Dominic Cummings and goings ....

Should Dominic Cummings stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
despite my personal aversion to all things at the wrong end of the A420, I'd opt for the whole hog :sneaky:

especially after the comments 'allowed' to be made by dept chief med advisor during yesterdays briefing

..... though I would say that wouldnt I? :sneaky:
Simple Sarge, DC out. BJ stays. Damage already done. Stay & take the consequences.

Just as a point of interest, if DC did resign/depart, what are everyone's views on how the country would or should then be led in the short and longer term, given the current situation??
Should Boris stay on despite losing his main advisor/crutch/puppeteer (delete as appropriate) or should Boris go as well, given his backing for DC?

Who should step up within the party to take the helm (if boris goes) or be the key advisor(s) in DCs absence (if boris stays)?
Or should we go the whole hog and call a vote of no confidence/election (despite all the issues over distancing etc)?
It's something that has crossed my mind as well. If Cummings goes, Johnson (having nailed his colours so firmly to the mast) is probably a dead duck. If he went, I really cannot find anyone that looks vaguely competent in senior government positions to take over!
I guess the leading contenders would be Raab (really? ) and Gove (about as slimy an individual as there currently is in politics). Not quite sure who else there is (Patel is completely unsuitable, and Hancock being set up as the Coronavirus patsy).
Not a brilliant position for the country really - but the balance of power between Cummings and Johnson now having been exposed, either Johnson has got to fire Cummings and get down to doing things properly himself or both of them should go and allow someone who has actually been elected to see if they can make a better job of it than CumBo have managed.

Had a look at the Conservative Home website yesterday; article there(among many) suggesting Gove is building an alternative power base in the Tory party, including Gisela Stewart, Labour brexiteer among others. I was looking for stuff about Tim Montgomerie, one of the few commentators on the political Right that I can stomach.

It's something that has crossed my mind as well. If Cummings goes, Johnson (having nailed his colours so firmly to the mast) is probably a dead duck. If he went, I really cannot find anyone that looks vaguely competent in senior government positions to take over!
I guess the leading contenders would be Raab (really? ) and Gove (about as slimy an individual as there currently is in politics). Not quite sure who else there is (Patel is completely unsuitable, and Hancock being set up as the Coronavirus patsy).
Not a brilliant position for the country really - but the balance of power between Cummings and Johnson now having been exposed, either Johnson has got to fire Cummings and get down to doing things properly himself or both of them should go and allow someone who has actually been elected to see if they can make a better job of it than CumBo have managed.
the people get what the people want

hey , our glorious leader( n his puppeteer) did what they said they would & got brexit done (didnt they? ? )....and took back control (of our borders)- and couldnt be arsed to test arrivals to this country until 'now', great control that :oops::rolleyes:

Anyone watched or listened too the science committee today?

The mejia will have a field day with the snippets........... although DC has proved he has a brutal & awesome intellect.

Matt Hancock is currently under a bus on Whitehall where DC has just thrown him....................

Politics & hindsight eh?

Anyone watched or listened too the science committee today?

The mejia will have a field day with the snippets........... although DC has proved he has a brutal & awesome intellect.

Matt Hancock is currently under a bus on Whitehall where DC has just thrown him....................

Politics & hindsight eh?

In Cummings defence I don't think it is hindsight, certainly not the bit I saw about the data and data systems. Somebody else's comment along the lines of "it is probably close to the truth but it is how Dominic Cummings sees the truth" sums it up for me.

You do have enough kleenex to hand, don't you? 😂

There wasn`t much he said that was wrong to be fair.

The reality is you don`t get to be PM by being in the "top 1% of decision-makers" you get there with a combination of skills. Same as any CEO.

The discussion about Whitehall being able to react & respond quickly and work in an agile manner spoke volumes about the entire public sector where folk are "programmed" to be risk-averse, not through the consequences of their decisions, but to create work for others further up the tree.

• Haha
Reactions: Ian

The reality is you don`t get to be PM by being in the "top 1% of decision-makers" you get there with a combination of skills. Same as any CEO.

The discussion about Whitehall being able to react & respond quickly and work in an agile manner spoke volumes about the entire public sector where folk are "programmed" to be risk-averse, not through the consequences of their decisions, but to create work for others further up the tree.

That is one hell of a huge assumption about the whole public sector and a wrong one. Even Cummings contradicted it with some of his comments.

I just saw some highlights and wow.
If half of what he said is true that is some indightment.
I see that he came up with another probable lie about his breaching of COVID-19 rules. And if he felt so strongly why not resign and spill the beans at the time? Not somebody you make an enemy of!

As somebody who does not follow UK politics can honestly say that I have no idea who DC is or what he does.
Can I give my vote to "Don't know and don't care"

I’m surprised that people are surprised at what Cummings has shared today. Stevie Wonder could have seen what a shambles the government handling of the pandemic has been (yes the vaccine roll out has been great).

Still they’ll be able to show they’ve learnt from their mistakes soon as the Indian variant continues to multiply.

That is one hell of a huge assumption about the whole public sector and a wrong one. Even Cummings contradicted it with some of his comments.

It`s not far wrong in a lot of places and its easy to see it happening the higher up the tree you get.
When we were setting up Covid clinical trials at pace there were an awful lot of nervous-looking senior folk who are naturally conditioned to be "risk averse".
The outcome is we were one of the highest recruiting Trusts in the country and those same people are happily taking the plaudits.
Maybe it's about character and people are either risk takers or not.

It`s not far wrong in a lot of places and its easy to see it happening the higher up the tree you get.

On that basis, all private sector companies are like Greensill. It is a meaningless generalisation.

All the public sector bodies I've worked with have had to change due to changing political objectives (either local or national) and take/manage risks or find new solutions to do so. This is both on a large and small scale. And when we've worked with the private sector, they tended to be the clunky/inefficient organisation.

The only skill that Major Sleaze has is that he is an incredibly good liar!

BJ & DC. Both have difficulties with the truth to put it mildly. DC has history on turning on his previous bosses when he doesn’t get his own way. BJ for some god forsaken reason is popular a goo % of the voting population.
This will be brushed under the carpet . Any questions will be answered by, look how good a job I’ve done of the vaccine rollout.

The Cummings’ revelations are far more damning than I anticipated. Although do marry up with a lot of my own suspicions.

I think Johnson’s indestructibility is built on people’s fears of Brexit being overturned. We’re already far beyond the point of no return. Once that sinks in with the public, Johnson will be just as fallible as any other Prime Minster.

This Country needs a real leader (Labour or Conservative). The public need to realise Brexit’s been delivered and now talented politicians are what we need to move forward.

Back
Top Bottom