Ex Player Jack Stevens

id rather play football.

Goalkeepers especially, can have a whole career on the bench not playing.

Just checked, and they have Copa America winner Martinez and Jed steer who has a number of prem appearances already who would be ahead of JS.
Third choice kalinic is on a season long loan away, so if he does sign he would be in competition with the Finnish u21 keeper for the backup backup slot

Any chance we could sell him then, but loan him back for the next season?

He's not going to learn a whole lot if he can't even get a regular game for the Villa reserves or U21s! But this way, Villa can buy Stevens' potential (which is what they'd really be paying for anyway - I don't think anyone believes he's a Premiership ready keeper yet) but continue to have him develop and gain quality match experience.

£2m for a L1 goalie is far too much, we'd probably be looking at £500k plus add ons sadly.

Unfortunately @eaststandboy you are not far wrong there. Realistically the most i can see us getting is £1m. All these figures of multi million £ transfer fees wont be happening.

Saying that id love to be proved wrong.

Its a win win situation for Villa, only losers will be OUFC :cry:

As others have mentioned perhaps selling Stevens and then a loan back would work

Everyone knows Stevens needs to play games to continue to develop.

So how about Villa buying then loaning back to us this season, then we have a year to get a replacement sorted. Then year 2 Villa look at him again and maybe loan him to a championship club. Even if he wasn't ready after 2 years for Premier league football, and Villa wanted to then sell then they'd get decent money back for a young goalie with experience. But it will be interesting to see where Stevens is at after a further full 2 seasons..

That for me would be a lowish risk policy for a buying club and for Stevens.

My question is. Do we have to sell ?. How much money does this consortium actually have to put into the club, assuming the takeover goes ahead ?.
How ambitious are they with all the talk about being a Championship club ?. Yes, we have unfortunately had to sell some of our best players to survive in the past, and unless big changes are afoot then i can only see their being no difference in the future, we need a stable side to gain promotion otherwise we are going nowhere., at present we are a solid league one club.
If you were Jack Stevens and wanted to further your career and no doubt quadruple your salary you would put in a transfer request if the club didn’t let you go.
The club might say they value a player more eg Atkinson, but in the end he would go
This happens to all clubs except the top few clubs
Kane will go from Tottenham for the right money

As others have mentioned perhaps selling Stevens and then a loan back would work

Everyone knows Stevens needs to play games to continue to develop.

So how about Villa buying then loaning back to us this season, then we have a year to get a replacement sorted. Then year 2 Villa look at him again and maybe loan him to a championship club. Even if he wasn't ready after 2 years for Premier league football, and Villa wanted to then sell then they'd get decent money back for a young goalie with experience. But it will be interesting to see where Stevens is at after a further full 2 seasons..

That for me would be a lowish risk policy for a buying club and for Stevens.
is this really how people want to see football, A top club buys a player because they can then Loan him for a couple of years before selling him

Can't see us getting anywhere near 2 million for Jack. Take Daniel Bentley ex Southend keeper that was sold to Brentford for 1.1 million in 2016, he was far more experienced then Jack. Keepers don't fetch the money that outfield players do and maybe us as a club should refuse all offers even if Jack does want the move.

I just don't understand the logic for that figure?! Could you explain?

What about the years left on his contract for starters?

I just don't understand the logic for that figure?! Could you explain?

What about the years left on his contract for starters?
Jack is young, goalies tend to get better with age and in their prime in late 20's. He is unproven at other clubs. and only played 27 times for the 1st team.

Have you seen any 23 year old goalies move from under the Championship to a higher club for more than £500k?

What we should do is say to JS you’ve only just signed a three year deal as a club we expect you to at least stay for this season and then next summer we will sell if a club comes in for you and if your no happy you can go back to being our U23 goalie… simples

What we should do is say to JS you’ve only just signed a three year deal as a club we expect you to at least stay for this season and then next summer we will sell if a club comes in for you and if your no happy you can go back to being our U23 goalie… simples
It really isn't that simple.
As others have said he will probably quadruple his salary. You can not keep a player against his will if a PL club comes in ( and if the price is right)

Can't see us getting anywhere near 2 million for Jack. Take Daniel Bentley ex Southend keeper that was sold to Brentford for 1.1 million in 2016, he was far more experienced then Jack. Keepers don't fetch the money that outfield players do and maybe us as a club should refuse all offers even if Jack does want the move.
But transfer fees have kept going up wildly in the 5 years since Bentley transferred. Premier league 2 mill is peanuts , absolutely peanuts .
Football is a awful place these days with money dominant more than ever.
Jack would be mad not to go and become a millionaire if he signs a decent contract .
A year ago Mellow Yellow had him down as not good enough for us !!

Crazy , unrealistic and unfair . The guy will make enough money to set him up for life .
Sadly football doesn't work like that anymore as just too much wonder about.

None of those transfers were in the last 5 years when prices have further exploded.

I say keep the guy another year and add 60 appearances to his experience. He’s only going to get better and his value will go up.

We have a three year contract to play with. Then sell him for even more in 12 months time when epl clubs have more cash post Covid . He’s not going to get worse with age. He’s a fine wine

Back
Top Bottom