National News Covidiots.....

Maybe off topic but what’s the deal with skiing anyway? You pay a shed load to essentially slide down a slope with planks on your feet for a week. If I said to you that I was going on holiday and all I was doing was repeatedly going down the same tall slide day after day for 10 days running, you’d say I was mental. Do it in sub zero temperatures and where you spend most of it falling over and suddenly it’s a holiday. And don’t get me started on the tossers who use terms like ‘apres ski’.

Once again, no sympathy for anyone who has decided to book a holiday during a pandemic and then has the gall to complain that things may go wrong. The Swiss authorities may have got their approach wrong but Brits fleeing doesn’t make it right. Sod the lot of them and make all of them self isolate for 14 days when they return. See how they enjoy that ‘apres ski’.

Maybe off topic but what’s the deal with skiing anyway? You pay a shed load to essentially slide down a slope with planks on your feet for a week. If I said to you that I was going on holiday and all I was doing was repeatedly going down the same tall slide day after day for 10 days running, you’d say I was mental. Do it in sub zero temperatures and where you spend most of it falling over and suddenly it’s a holiday. And don’t get me started on the tossers who use terms like ‘apres ski’.

Once again, no sympathy for anyone who has decided to book a holiday during a pandemic and then has the gall to complain that things may go wrong. The Swiss authorities may have got their approach wrong but Brits fleeing doesn’t make it right. Sod the lot of them and make all of them self isolate for 14 days when they return. See how they enjoy that ‘apres ski’.
Total 🤡 the lot of them , but they have second homes there even more of a bloody 🤡 who would travel now?!

I do agree they should have everything coming to them, same as all the people in the US that flew for the holiday period.

But....i was never a fan of skiing or snowboarding even though my brother is a keen snowboarder. When I went to visit him in Japan a few years back, I tried snowboarding for the first time.

It is an amazing experience and feeling. Some of these slopes are bloody steep and it's not easy, so kudos to them. In Japan they don't do Apres Ski. When you finish, you have an onsen then a family mean together, none of the getting steamed.

Skiing is brill, I used to go with my dad, who was a PE teacher and took his school group skiing every winter. Trust me when I say we were the polar opposite of any preconceptions you have about skiiers, this was an extremely working class school going on subsidised holidays through companies like Interski. Now years later we go as a family all together, usually to the Czech Republic which is about four hours drive away. Not this year though probably (we booked when there were no cases in summer, knowing that we might have to cancel each way).

That said, I can defend skiing all day long but you know those preconceptions you have about "those" skiing types? Yeah, for those that ski in Verbier they are all absolutely true!

Your perceptions that every skier is a self entitled pompous, arrogant t**t are short sighted and just laughable.
By taking the opportunity to get home rather than quarantine, these skiers didn’t do anything that hundreds of Brits haven’t already done fleeing their beach holidays in Spain or Portugal.
Brits have been fleeing quarantine restrictions across the world and across the classes, from Verbier to Benidorm, just don’t assume all skiers are arrogant, self entitled twats, that’s just plain ignorant.

Last edited:
Your perceptions that every skier is a self entitled pompous, arrogant t**t are short sighted and just laughable.
By taking the opportunity to get home rather than quarantine, these skiers didn’t do anything that hundreds of Brits haven’t already done fleeing their beach holidays in Spain or Portugal.
Brits have been fleeing quarantine restrictions across the world and across the classes, from Verbier to Benidorm, just don’t assume all skiers are arrogant, self entitled twats, that’s just plain ignorant.
*Triggered!*

*Triggered!*
on this case , why would anyone travel to different countries NOW ? Yes the beach in Spain was very silly , but this is another level of being ignorant with the timings. All this pressure just goes onto the NHS which is close to over loading.

on this case , why would anyone travel to different countries NOW ? Yes the beach in Spain was very silly , but this is another level of being ignorant with the timings. All this pressure just goes onto the NHS which is close to over loading.
I’m certainly not defending anyone who goes on holiday abroad during this pandemic, especially now, I’m saying that just because they’re on a skiing holiday doesn’t make them any different to anyone else in their situation.

And the fact that not all skiers are arrogant, self entitled twats. With second homes. Living in Summertown.
Thats just ignorant....I don‘t live in Summertown, I live in North Oxford 😆

Well, you ask the question, so why don't you try it before rubbishing it? I'm just sorry that I'm at an age where I can't do it anymore and wish I'd been a lot younger when I first did. But skiing or not, there's nothing so exhilirating or healthy as spending a week in the alps in Winter. Obviously not this one.

I’m certainly not defending anyone who goes on holiday abroad during this pandemic, especially now, I’m saying that just because they’re on a skiing holiday doesn’t make them any different to anyone else in their situation.
Not all skiers, I agree....but British skiers in Verbier[emoji848] Have you been to Verbier and witnessed the particular type of UK skier who goes there (and makes up 20% of the population during the season)?
Very exclusive and on balance it is probably an accurate description of that particular clientele.

• React
Reactions: UTM
Back
Top Bottom