Non-League Farewell Bootham Crescent

captainox

The last match has been played at York's Bootham Crescent. Their next home game (if their season continues) will be at the much delayed LNER Stadium.

Their media chap has produced a great video.

A real tear jerker for me considering I spent the entirety of my childhood in York. Many memories and friendships built at Bootham, from all four sides of the ground as I was of course in the away end when OUFC played their.

A proper football ground amongst the houses and walkable from the city centre. The new place is most certainly not that but hopefully will serve them well as they seek to ride back into the football league

The last match has been played at York's Bootham Crescent. Their next home game (if their season continues) will be at the much delayed LNER Stadium.

A real tear jerker for me considering I spent the entirety of my childhood in York. Many memories and friendships built at Bootham, from all four sides of the ground as I was of course in the away end when OUFC played their.

A proper football ground amongst the houses and walkable from the city centre. The new place is most certainly not that but hopefully will serve them well as they seek to ride back into the football league

Thanks for posting.

Lot of affection for York and hope they get back into the league before too long.

Likewise, memories of Bootham Crescent from many years. My first away game with OUFC travelling up on a "football special" on a day when so many supporters made the trip a second train had to be organised. 3rd round FA Cup (we won)
Years later going up with Mrs Lounger and having two long weekends in York going round the museums and walking the city wall (and dodging the flooding one time!)
Hopefully they will come to need a proper stadium with a return to the league.

EsPJZ2NXEAAznq2

• React
Reactions: m
Bootham Crescent - another ground gone. First saw a game there in 1983 when John Byrne
was playing up front with Keith Walwyn under Boss Denis Smith.

In 2020 I’ve lost Griffin Park, Kingsmeadow, York Street and now Bootham Crescent from my list.

As has been said, a ground that will be sadly missed. Traditional position in a working class area within a short reach of city centre pubs and restaurants. Nice mention of York Street, Boston by @WestOxon U’s too. Another town centre ground relocating to the outskirts where there might be more parking, but no sense of community or nearby places to eat and drink.

Whoever designed that deserves shooting!

It’s got four stands though ... It is a bit unoriginal admittedly.
Bootham Crescent - another ground gone. First saw a game there in 1983 when John Byrne
was playing up front with Keith Walwyn under Boss Denis Smith.

In 2020 I’ve lost Griffin Park, Kingsmeadow, York Street and now Bootham Crescent from my list.

I can’t say I’ll miss Kingsmeadow. It’s a non-league ground and for a one off has some novelty but having repeated league fixtures there and putting up with terrible views on that low terrace drags after the third visit there.

Griffin Park on the other hand 😢.

Showing my age, went there in January 1973 FA Cup third round we won 1-0. Went on a football special from Oxford to York. It all kick off a bit when we went from the station to the ground. Lovely ground great atmosphere.

Showing my age, went there in January 1973 FA Cup third round we won 1-0. Went on a football special from Oxford to York. It all kick off a bit when we went from the station to the ground. Lovely ground great atmosphere.
That was the game. Plod took us through all the back streets and alleys to the ground. We came on the second train and were met with a trail of destruction! At some point a whole wall had been pushed over into the neighbouring street.
Once in the ground we were shown into the side stand, unhappy with this a surge went forward, the wooden fence collapsed and we all ran across the pitch to the away end. I think the locals were a bit overawed by the numbers who had travelled!
I do remember the train stopping countless times on the way up as one joker after another pulled the emergency stop cord. Poor old plod on board had all been brought in at the last minute and were not impressed.
As for it being my first away game, I was impressed!

Shame. I went to our last game there when we were going for promotion from League 2. Bit like visiting the Manor - a proper city to walk back to after the match. None of that out of town crap.

I understand that some town centre grounds are near derelict and that the land is worth a fortune. But four tin sheds around a pitch on an industrial estate out of town do not make a home for a football club.

Back
Top Bottom