Ex Player Dan Agyei

That’s interesting and makes it sound like a confidence thing. If you’re basically afraid of failure, once you’ve done enough not be judged a failure you’ll subconsciously relax and not try quite as hard.
It’s a hell of a lot easier to gain confidence when you aren’t being constantly played out of position, find yourself getting dropped in a heartbeat while others get multiple consecutive chances even after you’ve scored and played well, and don’t get hammered publicly with a level of aggression that other players don’t find themselves dealing with. A Taylor or a Winnall misses a chance and it’s either, “That’s a really good chance and should’ve been a goal” and that’s the end of it, or it’s a comment along the lines of, “That’s great positioning and sooner or later they’re going to get a goal.” Agyei misses a chance and it’s, “That simply isn’t good enough, you can see how frustrating he is and he’s only got himself to blame for his lack of game time.” Then the manager comes out and gives him short shrift or outright throws him under the bus in public. Why should he have any confidence? He gets repeatedly pasted, never gets to play his natural game and doesn’t get the same chance to build up a rhythm that anyone else gets. I would be miserable in that situation; I would lack confidence and struggle in that situation. Who wouldn’t?

He can only play as a centre forward. That is his position - that is where he was brought through playing by a Premier League club. If he isn’t good enough or consistent enough to start there compared to other options in that position, that’s fine. If he’s only got a bit part role in that position or is an impact player, that’s fine. He will play badly sometimes and he will miss chances, like any League One footballer. That’s not an issue. But he cannot play on the wing, he’s never been able to play on the wing (especially the left), and I don’t think it should happen again. If it does then it’s bad management, and that isn’t his doing.

Frankly I’m amazed the guy can still get out of bed and go to training every day given what he’s had to put up with.

Well please god Karl eats a bit of humble pie and gives him a decent crack of the whip and a proper run in the team,the trouble is Taylor sounds undroppable and sadly KR avoids playing two up front. Chin up Dan your time will come, hopefully here.

I've said this on the match day thread, but I'll say it again here.

Agyei was terrific today, and should start midweek.

He's strong and quick, causes defenders no end of issues and you can see they hate playing against him. Two great headers as well today (one that forced a good save, and t'other for the goal).

But I still don't believe that he's ever going to be a prolific goalscorer. He lacks the instincts and the confidence in front of goal. His other chance today was Exhibit X. He's more likely to score a twenty-five yard screamer than he is a three yard tap-in. I reckon 10-15 a season is his absolute ceiling.

Doesn't mean he's not got a lot to offer - but he's not going to save us on his own. If he's going to play as a loan striker (and I don't see KR ripping things up and playing him alongside Taylor in a two, even though I really think that could work), then the likes of Lee, Henry and Barker are going to have to up their game playing off him if we're going to score enough to reach the playoffs this year.
Ok, but 10-15 per season is ok when you play 1 up top. The midfielders should be contributing more, and a couple of them should be getting 10s and 15s. Shodipo is the only one at the party at the moment.

Agyei actually gives them all more chance to score those goals as he's much more of a presence, particularly in the air, in the channels and in his ability to protect the ball. He's got all the assets to play as a lone striker.

He is rough around the edges. Yes. However so are Taylor and Winnall in their own ways.

Well hopefully we have moved past the ‘Will Grigg is/will be the answer’ stage and can actually get on with focussing on our current players. Agyei needs to be given a decent shot at playing as the one up front, not least because he allows our midfield to get more room to create and play. We are really missing goals from Henry and Brannagan. Matty will get his mojo back, unconvinced about Winnall. We should focus on our own assets, much as has been done with the defence; we ain’t going to go down so we have room to play with.

Honestly don't think Winnall should be spoken of in the same sentence as Matty or Dan, unless it's to order him to clean their boots.

Ok, but 10-15 per season is ok when you play 1 up top. The midfielders should be contributing more, and a couple of them should be getting 10s and 15s. Shodipo is the only one at the party at the moment.

Agyei actually gives them all more chance to score those goals as he's much more of a presence, particularly in the air, in the channels and in his ability to protect the ball. He's got all the assets to play as a lone striker.

