National News The BBC

Normally there is a fully audited tender process where companies have to prove their credentials
I appreciate and understand that but didn't explain myself very clearly. What I meant is are there a constant stream of chancers, usually weeded out by the process, in non-Covid times.

I appreciate and understand that but didn't explain myself very clearly. What I meant is are there a constant stream of chancers, usually weeded out by the process, in non-Covid times.
I wouldn't think so. Because the process is not inconsequential and from it they would realise there are checks on any claims made (having been involved with tenders for government projects I would say this). I would imagine the 'chancers' have come out because they know their friends in high places are handing out golden tickets to get around the process.

I wouldn't think so. Because the process is not inconsequential and from it they would realise there are checks on any claims made (having been involved with tenders for government projects I would say this). I would imagine the 'chancers' have come out because they know their friends in high places are handing out golden tickets to get around the process.
Good man - makes sense!

Is this a regular occurrence or one exacerbated by the onset of Covid? Would it happen in 'normal' times?

Certainly increased when the pressure was on but happens with monotonous frequency even through approved tendering portals.
The most recent favourite scam worked like this.
Scammer produces genuine looking purchase order for "an NHS Trust" and sends it to supplier for goods to be delivered.
Supplier fails to check validity of purchase order or it`s source.
Pallet of goods is scheduled to be delivered to an industrial unit allegedly being used by said NHS Trust.
Bloke standing outside says to courier "Key`s aren`t here yet mate, drop it kerbside and I`ll sign for it".
Courier drops, bloke signs, courier drives off.
Goods are loaded into a van and goodbye.
Supplier presents purchase order and invoice for payment.
We ring them and give them the bad news..... cost one firm in Sheffield over £45k.

Stronger than two quotation marks which is the case for the Defence 😂
Seriously, anything. This is what I wrote above
To start again...

Elsewhere on the political threads the issue of BBC bias has been raised. Some say it has a right wing bias, some a left, some think it's got it about right.

I was firmly in the 'got out about right' camp up until a year or so ago. I now think the BBC, at times, goes easy on the government and it has coincided with the government's criticism and boycotts (e.g. Newsnight) of the BBC and its threats to its funding.

To explore this I started this thread. Just to make it clear the BBC isn't Fox news so any bias, perceived or otherwise, will be subtle and nuanced.

Impartiality monitor ^^^. I’d agree it seeks impartiality but it follows subconscious bias slightly to the left. I know two left leaning bbc journalists (who you’ll have seen on screen) who would both agree on that.

Mark Thompson who was BBC director general for 8 years even openly admitted there was a left leaning bias in the press. You can go google it.

Last edited:

Impartiality monitor ^^^. I’d agree it seeks impartiality but it follows subconscious bias slightly to the left. I know two left leaning bbc journalists (who you’ll have seen on screen) who would both agree on that.

Mark Thompson who was BBC director general for 8 years even openly admitted there was a left leaning bias in the press. You can go google it.
The New Director General (Tim Davie?) has also admitted the BBC is left-wing and I think he said he had a plan to try and de-wokeify it.

I agree with you btw. The bias isn't so deliberate it just reflects the middle class and metropolitan people who work there. It's certainly less biased than channel 4 for example.

BBC news is left-leaning but not blatant about it. Other BBC content like 95% of its comedies are painfully woke, left-wing dirge

The New Director General (Tim Davie?) has also admitted the BBC is left-wing and I think he said he had a plan to try and de-wokeify it.

I agree with you btw. The bias isn't so deliberate it just reflects the middle class and metropolitan people who work there. It's certainly less biased than channel 4 for example.

BBC news is left-leaning but not blatant about it. Other BBC content like 95% of its comedies are painfully woke, left-wing dirge
I'd like to see a comedy about Hitler killing jews or something and the leaders of the Myanmar putsch singling out a minority and the Uigahrs, plenty of fun times to be had with them!!

I'd like to see a comedy about Hitler killing jews or something and the leaders of the Myanmar putsch singling out a minority and the Uigahrs, plenty of fun times to be had with them!!
Because all people on the right are Nazis?

You're not getting this are you.

I'm not asking for articles by others giving their views of the BBC, I'm asking for members of the forum who have claimed BBC bias (either way) to post past or present BBC news reports etc with their explanation as to why they think they are biased (either way).

I don't want to be rude but is this really so difficult to understand?

Back
Top Bottom