National News The BBC

It's interesting the only organised group seeking to defund the BBC is coming from the right Ron isn't it. It doesn't seem like the "right wing bias" of the BBC bothers left-wing people enough to stop paying their license fee en masse or start their own news channel.

Isn't this just a massive red herring?

Almost by definition the conservative right don't think that they should be held to account by anybody other than - perhaps - themselves.

And absolutely by definition the true left believe in state-ownwership.

Last edited:
Isn't this just a massive red herring?

Almost by definition the Conservative right don't think that they should be held to account by anybody other than - perhaps - themselves.

And absolutely by definition the true left believe in state-ownwership.
Absolute Hokum 🤣 the conservatives are the ones trying to defend free speech while the left run around trying to cancel anyone or anything that disagrees with them

Trying to defend free speech by seeking to defund a broadcasting corporation?
In this example, "free speech" clearly means "if you're rich enough, you can buy free speech".

Last edited:
It's interesting the only organised group seeking to defund the BBC is coming from the right Ron isn't it. It doesn't seem like the "right wing bias" of the BBC bothers left-wing people enough to stop paying their license fee en masse or start their own news channel.
Posting links to articles from right wing, Tory flag waving publications shows how little you understand bias.

Can you post something from the BBC and can you critique it to explain why you think it is bias.

I was being flippant. My point absolutely is no one in government gives deals that large on companies that new....

"Just 44 days later it had won a Department of Health contract – not advertised to other bidders – to supply 25 million gowns for health workers."

We have become Russia.
Hancock's former neighbour (who is categorically not his friend) has a firm that was recommended by Hancock for a multi-million pound contract to supply medical grade vials. Strangely the catering supplies company that has never made medical equipment is having difficulty supplying medical grade kit. Never mind the corrupt element, the sheer waste of public money is staggering. Its like the vaccine purchases, the UK has ordered almost half a billion doses of vaccines of various kinds (and in some ways it has ensured we have supply - but surely it is a) not great value, and b) preventing others from getting vaccines which is going to prolong the global pandemic and maintain risk to the UK).

• React
Reactions: QR
I know of PPE suppliers asking how they could supply government in lockdown 1. Companies that had the expertise and resources and couldn’t get near to government.

I know of PPE suppliers asking how they could supply government in lockdown 1. Companies that had the expertise and resources and couldn’t get near to government.
I know the director of a tech/electronics company who offered help to the government with building respirators or anything else they could assist with in the early stages of this. They never even had the courtesy of a reply. But then I suppose they didn't know anyone in the cabinet.

I know of several hundred shell companies that were punting for PPE business and failed the basic checks our Trust apply every day therefore preventing millions being lost to potentially fraudulent "businesses".

I know of several hundred shell companies that were punting for PPE business and failed the basic checks our Trust apply every day therefore preventing millions being lost to potentially fraudulent "businesses".
Pity the government wasn't as diligent as your Trust.

Posting links to articles from right wing, Tory flag waving publications shows how little you understand bias.

Can you post something from the BBC and can you critique it to explain why you think it is bias.
You've misunderstood QR, which is fair enough, because I was referring to a debate in a different thread with Big Ron. He seems to think evidence from biased news outlets backs up his points. My point is we can both do that until the cows come home. All news outlets have a bias, the BBC less so but impartial news is absolutely impossible.

Even what the news select to talk about reflects people's bias. The BBC will have ignored coca-cola telling their employees to "be less white" because it doesn't fit their agenda, which reflects the mainly metropolitan and middle class people who work there.

I read "tory flag waving" news because until GB news comes along I can't be bothered to watch identity politics bilge news on BBC Sky ITV or Channel 4. Its bizarre how a news outlet which supports its own country as opposed to an unelected foreign power is considered "Tory flag-waving", but I'd rather read news from outlets that aren't Britain hating considering I'm British and I like the country I live in.

Edit, also QR I'd be interested to hear your responses to the Tory flag-waving articles I shared which argue political bias in the BBC! I'm guessing you'll just ignore them because they don't fit your worldview, which is exactly why I ignore left-wing nonsense on the BBC and the Guardian.

You've misunderstood QR, which is fair enough, because I was referring to a debate in a different thread with Big Ron. He seems to think evidence from biased news outlets backs up his points. My point is we can both do that until the cows come home. All news outlets have a bias, the BBC less so but impartial news is absolutely impossible.

Even what the news select to talk about reflects people's bias. The BBC will have ignored coca-cola telling their employees to "be less white" because it doesn't fit their agenda, which reflects the mainly metropolitan and middle class people who work there.

I read "tory flag waving" news because until GB news comes along I can't be bothered to watch identity politics bilge news on BBC Sky ITV or Channel 4. Its bizarre how a news outlet which supports its own country as opposed to an unelected foreign power is considered "Tory flag-waving", but I'd rather read news from outlets that aren't Britain hating considering I'm British and I like the country I live in.

