League One Doncaster (5th) v Accrington (9th) tonight

Yesterday after only our second defeat in 13 games a forum meltdown occured. It now seems that some people are not happy despite winning 11 out of 13 of our last matches, all because we haven't won any 10-0 playing total football, despite the fact that the last few weeks has thrown up some awful weather.
Too right.

HORTON OUT!!!

If they do get promoted, I would genuinely fear for them in The Championship. Brilliant season so far given resources but......

I'd fear for anyone to be fair. All 3 promoted sides make up the bottom 5 clubs, and that includes Sheffield Wednesday with their point deduction. The gulf is huge and it will be a challenge for any club to get established but I'd still rather have the chance than stay in league one.

If they do get promoted, I would genuinely fear for them in The Championship. Brilliant season so far given resources but......

Their chairman will carry on doing what he's been doing and bank a good chunk of it for the longer term.

Their chairman will carry on doing what he's been doing and bank a good chunk of it for the longer term.
And that would be the sensible thing to do but they’d get spanked each week a la Wycombe but worse.

And that would be the sensible thing to do but they’d get spanked each week a la Wycombe but worse.

Tbf, I think the Accy owner and the vast majority of their supporters will understand that. I'm sure some of their supporters will be morons who expect them to spend all to try to stay up. But due to Andy Holt's (the owner I think but may be wrong) openness on finance many supporters I reckon would support the approach.

I think its a fair comment that we havent played that well in the past few games. Great we have ground out results but a slight cause for concern if we have similar performances against the higher placed teams in the league. Funnily enough I think our best recentish performance was against doncaster which we lost. Maybe the secret is to play badly..

I think its a fair comment that we havent played that well in the past few games. Great we have ground out results but a slight cause for concern if we have similar performances against the higher placed teams in the league. Funnily enough I think our best recentish performance was against doncaster which we lost. Maybe the secret is to play badly..
I agree, it just backs up the point that this is not an exact or predictable science

It's true that there are 7 teams above us in the current table. But it's always instructive to look at the form table, and the one I have access to shows the last 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 games. We've been top at 5, 10, and 15, and only Portsmouth are above us when you go back 20 games (and we have the same number of points as them in the past 20 games). If you look at 5 games, Portsmouth are 12th, and over the past 10 games are 8th. Ipswich, over the past 5 games, are in 16th position, and over the past 10 are in 14th.

In other words, judging on our form over most of the season (20 games) all teams but one have done poorer than we have. We may not have played well in some of those games (and we really haven't in some), but we've also played some brilliant football in others that we've lost (I thought our first half vs. Doncaster was fabulous), but no doubt exactly the same could be said for all the other teams in League 1.

Still, we are only in 8th place, thanks to our woeful first few games...but I'd say that we are the team that others have to beat to ensure getting promotion, and the form table supports me! (So there!!)

They’d probably be ok to be fair. They’d be able to sell players, come down and re establish

Back
Top Bottom