Ex Player Dan Agyei

Which is to say that I do think that Agyei deserves a run - but it's not going to get us into the playoffs unless some of the midfielders/widemen also come to the party. For all his talents, Agyei is not the sort of player to fire us there single-handed. And, with the exception of Lee, in front of Gorrin & Brannagan they have collectively been disappointing of late.
I agree with this to some extent, the exception being that one thing Agyei did yesterday was stretch their defence. Agyei seemed dangerous enough that their defence was playing deeper than they were with Taylor. Any forward that can do that will create more opportunity for the midfielders.

KR doing what he does best, opening his mouth and talking B*****s.

Responding to OxMail on Dan Agyei:
He said: “I don’t hold grudges – this is the reason I get frustrated with Dan.

“I don’t know which Dan’s going to get on the pitch.

“It’s important he understands that he has everything, but he also has nothing if he’s not right.

No s**t! If it's the Dan on the wing, he'll not perform well. If it's the Dan as centre forward, there's every likelihood of something good happening.

And, maybe KR should heed his own words:

“You can’t keep waiting for the coin to fall in your favour, you’ve got to keep doing the right things."

So now, if it's been acknowledged that Dan is a centre forward, not a winger, can we expect the right things?

KR doing what he does best, opening his mouth and talking B*****s.

Responding to OxMail on Dan Agyei:
He said: “I don’t hold grudges – this is the reason I get frustrated with Dan.

“I don’t know which Dan’s going to get on the pitch.

“It’s important he understands that he has everything, but he also has nothing if he’s not right.

No s**t! If it's the Dan on the wing, he'll not perform well. If it's the Dan as centre forward, there's every likelihood of something good happening.

And, maybe KR should heed his own words:

“You can’t keep waiting for the coin to fall in your favour, you’ve got to keep doing the right things."

So now, if it's been acknowledged that Dan is a centre forward, not a winger, can we expect the right things?
If I kept telling somebody who I managed and was in charge of to do jobs that I knew they couldn’t do, and that everybody else knew they couldn’t do, especially when they DO have things they’re at least competent at which I refuse to let them near, it would become my problem. I would be told to stop doing something that everyone knows doesn’t work, which affects productivity and team performance negatively, and if I kept doing it while hammering them and casting them out I would probably end up in front of a tribunal. You have to admire the balls on somebody for them to come out publicly and blame someone else for the fact that they’ve battered their confidence and stitched them up for 18 months straight. Is that gas I can smell?

He should never be used anywhere bar centre forward ever again, and if he isn’t good enough to do it in any capacity then fine, just move him on quietly in the summer and end the situation once and for all. Come out and say, “Dan’s only going to play down the middle when he gets a chance to be on the pitch, and it’s up to him to make the most of that. He can’t play anywhere else.” Robinson has got Barker, Shodipo, Henry, Lee, Forde, Sykes and Hall who can actually play in the wide positions, in as much as they know how to do it and have experience of being in those roles. Forde played plenty of games at right mid for Rotherham when they got promoted from L1 three or so years back - he’s got more reason to be on the wing than he does at full back if you need some fresh legs there. He’s got at least half a dozen options for the wide roles without needing to keep sticking Agyei out there. He can’t say it’s due to a lack of options - he’s choosing to do it. Why? At least people are finally starting to notice it.

Winnall doing his ankle really was one of those sliding door moments. He stays on, Agyei stays on the left wing and looks lost as per usual, and he’s probably gone for good. Instead he plays in his natural position for 15 minutes, looks a different man and rescues a vital point at the death. Fascinating period coming up now that the tables have been turned in terms of who finds themselves boxed in. Can’t put him on the wing anymore without being rumbled and can’t not have him on the bench, because Taylor is the only other fit centre forward and we play twice a week for the next six or seven weeks.

Who you gonna call?

If I kept telling somebody who I managed and was in charge of to do jobs that I knew they couldn’t do, and that everybody else knew they couldn’t do, especially when they DO have things they’re at least competent at which I refuse to let them near, it would become my problem. I would be told to stop doing something that everyone knows doesn’t work, which affects productivity and team performance negatively, and if I kept doing it while hammering them and casting them out I would probably end up in front of a tribunal. You have to admire the balls on somebody for them to come out publicly and blame someone else for the fact that they’ve battered their confidence and stitched them up for 18 months straight. Is that gas I can smell?

