Live music post-covid

register an 'objection' in the comments section .... point out the cultural significance of the venue , and maybe point out that with nowhere to play, the vibrant and productive Oxford music scene, which, over recentish decades , has produced nationally and internationally renowned bands and acts, will cease to exit.... or words along those lines
Done.

Small pubs/music venues are something to be cherished. We are going back to rehearsing in May (blimey, we are going to be rusty) and are offering to play for free at our local venues (for a limited time!) to help them hopefully get the crowds and money in.

Don't worry, at the type/size/pay of venues we play that isn't going to put any proper working musicians out of work!

nearly 2K and growing people have joined the FB Save the 'sheaf group

Year ago today that I last caught a band live, Supergrass in the Birmingham O2, they were bloody brilliant.

I think I'd have to go back to when I was 16 for the last time I went a year without seeing some live music 😔

1287 comments now, practically all of which will be objections including mine :mad:

The Wheatsheaf planning application contains some gems such as the upstairs space 'contains a formerly used function room' as if it were a meeting room not a music venue, and the only "formerly used" part is the interruption due to Covid. They were most certainly hoping to get it through without it being noticed that a gig venue would be closed.

The Wheatsheaf planning application contains some gems such as the upstairs space 'contains a formerly used function room' as if it were a meeting room not a music venue, and the only "formerly used" part is the interruption due to Covid. They were most certainly hoping to get it through without it being noticed that a gig venue would be closed.
owner Glen de Unger, and his spin doctor / agent Tim Smith (of Riach Architects) are rather economical with the facts....woner if either of 'em fagged for our current PM at Eton, given his (the PM's) aversion to telling the truth?

Don`t hold your breath...... :(:(

The Charlotte in Leicester is now a Chinese supermarket and student flats and I reckon the Sheaf will go the same way.

The days of such grass roots music places are numbered because the kids these days would rather read an Insta post or watch Tik Tok.

Feck me I sound like my Grandad !! :ROFLMAO:

The Charlotte in Leicester is now a Chinese supermarket and student flats and I reckon the Sheaf will go the same way.

The days of such grass roots music places are numbered because the kids these days would rather read an Insta post or watch Tik Tok.

Only that's not true, the Wheatsheaf is well used and is packed on good nights ... I'd say with a mix of older people and quite young kids, not so many Gen X in the middle.

In this case it is not lack of use (Covid shutdown apart). It's just you can make much more money fleecing students.

It’s harder for orchestras etc, (The Polyphonic Spree?) who can’t even get together to rehearse or perform because of numbers. Singing has been shown to be dangerous (distancing of 5m+ needed), so it will be a long time until choirs or opera are back.
I feel taunted every time I pick up coffee at our local cafe because they have a wall of posters for upcoming gigs and one of them is for one I was supposed to be in in March - an opera by Tim Finn. Would have been cracking.
As much as I appreciate your points, when and where has singing been shown to be dangerous? That is an absolute load of nonsense. Wasn’t by chance a ‘government expert’ that said that, was it?

As much as I appreciate your points, when and where has singing been shown to be dangerous? That is an absolute load of nonsense. Wasn’t by chance a ‘government expert’ that said that, was it?

Only that's not true, the Wheatsheaf is well used and is packed on good nights ... I'd say with a mix of older people and quite young kids, not so many Gen X in the middle.

As were many venues that sit on prime real estate.
The campaign will only delay the inevitable I`m sorry to say.
There will be a few more council meetings, it might even get "saved" for a year or so then the application will come again.

Year ago today that I last caught a band live, Supergrass in the Birmingham O2, they were bloody brilliant.

I think I'd have to go back to when I was 16 for the last time I went a year without seeing some live music 😔
Saw The Sisters of Mercy at a packed Rock City Nottingham almost a year ago (bloody awesome too) - no live music is a nughtmare

Oxford city centre lost the Cellar (Corn Dolly/Dolly at different times ) a year or so ago.To lose one venue is careless, to lose another would IMO be criminal ..Radio Oxford &Oxford mail are supporting Save the 'sheaf campaign...as are a number of oxford city councillors... if nothing else it keeps (some of)us busy railing against 'the man' in these lockdown times, and fighting to keep Oxfords live music scene, which has been vibrant, diverse and productive for several decades or more , alive for more than a while longer yet. Hopefully

The council claim to be committed to cultural venues so let’s see them provide a replacement if this application is approved

Singing is dangerous in that it spreads droplets around freely. But hopefully there will come a time when we’re able to mingle without danger of infection.

Back
Top Bottom