League One Judge - "It`s a circus".....

Imagine if they couldn’t fulfil their fixtures this season. A certain result would be expunged from the record 🤣.

In all seriousness though, I always want to see Swindon do badly. I want to see them experience rubbish players, lots of losses, angry fans, malevolent owners and humiliating relegations. Never do I want to them go to the wall. A constant tale of misery and misfortune and repeated defeats to Oxford is good enough for me. They’re my favourite rival to have. Any of the other pretenders are simply local derbies, the rivalry with Swindon is the rivalry.

I wonder whether this is Lee Power mind games in order to finally get rid of the club to one of the possible owners (whoever they may be) by crying that he has no money anymore.

Imagine if they couldn’t fulfil their fixtures this season. A certain result would be expunged from the record 🤣.

In all seriousness though, I always want to see Swindon do badly. I want to see them experience rubbish players, lots of losses, angry fans, malevolent owners and humiliating relegations. Never do I want to them go to the wall. A constant tale of misery and misfortune and repeated defeats to Oxford is good enough for me. They’re my favourite rival to have. Any of the other pretenders are simply local derbies, the rivalry with Swindon is the rivalry.

I wonder whether this is Lee Power mind games in order to finally get rid of the club to one of the possible owners (whoever they may be) by crying that he has no money anymore.
From what I can gather from the court hearing, no one wants the club. One of the major shareholders wants his stake back and Gareth Barry wants nothing to do with it either. Power isn’t able to sell the club within the next 12 months due to the date of the trial being sometime early next year. That means another 12 months of selling their only assets (players) to stay afloat and they can’t even do that again, until the summer transfer window opens. Power doesn’t have enough of his own money to cover the costs..

I would be VERY surprised if they didn’t enter administration by March at the absolute latest!

Last edited:

View attachment 5547
Regardless of who the club is, you never want to see another football club going bust. The football pyramid in England is the best in the world, but the more that is chipped away at with clubs going insolvent the weaker it becomes.

That said, and again without prejudice to the particular club in question here, quotes like the following do leave me feeling little sympathy for the owners who got their clubs into these situations:

"I funded the club and invested very heavily in the club for promotion last year to make sure the team got out of League Two, that was me, no one else."

I obviously barely know any of the facts, but this seems to be basically the situation we had with Bury - a team spends more money than it can afford to get out of League 2, and then runs out of funds shortly thereafter. It's difficult to feel too much sympathy, given this promotion presumably came at the expense of sensibly-run teams who will have missed out on promotion last year as a result of one team's overindulgence. You can obviously point to COVID as being a uniquely complicating factor, but it does seem like clubs have, by and large, been supported by their owners and/or sensibly run in response to the sudden drop-off in income. Far fewer clubs have gone to the wall than I would have expected if you'd told me this time last year there would be no crowds in stadiums for what's looking likely to be up to 15 months. So it does seem like the chairman in this case has overstretched himself. Which, again, essentially isn't fair to the other 23 teams in League 2 last year.

From what I can gather from the court hearing, no one wants the club. One of the major shareholders wants his stake back and Gareth Barry wants nothing to do with it either. Power isn’t able to sell the club within the next 12 months due to the date of the trial being sometime early next year. That means another 12 months of selling their only assets (players) to stay afloat and they can’t even do that again, until the summer transfer window opens. Power doesn’t have enough of his own money to cover the costs..

I would be VERY surprised if they didn’t enter administration by March at the absolute latest!

I think there are 1 or 2 interested but not at what was being asked or they are waiting for share ownership situation to be sorted.

I think there are 1 or 2 interested but not at what was being asked or they are waiting for share ownership situation to be sorted.
That’s at LEAST another 12 months away and nothing can be done in terms of sale, until the court trails have concluded. I don’t necessarily want a football club to go under but objectively speaking, from the outside in, this is dire.

That’s at LEAST another 12 months away and nothing can be done in terms of sale, until the court trails have concluded. I don’t necessarily want a football club to go under but objectively speaking, from the outside in, this is dire.

Undoubtedly dire. Both parties in the case (Power and Standing) could agree a sale to a 3rd party with proceeds going into an escrow account until the court case is decided.

Undoubtedly dire. Both parties in the case (Power and Standing) could agree a sale to a 3rd party with proceeds going into an escrow account until the court case is decided.
Are they able to do that, while they are going through court proceedings?

Back
Top Bottom