Sport Cricket: Winter 2020/2021

Thats what I’ve being saying all long mate. It’s a disgraceful pitch, and the last two matches have been ruined. Two super powers in world cricket going at it, and the fans from around the world have been robbed of two top test matches. I’m pretty sure the next will be the same.
Next time we play India we should play them on an evil unprepared paradise for Archer Anderson and Broad. Serve them cold fish and chips for lunch, the menu simple saying "revenge is a dish best served cold".

Sunil Gavaskar was mooting that yesterday aswell.

He looked at Broads best figures against Australia 8/15 and then said that it was so green the wicket the batsman couldn’t play on it. He then went on to mention nothing was said about that pitch, but this pitch is attracting interest for the wrong reasons.

Yeah, but frankly Gavaskar is a bit of a dick [emoji2371]

We obviously didn't think the pitch was that bad. But you should always play 2 spinners out there. A spinning all rounder would be ideal. I think Bess would have got 3 or 4 wickets at least.

At the end of the day (hah!), we did play 2 spinners

Last edited:
I think so as well.
If we prepare a series of green tops where the ball seams all over the place then I would absolutely guarantee it.

But that's kind of the point - if pitches everywhere are dialed up to eleven (dust bowls in India and Pakistan, trampolines in South Africa and Australia, fields in England and New Zealand), then away sides are never going to win a Test series again. Home teams will always be better in the conditions they're familiar with, and will win every time.

It's bad for cricket.

When pitches are fair - good for batsmen with only a bit of assistance for the bowlers early on; maybe breaking up a little and helping the spinners on Days 4&5 - (as for example, they were in Australia over Xmas when India played an all-time classic series there) - then Test cricket is the greatest sport in the world. But what we saw in this particular Test was a farce.

When it is a logical, correct decision to open the bowling with Joe Root rather than James Anderson, Jofra Archer or Stuart Broad on the second day of a Test match, then the ground staff have ****ed up in a big way.

Completely agree mate. It’s what I’ve been saying all along. If the pitches are fairer for both teams, then it’s a proper test between batsman and bowler. That is when you see a true winner and fully deserve the result they get, but maybe some are not blessed and can’t quite grasp that.

Cricket is a fantastic sport, and it’s even better when you get classic matches that go the distance between two great cricketing nations.

I fully expect a ball to turn or do a little as a match progresses, but I don’t expect to see a pitch have dramatic turn in the first session on Day 1.

Traditionally you open up with your seamers, and they graft, and later on the spinners get there overs in and, as the match goes on they then make an impact.

I don’t ever remember England producing a pitch that spun so much to help Graeme Swann

The Australians certainly never, and they had the best Leg Spinner I’ve ever seen in Shane Warne.

Ive seen test Matches in Colombo and at Kandy in Sri Lanka actually being there in the stadiums, and never see a ball turn so sharply on Day 1 to help Muttiah Murilitharan.

The whole thing has been a farce, especially this test match. The 2nd test in Chennai we simply wasn’t good enough, but as soon as they saw us skittle the Indians out in the first match they dramatically changed the pitches.

Good finish it off, I think a lot of fans around the world have been cheated out of a superb test series, and have rapidly lost interest. Creating pitches that play like a Day 4 pitch on Day 1 is not interesting for fans of the game.

I was saying to someone earlier that I would be embarrassed with a 2 day pitch in England. No matter which way it went. Not good for the game.

I was saying to someone earlier that I would be embarrassed with a 2 day pitch in England. No matter which way it went. Not good for the game.

It’s certainly not good for the game! The Indians have gone OTT here, and it’s win at all costs. We need to qualify etc. Do that and win, but do it the right way and if you like win it fairly.

Im sure they would soon complain if we created such a one sided pitch to win inside two days.

It’s certainly not good for the game! The Indians have gone OTT here, and it’s win at all costs. We need to qualify etc. Do that and win, but do it the right way and if you like win it fairly.

Im sure they would soon complain if we created such a one sided pitch to win inside two days.

On a weirdly positive note, we now don’t qualify for the World Test Cup bollocksy thing, so they can actually take some time off with their families, hopefully.

On a weirdly positive note, we now don’t qualify for the World Test Cup bollocksy thing, so they can actually take some time off with their families, hopefully.

Well we have a very hectic schedule this year. 17 test matches is a lot. I think that’s largely why the England camp have been rotating the side around.

But yes it’s nice they get some time off and have quality time with loved ones.

I don’t think there will be too many unhappy cricket fans seeing India lose the final at Lords, especially when it’s the pleasant bunch from NZ doing it.

Wouldn’t be a walk over mind. With Ishant, Bumrah, Yadav and Shami, they would be more than a handful on a English deck.

Remember what Murtagh did for Ireland against England!

New Zealand are no push overs. Trent Boult in particular can be a real handful on a seam friendly pitch.
Yep. Southee good in our conditions. Wagner too, plus they have a new all rounder who they rate highly.

Big fan of Colin de Grandhomme (translated Colin of Big Man) too.

A player who looks like he can do nothing remotely well but is actually adept at all aspects of cricket. A sort of cricketing version of a reverse John Obika.

England are 84 for 4. England won the toss.
A big change in the balance of the side. Anderson (and Stokes) are the only seamers and Lawrence bats at 7, Foakes 8 and then the 3 bowlers.
They need to somehow eek out enough runs in the first innings to keep in the game

Spinning pitch or seaming pitch, it’s about mindset. England were scrambled in their mindset from the last test and that carried through to this one.

That said, they’re four down but have lots of batting to come. Also, it’s India - of course it’s going to turn at some point.

3 out for lbw getting trapped on the crease.

poor batting so far. I like the way we’ve strengthened the batting line up, but it was crucial the openers contributed and they didn’t really. I stand by opening with Burns rather than Sibley. I think Crawley has a bit more about him, and it would of been a nice left hand right handed opening pair.

Back
Top Bottom