that a few of the old guard are finally getting their act together so we might get one or two back this time
The exception being Barnet - although I don't know if you would call them old guard. They've been more a FL/NL yo-yo team since the early 90s.

Don't know what's been happening there, but if there is any relegation from the Conference this year, they're clearly toast.

Dover refusing to pay their £40k fine - they also got a 12pt deduction

Dover refusing to pay their £40k fine - they also got a 12pt deduction
No great surprise, the guy seems to be making up his own rules as he goes along.
All the clubs have been shafted by the confusion over loans/grants for this season, but it would be unfair on the others who have spent money to plough on, for Dover to start next season with a healthier bank balance than they will because they unilaterally stopped playing.
I wonder if the outcome of this will involved demotion? (and then hopefully one team from each Step2 league moving up)

No great surprise, the guy seems to be making up his own rules as he goes along.
All the clubs have been shafted by the confusion over loans/grants for this season, but it would be unfair on the others who have spent money to plough on, for Dover to start next season with a healthier bank balance than they will because they unilaterally stopped playing.
I wonder if the outcome of this will involved demotion? (and then hopefully one team from each Step2 league moving up)

I doubt you will see anyone go up, no fair way of promoting a club from the shambles that was the north/south this season, would just lead to a lawsuit from other clubs.

Which is probably why Dover will (wrongly) survive in the national league for next season, unless they grow some balls and chuck them out to start again much lower I can’t see a solution.

I doubt you will see anyone go up, no fair way of promoting a club from the shambles that was the north/south this season, would just lead to a lawsuit from other clubs.

Which is probably why Dover will (wrongly) survive in the national league for next season, unless they grow some balls and chuck them out to start again much lower I can’t see a solution.

They already started with 23 this season so to go down to 22 wouldn't be a problem. There is a berth available in the Isthmian League at the step below the NL South which for me would be appropriate.

I know, that is why I was hoping that they could have cobbled together some sort of playoff process/league among those Step 2 teams willing to continue.

Based on ppg you could have:
North: SF1 = Fylde vrs (winner of Boston vrs Kiddie) // SF2 = Gloucester vrs (winner of York vrs Brackley)
South: SF1 = Dorking vrs (winner of Ox c vrs Hampton & R) // SF2 = St Albans vrs (winner of Dartford vrs Eastbourne)

Probably too late now, but would have given some sense of completion to the season

They already started with 23 this season so to go down to 22 wouldn't be a problem. There is a berth available in the Isthmian League at the step below the NL South which for me would be appropriate.

Don’t disagree with that, although I would see them drop further as they have essentially given up on playing games to save money, that should be them starting again like the clubs that went bust like Chester, Darlington etc.

I know, that is why I was hoping that they could have cobbled together some sort of playoff process/league among those Step 2 teams willing to continue.

Based on ppg you could have:
North: SF1 = Fylde vrs (winner of Boston vrs Kiddie) // SF2 = Gloucester vrs (winner of York vrs Brackley)
South: SF1 = Dorking vrs (winner of Ox c vrs Hampton & R) // SF2 = St Albans vrs (winner of Dartford vrs Eastbourne)

Probably too late now, but would have given some sense of completion to the season

Because those leagues stopped so early with so many games to play (and a real disparity in games played) and there are two regional feeder leagues it would be a legal minefield with clubs just outside the play off spots.

Mess of a season in non league that with hindsight would of been better off not starting. Dover will probably get away with a smaller fine and the minus 12 points, a lot of games in the national league are either dead rubbers or one side has nothing to play for now while losing money, making it a bit of a farce while below it was a waste of time, money and effort.

Back
Top Bottom