He should never be used anywhere bar centre forward ever again, and if he isn’t good enough to do it in any capacity then fine, just move him on quietly in the summer and end the situation once and for all. Come out and say, “Dan’s only going to play down the middle when he gets a chance to be on the pitch, and it’s up to him to make the most of that. He can’t play anywhere else.” Robinson has got Barker, Shodipo, Henry, Lee, Forde, Sykes and Hall who can actually play in the wide positions, in as much as they know how to do it and have experience of being in those roles. Forde played plenty of games at right mid for Rotherham when they got promoted from L1 three or so years back - he’s got more reason to be on the wing than he does at full back if you need some fresh legs there. He’s got at least half a dozen options for the wide roles without needing to keep sticking Agyei out there. He can’t say it’s due to a lack of options - he’s choosing to do it. Why? At least people are finally starting to notice it.

Winnall doing his ankle really was one of those sliding door moments. He stays on, Agyei stays on the left wing and looks lost as per usual, and he’s probably gone for good. Instead he plays in his natural position for 15 minutes, looks a different man and rescues a vital point at the death. Fascinating period coming up now that the tables have been turned in terms of who finds themselves boxed in. Can’t put him on the wing anymore without being rumbled and can’t not have him on the bench, because Taylor is the only other fit centre forward and we play twice a week for the next six or seven weeks.

Who you gonna call?
Absolutely spot on

Robinson has got Barker, Shodipo, Henry, Lee, Forde, Sykes and Hall who can actually play in the wide positions, in as much as they know how to do it and have experience of being in those roles.

Absolutely agree with your post - and Winnall's injury has opened the door now. KR can't avoid giving Dan some time up front (quite apart from his current lack of form, there's too many games in too short a timeframe for Taylor to play all of them).

But I'm pulling out this sentence to illustrate the point I've been trying to make on this thread, and what I think is the biggest problem with our current team.

Because I think Lee has been decent, but in the absence of McGuane is probably the best remaining option in our current squad for the #10 role, as he was on Saturday.

Meaning that we've got to play two of the other six in the wide positions. And at this point I have confidence in exactly none of them.

Barker & Shodipo are both classic show pony wingers, in that they can be absolutely brilliant one minute and then do absolutely nothing of use for the next three hours of game time. You also don't get much defensive competence from either of them.
Barring a couple of decent cameos, Henry has basically been off-form for the entirety of the season.
Sykes always flatters to deceive - he's got good energy and decent skill, but so little end product.
Forde has no pace any more, and I'd actually rather see him in the midfield three where I think he's competent but unexciting.
Hall's legs have gone.

For Agyei to be deemed a success when playing up front (and therefore to have a chance to be doing that for us again next season), then some of the above are going to have to step up their games and do something with the extra space that he's likely to create for them. Otherwise this season is going to peter out whether or not he gets his chance up front.......

I know that it's never going to happen, but I would actually like to see us switch formation and have two up front. If there's one person I would have some confidence in doing something with the extra space, it's still Matty. It's probably the 90s caveman football fan in me, and I'm sure that the analytics would show me I'm an idiot, but I look at Agyei & Taylor and see potentially the perfect duo. The big, quick handful and the predatory poacher......

Absolutely agree with your post - and Winnall's injury has opened the door now. KR can't avoid giving Dan some time up front (quite apart from his current lack of form, there's too many games in too short a timeframe for Taylor to play all of them).

But I'm pulling out this sentence to illustrate the point I've been trying to make on this thread, and what I think is the biggest problem with our current team.

Because I think Lee has been decent, but in the absence of McGuane is probably the best remaining option in our current squad for the #10 role, as he was on Saturday.

Meaning that we've got to play two of the other six in the wide positions. And at this point I have confidence in exactly none of them.

Barker & Shodipo are both classic show pony wingers, in that they can be absolutely brilliant one minute and then do absolutely nothing of use for the next three hours of game time. You also don't get much defensive competence from either of them.
Barring a couple of decent cameos, Henry has basically been off-form for the entirety of the season.
Sykes always flatters to deceive - he's got good energy and decent skill, but so little end product.
Forde has no pace any more, and I'd actually rather see him in the midfield three where I think he's competent but unexciting.
Hall's legs have gone.

For Agyei to be deemed a success when playing up front (and therefore to have a chance to be doing that for us again next season), then some of the above are going to have to step up their games and do something with the extra space that he's likely to create for them. Otherwise this season is going to peter out whether or not he gets his chance up front.......

