Face coverings

Might be a silly question, but the other week in the queue outside at Waitrose. Every one is at least 2 metres apart, and it looks like Mickey Lewis has been setting out the pre-match cones for distancing. Anyway, there is an old man in front of me with a bandana across his mouth and nose. But he is keeping about 10 metres from the man in front because that person is vaping.

So was he overreacting? I know that vaping carries in the air far more than 2 metres, like cigarette smoke. But does COVID19 only really transfer on for instance coughs and sneezes droplets and where they land, rather than vaping?

Might be a silly question, but the other week in the queue outside at Waitrose. Every one is at least 2 metres apart, and it looks like Mickey Lewis has been setting out the pre-match cones for distancing. Anyway, there is an old man in front of me with a bandana on. But he is keeping about 10 metres from the man in front because that person is vaping.

So was he overreacting? I know that vaping carries in the air far more than 2 metres, like cigarette smoke. But does COVID19 only really transfer on for instance coughs and sneezes droplets and where they land, rather than vaping?
Great question. I can’t be certain but I would guess that vaping makes no difference. The vaper will expel just as much virus with a non-vaping breath as with a vaping.
What vaping does show you is how far droplets from your breath do travel. If everyone breathed out coloured vapour I reckon there would be no problem maintaining distancing.
When around other people we walk through a soup of their exhaled breath. That’s why you should keep your distance and not spend too much time in strange company, wash your hands and not touch your face. Or “stay alert” as the govt abbreviates it to.

Actually they might have the right idea... apart from the increased cancer, heart risk etc!!!

Hmmmm... I feel another conspiracy theory coming on..

Might be a silly question, but the other week in the queue outside at Waitrose. Every one is at least 2 metres apart, and it looks like Mickey Lewis has been setting out the pre-match cones for distancing. Anyway, there is an old man in front of me with a bandana across his mouth and nose. But he is keeping about 10 metres from the man in front because that person is vaping.

Covid is a relatively large particle, one of the largest, so won`t be floating in vape steam/fog.
However ,as above, it does make folk think how far breath travels.

Great question. I can’t be certain but I would guess that vaping makes no difference. The vaper will expel just as much virus with a non-vaping breath as with a vaping.
What vaping does show you is how far droplets from your breath do travel. If everyone breathed out coloured vapour I reckon there would be no problem maintaining distancing.
When around other people we walk through a soup of their exhaled breath. That’s why you should keep your distance and not spend too much time in strange company, wash your hands and not touch your face. Or “stay alert” as the govt abbreviates it to.
Does that mean we should limit our time on here..?

Back
Top Bottom