Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

I think some of our best recent signings are ones nobody has heard of and we first hear of them on the day of the signing
Whyte
Dickie
Atkinson

Then we are linked with players like Winnall/Grigg who are past it and cost us a fortune and drag on forever
Our best signings are probably the ones Robinson has never heard of, that way we don't get someone that used to be absolutely class but is now physically shagged

Our recruitment team have shown themselves to pretty good.

Signing McGuane is obviously a good idea. What we must not do though is to have a team where the system relies on one player too much. If our dip is form is, as KR says, down to McGuane not being available - then surely this is a lesson that must be learned?

Signing McGuane is obviously a good idea. What we must not do though is to have a team where the system relies on one player too much. If our dip is form is, as KR says, down to McGuane not being available - then surely this is a lesson that must be learned?
I’m not suggesting it’s the same, but look at Liverpool without Van Dijk. It’s not too outlandish to suggest that losing a key player will hinder the progress of a team. I’m sure we can name many clubs that would suffer, due to a single player being unavailable for a long period of time. Of course, it’s squad game but the importance of certain individuals cannot be overlooked. Maguane, at the time of his injury, was well on his way to becoming one of our best players.

I’m not suggesting it’s the same, but look at Liverpool without Van Dijk. It’s not too outlandish to suggest that losing a key player will hinder the progress of a team. I’m sure we can name many clubs that would suffer, due to a single player being unavailable for a long period of time. Of course, it’s squad game but the importance of certain individuals cannot be overlooked. Maguane, at the time of his injury, was well on his way to becoming one of our best players.
I'm not suggesting that losing one of your better players wouldn't have an effect - and of course with smaller squads probably even more so. But it's almost as if we have been trying to play the same way, with one of the important components removed - and it hasn't really worked.

I'm not suggesting that losing one of your better players wouldn't have an effect - and of course with smaller squads probably even more so. But it's almost as if we have been trying to play the same way, with one of the important components removed - and it hasn't really worked.
I agree that we haven’t really changed our style of play, and I’m not too worried about that. I like the way we play, when we are able to do so! I think the fact it hasn’t worked, has to fall with some of the other players that have underperformed, or have been far too inconsistent for long periods. If we still had Magaune, would we be in a higher position? Absolutely.

Last edited:
The "new" board are exactly like the "old" board. Nothing changes so I've no idea why you round think otherwise.

And you’re naive if you think that contract conversations never take place outside of transfer windows. Marcus McGuane and Nottingham Forest can certainly agree a deal in principal that is ratified as soon as the window opens.
The names may/may not be the same, but roles will be different, with new decision makers. So, in effect a new board. Did I say contract talks never take place outside of transfer windows? I said the transfer of players which robinson was talking about, the purchase of the player, when he should really have said nothing, even if talks are quietly ongoing.
Two completely different things. But kr only has the same mantra it seems year after year, ground hog day, quite literally. I see in the Oxmail today, right on time, he's off on part 2.1.2, summer purchases.

I see in the Oxmail today, right on time, he's off on part 2.1.2, summer purchases.

Seems more like a whinge about selling players we develop(1) coupled with an advertorial on how well we've done with Jack Stevens(2).

1. I wonder if the board has changed the business model that got the club into profit, as Tiger announced the other day. Tail tries to wag dog shock!

2. Nobody else has made it from the academy to the first season, so this subject is gonna get flogged to death.

Weird that Stevens is suddenly Championship standard after 20 games when even last season we signed an OOC keeper in Archer to cover for a month or two, rather than give him a game. The season before that we loaned in and used Mitchell for months on end, even though Robinson spent the whole time mugging him off and screaming about how he wasn’t ‘his goalkeeper’. Either Stevens has gone from not good enough, to good enough for teams in higher divisions inside a year where he didn’t play any football, or he was better than we thought he was and simply never gave him a chance until everybody finally got so angry at Eastwood that there was no option.

Good to see Eastwood and Brown getting most of the credit for his performances, though. We can’t have it not be a coaching master stroke. Robinson has even said in the Mail piece that Stevens’ form really shows the value of competition, and having players genuinely push each other for the shirt. This is good news! I look forward to having two right backs, two left backs, and four centre backs at the start of next season. Because as the man himself says, it’s really important.

I look forward to having two right backs, two left backs, and four centre backs at the start of next season. Because as the man himself says, it’s really important.

If the squad size is 20 ( I am not sure where we are on that) then taking 10 places for the back 5 seems a bit OTT.
In Division 3 I would suspect that most clubs have utility players to cover 2 or 3 of the defensive positions.
Going forwards it is really Important that we have young players coming through who are good enough to fill in when necessary.

Weird that Stevens is suddenly Championship standard after 20 games when even last season we signed an OOC keeper in Archer to cover for a month or two, rather than give him a game. The season before that we loaned in and used Mitchell for months on end, even though Robinson spent the whole time mugging him off and screaming about how he wasn’t ‘his goalkeeper’. Either Stevens has gone from not good enough, to good enough for teams in higher divisions inside a year where he didn’t play any football, or he was better than we thought he was and simply never gave him a chance until everybody finally got so angry at Eastwood that there was no option.
Is Stevens Championship standard? Who said that, I must have missed it.
Stevens is only what 23? Maybe Brown/Eastwood didn't believe Stevens was ready what well over a season before when Archer came in.
It would be interesting to see but I suspect that it will continue to be conjecture.
Regardless we have a good young keeper where the coaching team deserve credit and hopefully he continues to get better and does end up in the Premiership,!

Good to see Eastwood and Brown getting most of the credit for his performances, though. We can’t have it not be a coaching master stroke. Robinson has even said in the Mail piece that Stevens’ form really shows the value of competition, and having players genuinely push each other for the shirt. This is good news! I look forward to having two right backs, two left backs, and four centre backs at the start of next season. Because as the man himself says, it’s really important.
You always make lots of good points but I sometimes think you seek certainty where none is available. There is a lot of randomness in life. No one knew how Stevens would do till he was played - I expect Elliott Jackson looked good in training, but did you see his debut? He was petrified, and juggled the simplest ball. (This may be before your time).

I would add that now it's easier than ever to blood ' youngsters ' compared to the days of only one sub so you got the shirt you get 90mins !
A few 10/ 15 min cameo roles with the odd start thrown in for 19/ 20 yo surely should be easy enough and give them the opportunity to show how good they are ( Jack Stevens ) or not (Kelly , Winnall , Grayson ) not our players but we could have put (Lofthouse , LC-B , Elechi ) in the side instead .
If Easty wouldn't have had his awful dip in form where would Jack be now I wonder ???

I would add that now it's easier than ever to blood ' youngsters ' compared to the days of only one sub so you got the shirt you get 90mins !
A few 10/ 15 min cameo roles with the odd start thrown in for 19/ 20 yo surely should be easy enough and give them the opportunity to show how good they are ( Jack Stevens ) or not (Kelly , Winnall , Grayson ) not our players but we could have put (Lofthouse , LC-B , Elechi ) in the side instead .
If Easty wouldn't have had his awful dip in form where would Jack be now I wonder ???
Winnall? He is our player, unfortunately!!

Back
Top Bottom