Other European European Super League one step closer?

And you are tight?

Careful thank you. :ROFLMAO:

However some of us saw the problems coming, the PL and enabling folk to watch remotely creates the income without the restrictions of stadia.

So PL income goes through the roof, but the rich folk want a new roof ergo: ESL.

Thanks to the pandemic virtual season tickets and PPG are already with us.

Hey Tonto,

I am not for or against the ESL but;

If the FA stop the players playing for their countries, it would be the FA's decision, not the players and to be honest they would focus on the ESL.
If the PL threw them out, Sky and other broadcasters would nullify and cancel their contracts. Sponsors and other commercial supporters would probably also back out, losing the FA the majority of its income.

Remember, the FA, UEFA and FIFA are the "governing bodies". How many times have we seen on this forum when posters disagree with ours or other governments around the world!!!
But would they nullify the contract? BT Def won't, they have come out in opposition. Sky just said they have have not been included in any rights discussions. So maybe that would.

Is this what English football needs? Get these greedy, rich clubs gone.

Start again, make football accessible to all (not all games, at least 1-2 a month on free TV) make it about the fans.

They might have learned English from a book with Oxford on it, but I’m not sure that would make them interested in the football team
You miss the point. It’s the fact that it interests our owners that matters. They may have a change of heart if the PL ends up playing second fiddle to a newly created ESL.

Most club’s run at a loss and beholden to whoever’s bank rolling them, be that rich nation state’s or investors who have any profit on turnover but leave the club with huge loans, if the breakaway takes place many clubs will go to the wall in lower leagues because there won’t be enough financial support to sustain them so would have to go semi professional and/or a much reduced pyramid of leagues, it is an ill wind that blows no good but I fail to see any positives.

So either this is a pretty clumsy bargaining chip to help these clubs get the best outcome for themselves from the next Champions league revamp or these owners are deadly serious, have done their homework and believe this will work for them.

If it's the latter and if what they are doing is not unlawful/illegal (a situations only the courts can rule upon) then whether it succeeds or not will be down to the punters. Supporters who go through the turnstile each week (or when they can) v the plastic armchair fans across the world. I fear the armchair fans may outnumber us quite considerably. 🙁🙁🙁

Last edited:
End in tears like the NFL did? I think their owners are probably happy with their billions.

That's not what I'm saying at all. The NFL model works because that's the way things are in America - they have known no different. There are 32 teams with no relegation despite Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions being constantly sh.it. Plus the NFL hold a monopoly on it. If this Super League goes ahead, UEFA aren't gonna go away. I don't believe they will disband their Champions League and Europa League (or at least I hope not).

Americans can't seem to get their heads around this whole relegation thing - but that's what drives our game. We love it when the like of Leicester, Atalanta and RB Leipzig start mixing it up with the big boys. And conversely fallen giants like Man City, Parma and Fiorentina not that many years ago. Perez , Glazer and Kroenke clearly hate that, which is why they have decided to break away. But that's the way us Europeans like football, and that's not going to change.

Last edited:
So either this is a pretty clumsy bargaining chip to help these clubs get the best outcome for themselves from the next Champions league revamp or these owners are deadly serious, have done their homework and believe this will work for them.

If it's the latter and if what they are doing is not unlawful/illegal (a situations only the courts can rule upon) then whether it succeeds or not will be down to the punters. Supporters who go through the turnstile each week (or when they can) v the plastic armchair fans across the world. I fear the armchair fans may outnumber us quite considerably. 🙁🙁🙁
Yes, working with JPM there is a figure they feel they can potentially achieve. And its only 50% above in revenue what the UCL is bringing in at present. The UCL is one of the biggest sporting events in the world. The EPL and Champions League are huge around the globe.

Looking at the names who have joined, are they not the clubs with some, if not all the biggest stadia? I really feel the effect of Covid has yet to bite in football. Clubs have had no matchday revenue, and I believe the broadcasters are still looking to clawback some payments.

The best way to spread the wealth would be to let them have their super league... expel them from the football league.

Then when they come back with their tails between their legs they can spread their wealth through successive promotions from the bottom of the pyramid.

The best way to spread the wealth would be to let them have their super league... expel them from the football league.

Then when they come back with their tails between their legs they can spread their wealth through successive promotions from the bottom of the pyramid.
After a lenghtly delay in the decision to allow that! (2-3 seasons). I am sure they can live off player sales!

"It will not happen, the law protects us," Perez added.

This is the bit that stood out from the other crap he was talking and it’s the reason the ESL will happen

I'm coming to that conclusion too. No idea whether the Premier League can expel the greedy six or not without starting potentially years of legal action, but I'd like to see them b****r off to 'Europe' and the top six Championship clubs take their place. (Won't happen though. If the 'top six' are no longer involved sponsors will disappear and the Premier League will fold).

This morning I've had to endure 'football fans' in China and India telling me how great the new league will be and how they just don't understand how anyone could object. I'll bet they've never heard of Oxford United or Barrow or Bury.

Perhaps the new football overlords will eventually create a second division (with no promotion or relegation, of course) to mop up the next twelve 'super clubs', like Ajax and Benfica and PSG and Bayern Munich.

Last edited:
What I’d like to see happen is that the PL kick the big six out and then so there is still 20 teams promote the top 6 from the championship and so on so every league still has the same amount won’t happen tho

Does this not fall foul of various types of anti-competition/restriction of trade legislation???

Is a league more exciting than a knockout cup competition? Not sure myself.

Plus, that isn't their complaint, they want to be a guaranteed spot

Did anyone really think brand Oxford was a thing? Asian fans would want to see Man U in a big stadium, not some little university town team.
The Oxford "brand" is a big thing around the world, whether that would ever translate to football is another thing.

Well, the university alone is enough to give credence to that statement. Given how important education is in countries such as China and Japan, I would say that Oxford is a more recognised place than Manchester. I’m not sure Oxford is known in the Far East due to Sam Long. Not yet, anyway..
The "Oxford" brand of OUP is one of the world's leading names in learning English. If a child learns English in the non-Americanised parts of the world then they will often have an Oxford book/system to do it.

Back
Top Bottom