National News Harry Dunn crash

Yes, agree it is for court to decide, but my question was what you thought was justified? If you don't have a view, no worries, i was just curious.

I was being facetious about the community hours before tbh.

I don't have a view, I just don't find it acceptable for her or her lawyers to decide the outcome. This isn't the US legal system of negotiation, this is the British legal system.

I think it is a cop out in terms of justice and I hope we reciprocate for a virtual trial and the accused to say what sentence they should face on a high profile case in the future where the US demand extradition.

"Usually result in an immediate custodial sentence"

And she didn`t leave the scene as she co-operated with the police and was breathalysed according to Wiki,

The mitigation of a good QC will see her sentence being non-custodial.
If convicted of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving, immediate custody is almost a certainty - if convicted of the same by Careless then yes Suspended Sentence Order would be possible

Not always a woman drone round the Milton interchange missed her turning carried on and drove through red lights and hit and killed a motorbike rider, non custodial a pittance of a punishment and if my memory serves me correct only a small driving ban. So a minimum custodial is not always a given right.
Depends on which offence she was actually prosecutedfor/convicted of

Careless driving can't see it being a two year sentence, possibly custodial for dangerous. I guess from my perspective it has since emerged that this seems to be a problem with a system gone wrong causing the accident. I just hope things are being done to fix this.
Careless Driving simpliciter is a non-custodial offence anyway

Depends on which offence she was actually prosecutedfor/convicted of
She was found guilty I think it was death by reckless driving, she should have got a prison sentence especially how she kept on saying she drove through green lights so the motorbike rider wells going through red but witnesses said he went through on green, I missed it by 10 mins I had passed through Milton to drop the wife of in Sutton Courtney and when I returned I saw the emergency services and a tent up they were quickly on the scene but tragically it was to late in the motor bike riders life.

Not if she had diplomatic immunity

There in is the "murky" side of secret services and those people who protect us.
She may have had her own immunity or been covered by her husbands, either way she was whisked away to the US PDQ so knew people in the right places.

The offence itself (particularly leaving thec scene) would usually result in an immediate custodial sentence
I read that had she been tried in the UK, she would probably have not received a custodial sentence.
I am not sure how true this is but maybe its not as clear as you suggest?

I read that had she been tried in the UK, she would probably have not received a custodial sentence.
I am not sure how true this is but maybe its not as clear as you suggest?
I guess from my perspective it has since emerged that there has been a number of driving incidents from people from that base. To me the most important thing (I'm obviously not Harry Dunns family so understand their battle for justice) is that the system is fixed more than individual punishment. Whether that is increased training for base personnel and/or increased warning signs in the area or something else. It seems to me the most important thing now is to minimise the chances of this happening again.

She did abscond from the country after being told not too. Presumably that’s a crime in itself? (Not my area of expertise though)
No, not if they have diplomatic immunity. Technically, she didn't abscond, she left the country legally unless it turns out she had diplomatic immunity. Whether you or think she should have diplomatic immunity is another question all together.

No, not if they have diplomatic immunity. Technically, she didn't abscond, she left the country legally unless it turns out she had diplomatic immunity. Whether you or think she should have diplomatic immunity is another question all together.
Fair enough. But was there something about her diplomatic immunity being questioned? Because she wasn’t directly employed by the American government?

I’d still like to have justice for that young boy who was killed in Blackbird Leys all them years ago. I think it was on Pegasus Road. I’m pretty sure there are people that know who did it, but are afraid to come forward.

I don’t ever recall anyone being arrested and convicted for the crime, and believe it was a stolen Astra.

Fair enough. But was there something about her diplomatic immunity being questioned? Because she wasn’t directly employed by the American government?
Her husband is a member of the intelligence community

She should never of been allowed to swiftly disappear the way she did. She should have been extradited back here, and justice should have been served for the boys family.
But she had diplomatic status Alda there is nothing we could do to keep her and there is nothing we could do

She should never of been allowed to swiftly disappear the way she did. She should of been extradited back here, and justice should of been served for the boys family.

She was allowed too leave due to her husbands job. She couldn`t be extradited as she had DI. They are getting justice, albeit a long time coming.
She`s pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in exactly the same way as anyone else could.

She was allowed too leave due to her husbands job. She couldn`t be extradited as she had DI. They are getting justice, albeit a long time coming.
She`s pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in exactly the same way as anyone else could.
Are they getting justice? So she admits it on the understanding that she won’t have to go to jail?

Are they getting justice? So she admits it on the understanding that she won’t have to go to jail?

In the linked article the parents seem happy (as can be) with the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom