Cricket World Cup- highs, lows, summary

Possibly!

I’ve never followed county cricket and being based in South Oxfordshire we are fairly central to a number of clubs, Hants, Warwickshire, Somerset, Surrey, Middlesex and Gloucestershire. We’ve opted for Surrey this time as it is so easy to get to.

theres a petition requesting England cricket games are given status similar to England football team as in free to terrestrial tv that Ive signed, maybe a few other YF might want to put their name to it too?

here's the link ....

Possibly!

I’ve never followed county cricket and being based in South Oxfordshire we are fairly central to a number of clubs, Hants, Warwickshire, Somerset, Surrey, Middlesex and Gloucestershire. We’ve opted for Surrey this time as it is so easy to get to.
For similar reasons I've ended up as a Middx fan. Must say however, Edgbaston is an amazing place to watch cricket, if you can get there for a T20 or international then do it. Hollies Stand is amazing for big matches.

For similar reasons I've ended up as a Middx fan. Must say however, Edgbaston is an amazing place to watch cricket, if you can get there for a T20 or international then do it. Hollies Stand is amazing for big matches.
I went to see day one of a test match in 2006 at Edgbaston and had a great day. Would love to catch a one day/t20 international there.

I went to see day one of a test match in 2006 at Edgbaston and had a great day. Would love to catch a one day/t20 international there.
T20 Finals day is epic. If you can, get tickets for next year.

I umpire at a relatively high level (ICC internationals) and can confirm that the Kookaburra white ball is absolutely gash. Seam swells at the hint of moisture and loses its hardness and shine almost instantly. And they cost the associate boards - at a reduced rate, mind you - 60 quid per ball!
What are the wickets like in Germany?

What are the wickets like in Germany?

Synthetic/carpet...in a couple of cases a Flicx wicket and sometimes in lower leagues coconut mat on top of interlinking fibreboard (if a temporary pitch on a football pitch etc. is needed for one day). Unfortunately there's no scope or money for maintaining proper turf wickets.

Sky's investment in cricket has helped the ECB develop the game - let's not get misty eyed about terrestrial TV coverage. I can recall how appallingly Channel 4 treated cricket in the last couple of years they had it - shifting the coverage around different platforms to show horse racing, stopping coverage to show Hollyoaks, etc. Yes, the 2005 Ashes were great, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

For better or worse, Sky has allowed cricket for men and women to grow. I don't foresee any FTA channel wanting to take it on.

Sky's investment in cricket has helped the ECB develop the game - let's not get misty eyed about terrestrial TV coverage. I can recall how appallingly Channel 4 treated cricket in the last couple of years they had it - shifting the coverage around different platforms to show horse racing, stopping coverage to show Hollyoaks, etc. Yes, the 2005 Ashes were great, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

For better or worse, Sky has allowed cricket for men and women to grow. I don't foresee any FTA channel wanting to take it on.

Cricket isn't growing in the men's game. The reports I've seen is that participation in the sport is falling.

And another low is James Vince. Not an international cricketer.
Vince is a decent (sub) fielder though....he contributed to several wickets in that role during CWC, including in the semi final and final :sneaky:

Last edited:
Interesting to think that some were querying Archer coming into the squad as it Kahn have caused disunity!
I reckon that without Archer we would not have won the WC.

Interesting to think that some were querying Archer coming into the squad as it Kahn have caused disunity!
I reckon that without Archer we would not have won the WC.
Archer took (at least) 20 wickets over the course of CWC .... and was the chosen bowler for that super over 'shoot out' .... I agree @Foley .... reckon England hve got a real rising star with Archer... Windies loss, England's gain :giggle:

Royal Mail are planning similar acknowledgments of CWC success as was afforded to Olympic success ..... nice touch (IMO).... Royal Mail have announced:-

England Men’s and Women’s cricket teams now hold both the ICC Cricket World Cup trophies simultaneously.

We’ll decorate some of our iconic and much-loved post boxes in white with a stylised gold cricket bat, ball and stumps at each of the grounds that played host to the 2019 and 2017 tournaments.

The first will be located outside Lord’s Cricket Ground.

More here: https://bit.ly/2xQnEpS

67030142_872011096510094_5556837938924355584_n.jpg

I know what I said is extremely selfish and it is not a great attitude to carry, but it's just how I feel. The final is the premiere event that I had already paid for to guarantee to be able to see it. I have chosen to go without a lot of other things to be able to pay to be able to watch the finals. I didn't watch any other live games in full I could have got away with highlights shows. But I do recognise that I do get a lot of other things that I enjoy to watch that others don't get for my subscription so I know what I am saying is selfish when it comes to just one to two events a year. It's just the way I see it. I don't really see why if I pay for something someone else then gets it as well for free. I wouldn't do that with a pint or a pie or anything else. It's a bit like getting to the hotel on holiday and finding the guy next to you has paid half what you paid for the same holiday. Everyone feels a bit ripped off. This isn't really Sky or BT trying to be nice offering their premium events for free, it's more a response that they recognise that illegal streaming happens and they can't, or can't be bothered, to do anything meaningful about it. I know it's a bad attitude. I'm quite nice really.

I know what I said is extremely selfish and it is not a great attitude to carry, but it's just how I feel. The final is the premiere event that I had already paid for to guarantee to be able to see it. I have chosen to go without a lot of other things to be able to pay to be able to watch the finals. I didn't watch any other live games in full I could have got away with highlights shows. But I do recognise that I do get a lot of other things that I enjoy to watch that others don't get for my subscription so I know what I am saying is selfish when it comes to just one to two events a year. It's just the way I see it. I don't really see why if I pay for something someone else then gets it as well for free. I wouldn't do that with a pint or a pie or anything else. It's a bit like getting to the hotel on holiday and finding the guy next to you has paid half what you paid for the same holiday. Everyone feels a bit ripped off. This isn't really Sky or BT trying to be nice offering their premium events for free, it's more a response that they recognise that illegal streaming happens and they can't, or can't be bothered, to do anything meaningful about it. I know it's a bad attitude. I'm quite nice really.

Cricket isn't growing in the men's game. The reports I've seen is that participation in the sport is falling.
Participation is one part, but the professional game, funding, etc is leagues ahead of where it was 15 years ago. Grounds, wickets, full time contracts, preparation are just a few examples. Cricketers can make a proper living out of the sport, in part financed by the investment from Sky but also other commercial partners

Back
Top Bottom