Other European European Super League one step closer?

It’s a negotiating power play. Engineered by naive rich airheads. Naked capitalism at its worse. Haven’t heard much from the current ‘stars’ yet though.

Currently only two of the six occupy Champions League places so I guess they think they need a bit of extra help.

I have had a Sky subscription and watched premier league football for years because I grew up watching (although much less frequently back then) the old division one, even saw a certain team that play in yellow in it, and it is the top division of the system we play in. They got a new tv deal and changed the names but the structure stayed the same.
Yeah I’m happy with seeing us live and big teams on MOTD .. not sure my wife would be happy with more football on TV

Agree 100%

I'd end their seasons now, relegate them with immediate effect, down into league 2, replace them with 6 Championship clubs, promote 6 league 1 clubs to the Championship, and 6 league 2 clubs up to league 1.

Then dock them all 30 points at the start of next season, ban them from all cup competitions, and ban them from the next 10 transfer windows.

Also, any players that are still there next season will have to be paid in line with the league 2 salary cap, which will mean major lawsuits for the clubs at huge financial expense, and an inevitable exodus of their players.

Punish them severely, with immediate effect, and then humiliate them thereafter!

Or simply let them go, never to return, but ban all their players, and any future players from future World Cups, Euros and Champions league tournaments, which would surely mean any players worth their salt, won't be interested anyway.
Why put them as high as League 2? The actions of their owners don't deserve their teams to be allowed to play on Hackney Marshes against a team of under 5's. I hope the players of these 6 teams get together and agree to have a sit down strike during matches in protest.

They might have learned English from a book with Oxford on it, but I’m not sure that would make them interested in the football team
They might have and/or they might have watched Man Utd on the box. Still not sure where the evidence is that more people from the 'far East' have heard of Oxford than Manchester.

They might have and/or they might have watched Man Utd on the box. Still not sure where the evidence is that more people from the 'far East' have heard of Oxford than Manchester.
Well, the university alone is enough to give credence to that statement. Given how important education is in countries such as China and Japan, I would say that Oxford is a more recognised place than Manchester. I’m not sure Oxford is known in the Far East due to Sam Long. Not yet, anyway..

This is the brainchild of the American bank JB Morgan. Also not surprisingly it's being headed up by the Glazers and Stan Kroenke (both Americans) who have been bad for the game from the moment they took over Man Utd and Arsenal respectively. It's clear what the game is - to create something to emulate the NFL - where you have 20 franchises around Europe selling out to the highest bidder.

So Man Utd will become the Manchester Devils, Man City something like the Manchester Dolphins, Arsenal the London Gunners - you get the idea. About ten years down they will look for more opportunities to make themselves even richer and do what is common in the NFL - relocate their franchises. Manchester only has a population of 500,000 - why have two clubs, when you can move one of them to a large European city like Berlin? Same with Arsenal (sorry the London Gunners) - maybe they'll move to Rome as they haven't got a franchise.

It will end in tears - and when, rather than if, Man Utd etc come crawling back on their knees to the FA, then they will need to be told to start again at the bottom like clubs like Aldershot, Chester, AFC Wimbledon had to.
End in tears like the NFL did? I think their owners are probably happy with their billions.

74,000 Oxford and Coventry fans couldn't boycott the JPT. This thing would be a licence to print money if it goes ahead.
Juventus share price today

5f2702f8bacab9e6a11cb70e3432d195.jpg

Ah yes because all graphs start at 0.75. Let's not be sensationalist, it says a 10% increase and its lower than it was in July 20.

In terms of sporting merit, I notice that people object to there being this elite league which a core group of teams will be playing in every year, regardless of their performance. But that does reflect the reality of the Champions League at the moment, and it's very strange for commentators to pretend it doesn't. Sure, in this country the likes of Arsenal and Spurs cementing themsleves in this 'elite' bracket is laughable, but when was the last time Real Madrid or Barcelona weren't in the Champions League? When was the last time Manchester City weren't, having been purchased and bankrolled by a despotic nation state? Or PSG (who will undoubtedly, along with perhaps Lyon, quietly sign up to this as the French representatives)?
The last time any of those clubs weren't in the Champions League was when their domestic performances in the previous year didn't merit it.

The 'core teams' are there because of their performance, not 'regardless' of it. This doesn't make any sense.

Well, the university alone is enough to give credence to that statement. Given how important education is in countries such as China and Japan, I would say that Oxford is a more recognised place than Manchester. I’m not sure Oxford is known in the Far East due to Sam Long. Not yet, anyway..
Yep and Manchester has two football teams that are known all over the world and are astronomical global brands. Not sure there is any evidence that Manchester is more or less well known than Oxford.

If the fa and the pl throw them out and stop their players representing their country it will be dead in the water but have they the balls to do that.

If the fa and the pl throw them out and stop their players representing their country it will be dead in the water but have they the balls to do that.
Hey Tonto,

I am not for or against the ESL but;

If the FA stop the players playing for their countries, it would be the FA's decision, not the players and to be honest they would focus on the ESL.
If the PL threw them out, Sky and other broadcasters would nullify and cancel their contracts. Sponsors and other commercial supporters would probably also back out, losing the FA the majority of its income.

Remember, the FA, UEFA and FIFA are the "governing bodies". How many times have we seen on this forum when posters disagree with ours or other governments around the world!!!

Back
Top Bottom