Current Player Eastwood time's up

captainox

Granted the game was awful last night so I wasn't concentrating to a max but didn't think Eastwood had a poor game?

He barely had anything to do. The first goal was a complete fluke and he'd dived for the cross/shot before it ricocheted between Long and Mandron multiple times. And the second goal was a good move finished off well.

Made a good save from a header at a corner but apart from that had zero to do did he? (which is even more frustrating, because despite Crewe being so much better than us, they hardly tore us apart and forced save after save).

May be I didn't notice because i was too fed up.

Reactions: m

tim lane

Referring back to Scotchegg's post from 7 Nov, I have also seem all of Jack Steven's games for OUFC, as well as a number of his appearances with Oxford City. I've never seem him have a poor game. He deserves a chance on Saturday, I think.

ZeroTheHero

Eastwood was the least of our problems last night. I don't think he could do much about either goal, made a good reaction save (always one of his good points TBF) and was fairly sensible when distributing the ball.
I'd like to see Stevens being given a go, but not on the basis of last night's performance from Eastwood, more the ones before that (I can still see that bloody free kick going straight through him!)

Eaststanding

Granted the game was awful last night so I wasn't concentrating to a max but didn't think Eastwood had a poor game?

He barely had anything to do. The first goal was a complete fluke and he'd dived for the cross/shot before it ricocheted between Long and Mandron multiple times. And the second goal was a good move finished off well.

Made a good save from a header at a corner but apart from that had zero to do did he? (which is even more frustrating, because despite Crewe being so much better than us, they hardly tore us apart and forced save after save).

May be I didn't notice because i was too fed up.
In terms of shot stopping there was little for him to do, but what impresses me more about Stevens than Eastwood is his distribution. For a goalkeeper to kick from the floor accurately, they need to be excellent ball players. Most are not, and that’s part of the reason they are wearing gloves. (as well as generally being a bit bonkers).
Eastwood again kicked too many balls straight out of play last night, bringing pressure back on us when a short ball or even a punt up the middle would allow us to control the game, and he’s done this too often in the past for my liking.
Not saying Stevens kicking is impeccable, but hitting the right ball, to the right player at the right time is a strength of his.

captainox

In terms of shot stopping there was little for him to do, but what impresses me more about Stevens than Eastwood is his distribution. For a goalkeeper to kick from the floor accurately, they need to be excellent ball players. Most are not, and that’s part of the reason they are wearing gloves. (as well as generally being a bit bonkers).
Eastwood again kicked too many balls straight out of play last night, bringing pressure back on us when a short ball or even a punt up the middle would allow us to control the game, and he’s done this too often in the past for my liking.
Not saying Stevens kicking is impeccable, but hitting the right ball, to the right player at the right time is a strength of his.

Some of this (not all, because I agree his kicking for a modern day goalkeeper is poor) links in to another discussion about willingness of our players to want the ball or to move for the ball.

I wouldn't mind Stevens coming in as I think he is a more modern breed of goalkeeper (as you'd expect with his age) that would actually suit our style of play better. But good distribution is as much about the options you have in front of you as to the ability of the goalkeeper.
On a side note - Stevens is vocal too, something we are absolutely short of at the moment.

We've seen KR turn to alternative options in Mitchell and Archer in the past - both who play more with the feet, Archer in particular was very comfortable with ball at feet and would make and receive short 5 yard passes and pick out excellent floated crossfield passes. Mitchell was the other end of the spectrum and kicking was inept.

When Mousinho plays, we often go much shorter from goal kicks. It will be interesting to see the approach going forward.

Kamal

We should keep a log of every mistake that he's made.

Portsmouth (a) - gets beaten front post
Portsmouth (h) - gets beaten far too easily. Although he did save in the shootout.
Wembley - Flapped the corner. Too many men around him. Should have stayed on his line. Gave away a penalty.
Lincoln (a) - should be saving both goals
Sunderland (h) - almost goes through his hands
Accrington (a) - he quite literally punches someone in the face
Gillingham (a) - gets beaten at the front post for the first goal.
Peterborough (a) - gets caught in no mans land. Although it's 50/50 whether that's his fault or not. CBs should be doing more there. Goes through his legs for the third goal.
MK Dons (h) - although a couple of players should have brought down their attacker before he had the chance to shoot, Eastwood really should be saving that.
Charlton (a) - through his legs again. Their second goal was quite literally straight at him and it goes through his hands.
Rochdale (h) - fumbled the save and put it on a plate for their striker. Luckily the striker completely mishit and scuffed it.
Wigan (a) - Comes and collects the delivery from the free kick, drops the ball and wigan miss an open goal.
Swindon (h) - calamity for the second goal.

This is just from the Play Offs onwards and doesn't include mistakes from previous seasons (because there has been many from the last season or two!). Near enough every game he's played in since the play offs he has cost us a goal. Feel free to check out the highlights on YouTube if you want to disagree. Easty was great in the first couple of seasons we had him but has been a liability since. How long can Karl keep picking him if he costs us goals?

The list is growing..

OxfordBoy

It’s gonna be Eastwood, Ruffels and all the other out of form players starting for a while yet

Joey's Left Boot

Turning into a liability. However, he'll be hereuntil the end of the season due to the fact Robinson can spot defensive or goalkeeping talent.

unification

Stevens in until the January transfer window perhaps.

It’s a team game but too many individual mistakes from Eastwood have cost us points now. That charge out was indicative of muddled thinking and he needs a break.

Manorlounger

At the very minimum the club should be thinking that Eastwood is not Championship level. He is not the future of the club. Is Stevens? If the answer is no then we need to bring in a new keeper in January or, if one is not available, make plans and approaches to get someone in for next season.

holdsteady

He also made one truly awful clearance with his feet that went about six feet up and out that we got lucky from, it’s not just one clanger a game from him it’s a couple and he isn’t making the saves anymore. He is costing us points regularly now, massive decision for Robinson for Tuesday.

Eaststandboy

Owner
Staff member
He also made one truly awful clearance with his feet that went about six feet up and out that we got lucky from, it’s not just one clanger a game from him it’s a couple and he isn’t making the saves anymore. He is costing us points regularly now, massive decision for Robinson for Tuesday.
To be fair the backpass was quite tricky.

brassmonkey

I cant think of a worse keeper weve had. Maybe paul kee. Has he had his eyesight tested? A lot of his errors seem to misjudging the flight of the ball. E g. Wycombe, charlton, accrington, today.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Left Wing Cross OUFC Players 5
W OUFC Players 8
captainox OUFC Players 360
MiddleBartonYellow OUFC Players 33
Eaststandboy OUFC Players 33