I know that it's never going to happen, but I would actually like to see us switch formation and have two up front. If there's one person I would have some confidence in doing something with the extra space, it's still Matty. It's probably the 90s caveman football fan in me, and I'm sure that the analytics would show me I'm an idiot, but I look at Agyei & Taylor and see potentially the perfect duo. The big, quick handful and the predatory poacher......
You're right, probably never going to happen and yet, the thought of Dan pulling the balls down and laying off to Matty to finish is one that ought to be attractive. But, yes, never going to see it happen.

but I look at Agyei & Taylor and see potentially the perfect duo. The big, quick handful and the predatory poacher......
Been saying this all season, they did enough in a few brief moments together to suggest that it was worth trying even if only in the Mickey Mouse cup for starters, problem of course though is we view that cup as a chance of a few quid.
Those 2 were almost telepathic when together each knowing what the other was going to do and linked up well, if a normal fan can see that then one would think that someone amongst the staff saw it as well, Perhaps they did and thought it not worth further testing who knows.

Who you gonna call?
Actually I disagree. He looked fantastic when he came on. He has also looked good at times when out wide, particularly on the right in my view where he has scored sone important goals cutting in on his left foot. He has also not looked good when playing centrally at times as well as out wide. All these people saying he must play centrally, one bad game and the same people will be on his back. Truth is, the formations used in the modern game mean that often forwards with pace, power and trickery as attributes need/are expected to be able to play across the front three including the wide positions behind the central striker as well as play the central striker. I think he will have chances now centrally which i hope he takes.

Last edited:
There are lot of posts in this thread, probably more than the total number of Dan’s appearances. I see all home games and this season most of the away, but feel I’ve hardly seen him. I remember the worldie against Cobblers, the odd decent cameo, and a bit of hopeless stumbling about on the wing. I hope he does get a proper chance to show what he can do, at least.

If we can agree that KR only plays with 1 up top, i think its fair to say that in KR`s eyes
Agyei is number 3, Taylor when fit will start, KR thinks very highly of Winnall and
has to give him minutes to improve form and fitness, If Agyei is going to be used
exclusively as a CF he is not going to start any games and wont be on the bench
unless we have an Injury.

Given all of that, the only way Agyei is going to get minutes is on the wing and tbf
to KR Aygei`s first start this season was on the LW away to Accrington, a 4-1 win
in which he got an assist, Aygei starts the next game away to Gillingham, we lose 3-1
and Aygei scores, KR sticks with Aygei and he starts his 3rd game in a row on
the LW and we lose 2-0 away to Peterboro, that was the last time Agyei started a game on
the left. His next start is on the RW at home to Rochdale, we win 3-1 and finally, his last
start and its on the RW again this time away to Rochdale, we win 3-4 and he scores.

So 5 starts on the wing, 2 goals, 1 assist and a 60% win ratio.

One of the highlights of last season was Shrewsbury away, he came on and played right wing
that day and contributed with a beauty.

I think its fair to say that he is not completely poop on the wing, just inconsistent, bit like some
other wingers i know...

Winnall being out gives him his chance, but i think when Winnall is fit again we will see
Agyei back on the bench helping with winger rotation as the games come thick and fast.
Not using him would be a bit mental imo.

If we can agree that KR only plays with 1 up top, i think its fair to say that in KR`s eyes
Agyei is number 3, Taylor when fit will start, KR thinks very highly of Winnall and
has to give him minutes to improve form and fitness, If Agyei is going to be used
exclusively as a CF he is not going to start any games and wont be on the bench
unless we have an Injury.

Given all of that, the only way Agyei is going to get minutes is on the wing and tbf
to KR Aygei`s first start this season was on the LW away to Accrington, a 4-1 win
in which he got an assist, Aygei starts the next game away to Gillingham, we lose 3-1
and Aygei scores, KR sticks with Aygei and he starts his 3rd game in a row on
the LW and we lose 2-0 away to Peterboro, that was the last time Agyei started a game on
the left. His next start is on the RW at home to Rochdale, we win 3-1 and finally, his last
start and its on the RW again this time away to Rochdale, we win 3-4 and he scores.

So 5 starts on the wing, 2 goals, 1 assist and a 60% win ratio.

One of the highlights of last season was Shrewsbury away, he came on and played right wing
that day and contributed with a beauty.

I think its fair to say that he is not completely poop on the wing, just inconsistent, bit like some
other wingers i know...

Winnall being out gives him his chance, but i think when Winnall is fit again we will see
Agyei back on the bench helping with winger rotation as the games come thick and fast.
Not using him would be a bit mental imo.
Good summary ot the stats. How Karl would prefer Winall over Agyei is bonkers. Open your eyes see the evidence. We live in hope.

Back
Top Bottom