Other - Rest of the World Maradona

A troubled soul but undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers of his generation. Perhaps he will find peace in the hands of God.....

2 obvious memories of him - the hand of god, and that time he ran up to the camera off his face on coke (allegedly).
was a big character though

2 obvious memories of him - the hand of god, and that time he ran up to the camera off his face on coke (allegedly).
was a big character though
I have 2 others.
The 'other' goal when he ran through what seemed like the whole England team.
Also in the same World Cup, Argentina were an average side but won it due to Maradona. I have never seen a WC won sue to the brilliance of 1 player.

I have 2 others.
Also in the same World Cup, Argentina were an average side but won it due to Maradona. I have never seen a WC won sue to the brilliance of 1 player.
Baggio nearly won it for an average(ish) Italy in 1994......until he lost it for them in the final.

Poor man’s Ramon Diaz.

Getting old gracefully was never in the life plan for Maradona. Larger than life, controversial, talented, mad as a box of frogs.

Regardless of whether you liked him or not, he’ll be missed.

Baggio nearly won it for an average(ish) Italy in 1994......until he lost it for them in the final.
Paolo Rossi in '82 as well. Carried Italy to that win.

He taught us that cheating is prosperous. A great legacy to leave behind.....

Poor man’s Ramon Diaz.

Getting old gracefully was never in the life plan for Maradona. Larger than life, controversial, talented, mad as a box of frogs.

Regardless of whether you liked him or not, he’ll be missed.

He did well to get as old as he was I think if even half the stories in the media about him were true.

His cheating would be considered "professional" and normal behaviour now which is sad. Still an a**e for that handball but an incredible player nonetheless and the best in his generation. At least he didn't go into Football Administration like Platini and screw the whole game up.

I have 2 others.
Which is perhaps what puts him above Messi and Ronaldo.
That World Cup in 1986 and the season Oxford had that year, what a childhood.
RIP Maradona

Which is perhaps what puts him above Messi and Ronaldo.
That World Cup in 1986 and the season Oxford had that year, what a childhood.
RIP Maradona

Tbf, Ronaldo has pretty much carried Portugal for many years and they did win the Euros as a result. Messi on the otherhand has been a disappointment if you look at his international record.

Last edited:
There were times I despised him and times I was mesmerised by Maradona. The recent documentary about him was excellent. Despite the cheating, I think there's a big place in football for bizarre characters and flawed geniuses, otherwise we would all get bored by the Coldplay-listening, Bentley Continental-driving, tea-total, controlled-diet, in-bed-by-11 crowd.

Back
Top Bottom