London Road photos

From the other stands it looked like the London Road, when full, just went back and back right into the roof. And produced a fantastic noise. I remember the electric atmosphere of Oxford v Chelsea FA Cup 4th round 1999 under the lights. Due to some dubious refereeing that night we were held to a draw by the Premiership league leaders, but completely out playing them. The London Road end were an extra player that night!
I know what you mean!

As a former Osler Roader, I used to love the sight of London Road, full to bursting, roaring out all of our songs!

God I miss that place, I've been to many stadiums around the country over the years, but none of them can match the cauldron like atmosphere of The Manor when it was bouncing.

It was a shithole, but it was OUR shithole!

I know what you mean!

As a former Osler Roader, I used to love the sight of London Road, full to bursting, roaring out all of our songs!

God I miss that place, I've been to many stadiums around the country over the years, but none of them can match the cauldron like atmosphere of The Manor when it was bouncing.

It was a shithole, but it was OUR shithole!
Totally agree. I’ve not been to a place that matches it either.
Football at its best!

Might be worth contacting Oxford Mail? They must have a library of pictures..

It's not a shot of the London Road but I clearly remember them having a picture of the ball leaving Joey's foot for that Blackpool goal, that is a print I wouldn't mind having. Even better would be a picture of the ball mid journey, when it seems to be a couple of yards above the bar!

London Road End - Winter 1984
ErCraW5XMAAN7vl
I saw this on Twitter was surprised to see my dad and the back of my head, it’s always great to see theses photos!! (Would make a good picture book, all the old photos )

1984 was my 1st year as a season ticket holder. Stood right side London road right at the front, right next to the gap in the fence separating the right and left side. Just a fraction outside the right hand post.
It was a truly unique ground such a special place.

V Watford in the FA Cup ..... the one and only time my sister went in the London road end, ...and she was sat on the wall when it collapsed
January 71, we were 2/3 of the way up the stand , directly behind the section that collapsed but behind a barrier.

January 71, we were 2/3 of the way up the stand , directly behind the section that collapsed but behind a barrier.
I heard about this , but never seen photo. It looks heavy , and why are the OB all looking the other way ? And 71 Wow....before my time ,my first game was in 79 .

Ah that match, there was a bit of a fight before the wall collapsed and a glancing blow knocked my contact lens out! Stood rooted to the spot for the rest of the match somehow but couldnt find my lens at the end not surprisingly. Was that the match that ended with a draw and the replay had the floodlights go out and then fixed by an Oxford fan and then we lost?

Ah that match, there was a bit of a fight before the wall collapsed and a glancing blow knocked my contact lens out! Stood rooted to the spot for the rest of the match somehow but couldnt find my lens at the end not surprisingly. Was that the match that ended with a draw and the replay had the floodlights go out and then fixed by an Oxford fan and then we lost?
The game above was in 1971 and the ‘floodlight’ game was in 1997.

That’s one hell of a wait for a replay.

The game above was in 1971 and the ‘floodlight’ game was in 1997.

That’s one hell of a wait for a replay.
Lol , yes I recall the ‘floodlights’ game definitely not in 1971 😂

LR was ruined when the dividing fence was put up and moat put in,i remember away fans left hand side and Oxford right hand....a line of police down the middle,pushing and shoving until the cop line burst then a punch up until the cops restored their line,many a cops helmet knocked off his head and sent flying down the terrace....cant for the life of me understand why they had it that way???.....remember Middlesbro as a particularly mad game.

Back
Top Bottom