General EFL Salary Cap Withdrawn

That could make the difference between offering say Forde a new contract or not. It’ll save some careers certainly. As said above, you aren’t obliged to overspend, poorer clubs can play some kids and local players, even getting relegated isn’t the end of the world as long as fans have a club to support.
You mean have a club just stay in existence even though their chances of progression are all but gone.

Tell me this then, why can't the so called bigger clubs in their league play kids and local players then instead of filling match day squads with Loans

it's bad enough there's such a gap between prem clubs and the rest without having the same scenario within your own League/s

You mean have a club just stay in existence even though their chances of progression are all but gone.

Tell me this then, why can't the so called bigger clubs in their league play kids and local players then instead of filling match day squads with Loans

it's bad enough there's such a gap between prem clubs and the rest without having the same scenario within your own League/s
The bigger clubs can afford better, we’re not communists. Bury should have played more kids rather than buying promotion and going bust. They signed Chris Maguire, ridiculous.

[emoji1787]

One of the problems with the salary restrictions though was that the Championship didn't implement it. That would have created exactly the same sort of gap between the Championship and L1 as now exists between the Prem and the Championship. And of course the reason the Championship didn't vote for it is because it would have made the gap between themselves and the Prem even wider (and of course they weren't ignoring the fact that it gave them some insurance against being in L1 for too long if they got relegated!).

However, that is not to say that I don't agree with you - I find it frustrating that football is so much a game of the haves and the have nots, and that the more money you can throw at a club the better their chances of success. That is as true within a league as much as it is across the leagues. Without a total restructure of football (maybe with a complete redistribution of the daft TV money and that won't happen) I can't see how that will change any time soon.

One of the problems with the salary restrictions though was that the Championship didn't implement it. That would have created exactly the same sort of gap between the Championship and L1 as now exists between the Prem and the Championship. And of course the reason the Championship didn't vote for it is because it would have made the gap between themselves and the Prem even wider (and of course they weren't ignoring the fact that it gave them some insurance against being in L1 for too long if they got relegated!).

However, that is not to say that I don't agree with you - I find it frustrating that football is so much a game of the haves and the have nots, and that the more money you can throw at a club the better their chances of success. That is as true within a league as much as it is across the leagues. Without a total restructure of football (maybe with a complete redistribution of the daft TV money and that won't happen) I can't see how that will change any time soon.
Maybe, just maybe with the most arrogant of the big PL clubs likely to milk the European super league tv rights, efl/ fa may look to restructure distribution of PL tv money (which is likely to be reduced post introduction of any european super league?), more fairly across the 'elite' English football pyramid. Though I shant be holding my breath, ive no faith in either the FA or those administrators running EFL under Parry's leadership

Precisely. I don’t understand the logic of ‘well, it’s impossible to spend within our means without the salary cap in place!’ SCMP works well if enforced properly.
I think it works well if the clubs apply it with good faith. I do not think it is credible to argue all clubs apply it with good faith.

It is easy to rail against enforcement because none of us know the EFL bods charged with enforcing it. None of us have tried enforcing something similar ourselves or really have the first idea how they go about it.

The debacle with Derby shows that the EFL do monitor and challenge what they see as non-compliance pretty heavily and that is no guarantee they can get the job done, because more complex rules mean more room for picking holes.

When this topic comes up I always ask what happens to OUFC if their owners, on the other side of the world and with no apparent ties to our city or our club, decide they want to start taking their money back tomorrow.

I appreciate that I am in the minority but that concerns me far more than whether we can sign a 23rd senior professional and crank our losses up a bit more.

These rules were hastily implemented and it seems like there were definite opportunities for improvement so I won't cry at this new develolment. But I won't cheer a permanent return to how things were because I don't think it is sustainable and supporting a smaller team has not been an enjoyable off-the-field experience for a hell of a long time.

I think it works well if the clubs apply it with good faith. I do not think it is credible to argue all clubs apply it with good faith.

It is easy to rail against enforcement because none of us know the EFL bods charged with enforcing it. None of us have tried enforcing something similar ourselves or really have the first idea how they go about it.

The debacle with Derby shows that the EFL do monitor and challenge what they see as non-compliance pretty heavily and that is no guarantee they can get the job done, because more complex rules mean more room for picking holes.

When this topic comes up I always ask what happens to OUFC if their owners, on the other side of the world and with no apparent ties to our city or our club, decide they want to start taking their money back tomorrow.

I appreciate that I am in the minority but that concerns me far more than whether we can sign a 23rd senior professional and crank our losses up a bit more.