He is rough around the edges. Yes. However so are Taylor and Winnall in their own ways.

That was kind of the point I was trying to make.

Which is to say that I do think that Agyei deserves a run - but it's not going to get us into the playoffs unless some of the midfielders/widemen also come to the party. For all his talents, Agyei is not the sort of player to fire us there single-handed. And, with the exception of Lee, in front of Gorrin & Brannagan they have collectively been disappointing of late.

That was great centre forward play by Dan when he came on. We would never have scored with him out wide and Winnall still on. He now deserves his chance. For me he is very much suited to play the lone striker role, in some ways more than the other two.

Agreed. I get that he might be inconsistent, I get that he might not always do the defensive stuff that KR wants. But he can do no more to push for a place in the team than demonstrate that when he is played in the right position he can influence the game in a positive way - and he surely did that on Saturday. Personally I'd start with him in the middle and tell him to really go for the opposition supported by either Shodipo or Barker (not both) out wide and Lee as a 10. If it doesn't work or if/when he is knackered we still have Taylor to come on.

I do think Agyei’s ability to be used as a tool to beat Robbo with by the usual suspects has taken over his ability to consistently perform on a football pitch

And I say that as someone who isn’t Robbo’s biggest fan
Could you expand on this as I am struggling to understand exactly what you are saying.

Could you expand on this as I am struggling to understand exactly what you are saying.
Fans will wax lyrical about Agyie no matter what as a way to say that Robinson was wrong to leave him in recent weeks and publicly give him a kick up the back side, similar to what some fans did about Sykes when he got the same treatment.

Kelly got left out of the match day squad on Saturday but I’ve seen no mention of that anywhere?

I think he is saying us fans are using the whole situation with Karl not playing Agyei in the correct position and blaming him when things don't go right as proof that Karl might not be that good of a man manager and might not be the man to take us forward.

To be honest the board have got an interesting decision to make in the summer, do they stick or twist. It all depends how ambitious our board are actually. Karl can build a decent team to be battling to get in the play offs, but can he build a team to get promotion? I'm unsure on that.

I think he is saying us fans are using the whole situation with Karl not playing Agyei in the correct position and blaming him when things don't go right as proof that Karl might not be that good of a man manager and might not be the man to take us forward.

To be honest the board have got an interesting decision to make in the summer, do they stick or twist. It all depends how ambitious our board are actually. Karl can build a decent team to be battling to get in the play offs, but can he build a team to get promotion? I'm unsure on that.
Well I know what you are saying, but they’d have to be super ambitious to sack him if we finish in the top half of the table, which I think we will.

Well I know what you are saying, but they’d have to be super ambitious to sack him if we finish in the top half of the table, which I think we will.

Depends, they could see it as we have done worse than last season which I know was halted early so we could of ended up anywhere in the league but another slow start next season can't happen again.

Depends, they could see it as we have done worse than last season which I know was halted early so we could of ended up anywhere in the league but another slow start next season can't happen again.
If we can keep most of the current players, sign Lee and sign other new ones early , and get the team sorted to make a good start we should have a chance next season. We’re always handicapped by throwing together a side at the last minute.

I think he was rightly criticised (maybe not publically) for being un-prepared when he came on the pitch against Fleetwood, don't care he missed a chance but it was unprofessional to not have shinpads etc on. Of course some on here will just use it as a stick to beat Robinson with as it's the first opportunity for a while.

Agyei did great coming on against MK and that can only be good for both him and the team.

Agyei obviously has his weaknesses, but it’s naive not to think that KR has his blind spots...and Agyei seems to fall into that.

Agyei showed vs Portsmouth and the 10mins up top vs MK that he is a different player in that position. He offers something different to Taylor and Winnall...I believe he is an asset.

He obviously needs to find some consistency, however he needs the minutes to achieve that.

With Taylor playing 2,000mins+ already this season, and winnall seemingly now injured, at least using Agyei as an option off the bench for Taylor on 60mins is the minimum

Back
Top Bottom