Edit, also QR I'd be interested to hear your responses to the Tory flag-waving articles I shared which argue political bias in the BBC! I'm guessing you'll just ignore them because they don't fit your worldview, which is exactly why I ignore left-wing nonsense on the BBC and the Guardian.
Christ, you do like to go around in circles and ignore the points being made. QR did ask you to raise what you thought were particular points of bias you have come across on the BBC and critique that. I assume that's a work in progress?

In what seems like a previous life, I put up some links from a variety of media where people from BAME backgrounds discussed their experiences of what they believed to be institutional racism. They weren't op-eds but peoples actual experiences. You dismissed those pieces on the basis that they must be inherently biased to come to those conclusions and what about racism toward white people and Coca-Cola and 'woke culture' and 'identity politics'! You then post a bunch of links from the right wing press - media organisations that have an anti-BBC bias, partly based on their politics but also on their owner's business interests, which mean they will always oppose a publicly funded broadcaster. Who 'elected' Murdoch, the Barclay brothers and the tax dodging owners of the Mail - I certainly didn't.

According to you, one posting simply cancels out the other. You begin with a conclusion , avoid any verification and shout down contradictory facts and opinions. Your answer to a question is to shout back a loaded question of your own. I was genuinely looking at other peoples experiences and suggesting there is an alternative view, but you are simply looking for confirmation.

I don't happen to believe the BBC is unduly biased to the right or to the left and just one little example comes to mind - I believe the 'Today' programme on Radio 4 is the highest rated news programming in the country with 7 million weekly listeners. That demographic is pretty heavily skewed to the over 50s and within that, probably toward a conservative (small c) majority. These people are not turning off in huge numbers or asking that the BBC is defunded - although I'm sure there are people who would like it reformed. If I disagree mightily with something I hear or see, I switch it off, but I don't tar the entire output of the corporation. I personally don't want 'Strictly' or 'Mrs Browns Boy's' from the BBC or them over bidding for sports events - but I appreciate the work done by local BBC radio (would any commercial concern really cover an Oxford Pappa John's game or other local sport?), 6 Music, the excellent world service and the generally very usable BBC website. Please, if you have examples of left-wing bias, expose them.

Y

Is this a regular occurrence or one exacerbated by the onset of Covid? Would it happen in 'normal' times?

Since when had it been the job of a news outlet to 'love its county'? It should be there to report the news in a balanced a way as is possible. Pushing the agenda of multimillionaire and billionaire is not loving your county.

Christ, you do like to go around in circles and ignore the points being made. QR did ask you to raise what you thought were particular points of bias you have come across on the BBC and critique that. I assume that's a work in progress?

In what seems like a previous life, I put up some links from a variety of media where people from BAME backgrounds discussed their experiences of what they believed to be institutional racism. They weren't op-eds but peoples actual experiences. You dismissed those pieces on the basis that they must be inherently biased to come to those conclusions and what about racism toward white people and Coca-Cola and 'woke culture' and 'identity politics'! You then post a bunch of links from the right wing press - media organisations that have an anti-BBC bias, partly based on their politics but also on their owner's business interests, which mean they will always oppose a publicly funded broadcaster. Who 'elected' Murdoch, the Barclay brothers and the tax dodging owners of the Mail - I certainly didn't.

According to you, one posting simply cancels out the other. You begin with a conclusion , avoid any verification and shout down contradictory facts and opinions. Your answer to a question is to shout back a loaded question of your own. I was genuinely looking at other peoples experiences and suggesting there is an alternative view, but you are simply looking for confirmation.

I don't happen to believe the BBC is unduly biased to the right or to the left and just one little example comes to mind - I believe the 'Today' programme on Radio 4 is the highest rated news programming in the country with 7 million weekly listeners. That demographic is pretty heavily skewed to the over 50s and within that, probably toward a conservative (small c) majority. These people are not turning off in huge numbers or asking that the BBC is defunded - although I'm sure there are people who would like it reformed. If I disagree mightily with something I hear or see, I switch it off, but I don't tar the entire output of the corporation. I personally don't want 'Strictly' or 'Mrs Browns Boy's' from the BBC or them over bidding for sports events - but I appreciate the work done by local BBC radio (would any commercial concern really cover an Oxford Pappa John's game or other local sport?), 6 Music, the excellent world service and the generally very usable BBC website. Please, if you have examples of left-wing bias, expose them.

Y
No one forces you to pay for Murdoch owned news unlike the BBC where its assumed you want it. Will address this properly after we've beaten Pompey tonight

No one forces you to pay for Murdoch owned news unlike the BBC where its assumed you want it. Will address this properly after we've beaten Pompey tonight
Don't bother if it's more invective aimed at me and more links from the Murdoch press. I'm giving up on this thread, I'm fed up with counter-factual bigotry.

BBC hold to account the government of the day shock!

Watch the truly shocking Once Upon A Time in Iraq series and consider if it reflects the Labour government of the day in anything than appalling light? It is quite correct that the BBC should be shining a light on government actions past and present.

Back
Top Bottom