These rules were hastily implemented and it seems like there were definite opportunities for improvement so I won't cry at this new develolment. But I won't cheer a permanent return to how things were because I don't think it is sustainable and supporting a smaller team has not been an enjoyable off-the-field experience for a hell of a long time.
Which is why some throw away comments like teams can play the kids or local players as relegation still gives them a club to support needs to be thought through.
Every fan of every club has to have the dream and thought process that their team could progress through the pyramid or what's the point, it's fine thinking oh well current fanbase may stay with them regardless (though i doubt it) but are the new generations of parents going to take their child to see their local team on a scale big enough to help them progress because that really is far from reality.
With the exception of 3/4/5/ clubs if you pooled the teams currently in Leagues 1 and 2 and asked a new generation of parent to take their child to watch the same teams year after year full of kids and local players you would get a massive shock and that's without taking into account the already overstretched leisure pound and actually getting the kids away from their devices..

Which is why some throw away comments like teams can play the kids or local players as relegation still gives them a club to support needs to be thought through.
Every fan of every club has to have the dream and thought process that their team could progress through the pyramid or what's the point, it's fine thinking oh well current fanbase may stay with them regardless (though i doubt it) but are the new generations of parents going to take their child to see their local team on a scale big enough to help them progress because that really is far from reality.
With the exception of 3/4/5/ clubs if you pooled the teams currently in Leagues 1 and 2 and asked a new generation of parent to take their child to watch the same teams year after year full of kids and local players you would get a massive shock and that's without taking into account the already overstretched leisure pound and actually getting the kids away from their devices..
As we’ve said before, live football is more popular now than it is was a generation ago. I meant that clubs weren’t obliged to overspend, and that the very restrictive cap on salary and squad actually prevented clubs having a dream of rising through the leagues. Obviously I’m opposed to clubs like Salford trying to buy success but I’d rather have that than us being permanently unable to compete with even modest rivals like Rotherham who who would be able to bounce back if relegated, given their vastly superior resources

I think it was RyanBirdio who said the salary cap actually restricted our club's transfer model of buy/improve/sell.
So we couldn't pay the high signing on fees and high wages of talent that we could improve and sell for a decent profit.

As we’ve said before, live football is more popular now than it is was a generation ago. I meant that clubs weren’t obliged to overspend, and that the very restrictive cap on salary and squad actually prevented clubs having a dream of rising through the leagues. Obviously I’m opposed to clubs like Salford trying to buy success but I’d rather have that than us being permanently unable to compete with even modest rivals like Rotherham who who would be able to bounce back if relegated, given their vastly superior resources
indeed you have BUT the moment you take away any hope however small that may be then using our club as an example todays oufc will tomorrow be Thame banbury Didcot etc

I think it was RyanBirdio who said the salary cap actually restricted our club's transfer model of buy/improve/sell.
So we couldn't pay the high signing on fees and high wages of talent that we could improve and sell for a decent profit.
Indeed - we'd be totally unable to sign the likes of McGuane permanently, then sell them on for a big profit in 18 months. (We probably won't be able to sign him anyway but the point stands).

Although equally, by limiting our spending to less than turnover, it removed the need to sell players on to fund years of structural losses.

I assume the squad size limit will also go. It has not been mentioned but it would be odd to keep one restriction and not the other.

The one change that I would welcome would be to limit squad numbers but exclude u21's and home grown players from those numbers. It would reward youth development and give more first team opportunities to younger players.

This thread stirred a memory that I had posted some ramblings about squad size and the loan system on a previous version of the yellows noticeboard; it took a bit of finding but here it is. I still believe that the points I raised are relevant, even though the context of the thread is different and it's worth opening if only to see the posters names from six years ago......

I assume the squad size limit will also go. It has not been mentioned but it would be odd to keep one restriction and not the other.

a squad limit of 22 (or the even more restrictive 20 ) are/were IMO too small... though I would be in favour of squad limits of 24/25 across all EFL and PL leagues in England

plus of course U21/ U23s, home developed and academy players

though Im not decided on whether there should also be a limit on squad sizes introduced for younger and academy players

The one change that I would welcome would be to limit squad numbers but exclude u21's and home grown players from those numbers. It would reward youth development and give more first team opportunities to younger players.
I would love to see that any player that was at the club prior to age 18 (or perhaps 19) is permanently excluded from the squad number limit as well as all U21s. As you say, this would really reward youth development, and would avoid the likes of Sam Long being jettisoned at age 21, just as he is beginning to grow into decent player.

I would love to see that any player that was at the club prior to age 18 (or perhaps 19) is permanently excluded from the squad number limit as well as all U21s. As you say, this would really reward youth development, and would avoid the likes of Sam Long being jettisoned at age 21, just as he is beginning to grow into decent player.
that would be decent and sensible move ..... shame the EFL are under Parry

Now I know very little about finances and even less about salary caps, but the conspiracy theory in me thinks the EFL were hell bent on making the Championship into "Premier League 2" I means there's always chatter about Parry having clandestine meetings with the Premier League bigwigs...

(I'll remove my tin hat now)

Back
Top Bottom