Other European European Super League one step closer?

The damage of these clubs reputations will take years to heal. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the next UEFA/EPL meeting between clubs!
Especially the people's club of Liverpool in my view.

The thing is the current system stinks. I never thought I would be supporting Fifa and UEFA, it is just the alternative stinks even more. I hope we now see positive change.

Did the club's sign any sort of contact or was it just a verbal agreement?

If it was a signed contract I wonder if there are any penalties to leave?

You can watch it on telly can't you, you've all got massive tellies and subscribe to the streaming services. Or on your phone while walking down the street. The big teams aren't really about fans turning up in person and haven't been for years. The new model probably works better for some young people as they don't have to go along on Saturday at 3 pm and can watch it whenever they want. However, to me it seems so bland and corporate, like going to see Coldplay at Wembley rather than some indie band at the Bully.

Or the Wheatsheaf!

What an absolute load of arsewallop and utter waste of everyone's time.

Folk think "that`s it"??

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

They`ll be back...... and they`ll be back until they win.

ESL statement said "We will reshape........"

So an ESL will be formed with minimal promotion/relegation as another upper pyramid step.

I can’t see that being the end to this super league it seems to me the so called big six dangled a carrot to find out how it would be accepted and then quietly put some statements saying it won’t happen but as EY it will still happen but just added to the pyramid

Folk think "that`s it"??

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

They`ll be back...... and they`ll be back until they win.

ESL statement said "We will reshape........"

So an ESL will be formed with minimal promotion/relegation as another upper pyramid step.
Love it if a founder got relegated. Bet they'd make a rule that it's the lowest non-founders that go down.

Last edited:
it will still happen but just added to the pyramid
Now that I could live with.

The top 3 from 6 european nations (good luck deciding both those cohorts) can play in a league, just so long as the winner of each participating country's domestic league went up to replace the lowest finishing compatriot.

What an absolute load of arsewallop and utter waste of everyone's time.

Maybe on this occasion, but it would be naive to think that this is over. This is the first step towards what these owners want. It took a few good years and seasons for the PL to break away from the FL (it was in 1985 that Man United chairman Martin 'toilet peeper' Edwards said 'The smaller clubs are bleeding the game dry. For the sake of the game, they should be put to sleep'), so this issue will not go away any time soon. The ESL big boys have shown their hand for what they want and they'll plot again for another money-grabbing effort to create some sort of World Soccer League-style tournament.

Maybe on this occasion, but it would be naive to think that this is over. This is the first step towards what these owners want. It took a few good years and seasons for the PL to break away from the FL (it was in 1985 that Man United chairman Martin 'toilet peeper' Edwards said 'The smaller clubs are bleeding the game dry. For the sake of the game, they should be put to sleep'), so this issue will not go away any time soon. The ESL big boys have shown their hand for what they want and they'll plot again for another money-grabbing effort to create some sort of World Soccer League-style tournament.

Yeah absolutely - the opening salvo.

Yep. Fitting in a post-Brexit world that British clubs will be excluded from a future European League. Plenty more continental clubs for the ESL to approach, and UEFA will throw more money at the ESL, which was essentially Perez' objective. Two-tier ESL coming, with that strange concept of relegation / promotion allowed this time.

Ok waiting for the club statement from one of these clubs

“ The board held a meeting and after careful consideration the feeling from the board was that to leave the EPL and join the ESL would be detrimental to football. The fans are first and foremost in our minds so with that in mind we have decided to withdraw from joining the ESL. “

John Barnes is on one this morning, laying into Sky Sports... but now rambling on about the French Revolution 🤦‍♂️

It will be interesting to see how UEFA changes after this. Juventus, Man Utd (and others) had members in their committees and oversight groups, all of whom resigned to pursue the ESL. The power wielded by the rich clubs has now been reduced.

They went with the nuclear option for a power grab and botched it.

UEFA has problems and this has now given them a larger mandate.

Back
Top Bottom