Mick Vinter

RIP

He was a big player at the start of our golden era. I think I read somewhere he battled with alcohol later in life. Sad news, it’s been a sorry time for the club in recent months with the passing of some influential characters.

Sad news to hear.

What’s equally sad is that at 65 he was in a nursing home. From that brief report it doesn’t sound like his last few years were particularly comfortable.

65 really is far too young to go. It doesn’t seem that long ago that he was playing for us.

Ron Saunders, Jim Smith, John Shuker and now Mick Vinter. It really has been a wretched couple of months.

Very sad news, especially given his age and what sounds to have been the difficulties he had faced in his life. Exactly the kind of forward we are trying to find currently.

Very sad news, especially given his age and what sounds to have been the difficulties he had faced in his life. Exactly the kind of forward we are trying to find currently.
Agreed Just what we want now. Very fond memories come flooding back of the start of a great time for the club. God I miss the Manor.! Rip Mick

Yes sad news again and a top player for us back in the 80s.

Very sad news Ron Saunders, Jim Smith and now Mick Vinter such a tragic loss RIP

Shocked to hear this, although it was well known he was wrestling with his demons.
Another one RIP

My first game at The Manor was in 1983, Oxford United 2 - 0 Wrexham, Mick Vinter scored the first goal.
Sad news again to lose yet another player early in their life.......

My first goalscoring hero. Still the only player I ever asked for an autograph. He was sat in the Beach Road main stand and I snuck down to ask him to autograph my programme during the game - except being a dopey schoolkid I didn't have a pen! He politely asked the fella next to him for a pen, our reserve goalie at the time (Butcher?) who looked a bit miffed that I didn't also want his signature!
Rest in Peace Mick - you were part of a golden legendary era and you won't be forgotten........

Ah that is very sad news. Best wishes to his family and friends.

Was one of the main strikers in my 1st season and provided some superb memories. Was one of my 1st favourite players and thus named one of our fish after him.

RIP and thank you for the memories.

A Spring evening at Leyton Orient in the promotion years comes to mind. I believe Mick played and maybe scored in a 2-1 victory. The usual "gang" started out at 8am for a 7.30pm kick off and missed that by some margin...…... but that is another matter. Another well respected player gone, but not to be forgotten.

He was a very good footballer. He held the ball up really well, scored few and was a very good team player.
Played at the same time as Whatmorecand Biggins as we were promoted from the L1 equivalent.
Jim Smith was ruthless and brought in John Aldridge ( pretty good move)
Mick Vinter I think went to Mansfield? A very good lower league footballer.
RIP

A Spring evening at Leyton Orient in the promotion years comes to mind. I believe Mick played and maybe scored in a 2-1 victory. The usual "gang" started out at 8am for a 7.30pm kick off and missed that by some margin...…... but that is another matter. Another well respected player gone, but not to be forgotten.
Bank Holiday game at theirs? Think that was when we clinched the title wasn't it? Certainly was 2-1, well in my mind it was ?

Back
Top Bottom