Fantasy Football

Do you want genuine tips or a humorous one liner?

Here's something I'd like confirmed before tomorrow, if you have the insight.

So many folk aren't starting with Man U or Man City players because they aren't playing in GW1. However, many are planning on playing a Wildcard in GW2 and getting in the De Bruyne/Fernandes/Sterling types.

I figured this may bump up the prices hugely if a player goes from say 15% ownership to 35% in a week. But one of my friends said that Wildcard transfers don't count to player price rises. Is this something you know to be true?

Here's something I'd like confirmed before tomorrow, if you have the insight.

So many folk aren't starting with Man U or Man City players because they aren't playing in GW1. However, many are planning on playing a Wildcard in GW2 and getting in the De Bruyne/Fernandes/Sterling types.

I figured this may bump up the prices hugely if a player goes from say 15% ownership to 35% in a week. But one of my friends said that Wildcard transfers don't count to player price rises. Is this something you know to be true?
That is a nonsense and a half. Prices are prices no matter how or when you make the change, and you’re right - City and United players will surge as of tomorrow. It’s all based on when you bring them in. For example you could bring them in tomorrow before they rise, then take them out in a few days, and then when you went to put them back into your wildcard draft before next weekend you’d have to pay more than you were paying before if they’ve risen since then.

I personally have Rashford on my bench ready to go for GW2, and will be having a one week punt with my third striker (I nearly always play 343) before changing them to Martial for my free transfer, so I have a United double up for next week. Then I’m moving Aubameyang down to either Sterling or KDB for GW3.

If you were really 45th at one point and finished in the top 1000 then genuine tips, absolutely
Oh it’s real. Last season was my first season playing for the overall rank rather than just using it for a work head-to-head mini league. Hence the enormous jump in my rank history below.

0F05060B-4072-4643-A90C-FB92338EA3C4.jpeg

Well there it is. The next eight months of my life, completely up in flames all over again.

For @HampshireYellow :

1) Your captain is everything. I was one of the highest scoring captainers in the whole game last season and that’s the main reason I did so well. Make sure you look ahead in terms of fixtures and can always see a clear and obvious / favourable captain pick in your squad for every game, or make sure you have a clear path to one in terms of upcoming transfer moves that you might be planning. If in doubt, stick the armband on a Liverpool or City attacking asset, if you have one. They’re largely fixture proof.

2) Try to see your squad as a collection of price points, rather than focusing purely on individual names. That way you can move freely between multiple assets in each position, and you can nearly always get to somebody in a single move if they start to go on a hot streak. You’ll see within the first 2/3 weeks which unlikely heroes are emerging from the shadows, and if you have a good spread of price points, you’ll be able to jump on them quickly.

3) Nobody is untouchable. If someone is performing badly or is going to hit a really rough patch of fixtures, or maybe even both, don’t be afraid to move them out. Try not to romanticise a pick in your head, whether it’s a bit of a punt that isn’t paying off or whether it’s a big name player you feel you can’t ever be without. Every starting player in your squad has to be bringing in the points, and if they aren’t scoring they should always be in danger.

4) Don’t park excess cash on your bench. Try to decide on a formation you fancy pursuing, put the money into the starting lineup, and fill your bench with cheap players who you ideally won’t want to see getting much game time at all. A great way of doing this is in defence, by picking up two or three cheap 4.5m defenders and looking at how their fixtures rotate. You can find some really good combos of cheap defenders who will actually play, and rotate them based on how their fixtures correlate, while leaving one or two more premium defenders in the lineup for the long haul.

5) Don’t over invest in goalkeepers. Pick one starter to set and forget, and plonk a 4.0 no hoper on the bench because you won’t play them anyway, or get two 4.5 options who rotate similar to the defensive tactic. You shouldn’t be spending more than 9.0 on your keepers. Top end picks like Allison and Ederson are a waste of time - they might keep a good amount of clean sheets but their teams don’t concede many shots, so they will rarely get save points or bonus points. If they concede one goal their returns are shot. A cheap keeper might concede 2/3 goals and lose a point, but they might get two back for making 6 saves. Same as if they keep a clean sheet - they’ll probably get extra points for 3+ saves and that makes them more likely to get bonus as well. Nick Pope was my hero last season - 4.5 and was the best scoring keeper in the game. Regularly got 9/10 points for a clean sheet due to saves and bonus.

6) If all else fails, pick the talisman. You need goals and assists or you’re done for, so pick the players who have high goal involvements even if their team isn’t great. Set pieces can be a great source of cheap points - look at who is on penalties and free kicks. Mitrovic for Fulham is a good example. Just 6.0 and is on penalties, and scores something daft like more than 40% of Fulham’s goals himself, and gets either a goal or an assist in more than 60% of their total goals scored. If money is tight and you need someone to stick in and tick over while you deal with other things, find the talisman. Whether it’s KDB at City or someone like Pereira for West Brom, a lot of teams have one at both ends of the table.

Hope some of this helps, but don’t get too good at the game. I would still like to have a chance of winning.

Last edited:
Can you post up the code in case anyone else wants to join please?

HEREWEGO.

8DF45D75-E698-4BEC-AC15-293746CEE38C.jpeg

GW2:
Jimenez > Martial & Salah > Rashford (-4)

GW3:
Auba > Sterling / KDB

GW4:
James > Robertson

GW5:
Justin > Lamptey / Ferguson

Anyone setup an OUFC fantasy football League for this year?

I am doing one in The Telegraph, but for work, so would only join a Telegraph one, i barely keep one team up to date let alone 2 :)

Back
Top Bottom