General Cashless 'viral infection'?

I went out for a business lunch with two other people a couple of weeks ago. The menu was only available online and you had to order everything through the menu. A bit naff, as either all three of us had to be on the phone or to pass a phone about so everything was on the same order. The ordering app was pretty clunky and although we had a server to bring stuff to the table, interaction was minimal. MarkG is right, if a traditional waiter/waitress had come over and offered a sweet or a coffee we might well have spent more - as it was we couldn't be bothered fiddling about with the app any more and just paid up after the main.

It will become the equivalent of a restaurant/cafe with pictures on the laminated menu.

More to do with stock control and only producing exactly what’s needed, rather than prepping in advance

More to do with stock control and only producing exactly what’s needed, rather than prepping in advance
I don't understand. How is the prep any different?

Sitting at a table, you use the app - it tells the kitchen what you want or you tell the waiter - who tells the kitchen what you want.

I *can* see other conveniences (you could remove the menu choice from the app if you'd run out, change the prices, have combo offers etc) however. It's just not a brilliant experience for the customer.

I don't understand. How is the prep any different?

Sitting at a table, you use the app - it tells the kitchen what you want or you tell the waiter - who tells the kitchen what you want.

I *can* see other conveniences (you could remove the menu choice from the app if you'd run out, change the prices, have combo offers etc) however. It's just not a brilliant experience for the customer.
I've experienced it at three places.
An independent Italian brought it in during one of the covid lockdowns to avoid having to disinfect menus, but have now brought back "traditional menus" and waiter/waitress service with a pen and paper.
An independent Japanese/Korean restaurant which allows you to add extra dishes / drinks to your order as you go, but I don't think really works if you've got a table of people ordering different dishes and perhaps some to share if one person has to put all the orders in, or if you order individually and then want to split the bill equally.
Another Japanese restaurant where it mainly seemed to be a way to cut the cost of a waiter or two, even sat at the bar to eat and drink you had to use the app. So it only needed a person to serve drinks and bring out food, so saves on taking orders.
The menus then seemed pretty set with no specials, and "sold out" for things they didn't have.

During the plague, the village of Eyam in the Derbyshire Peak District used a boundary stone whereby they could exchange money, goods and medical supplies with the neighbouring unaffected/infected village of Stoney Middleton: http://smhccg.org/village-history/the-boundary-stone/. The stone had 6 holes drilled in the top, where money could be left for said goods. The holes were filled with vinegar to disinfect the coins.
I would give anything to travel back in time with @Essexyellows and watch his face as he realises that he’s got to use what ultimately amounts to self-service.

and what happened to tipping, now they put the amount in and you tap and go, i never get asked to add a tip anymore. Yet deliveroo wants me to add a tip before theyve even brought the food!

During the plague, the village of Eyam in the Derbyshire Peak District used a boundary stone whereby they could exchange money, goods and medical supplies with the neighbouring unaffected/infected village of Stoney Middleton: http://smhccg.org/village-history/the-boundary-stone/. The stone had 6 holes drilled in the top, where money could be left for said goods. The holes were filled with vinegar to disinfect the coins.

I expect the 'Bird had a similar arrangement during Covid restrictions.....

That is your best post ever!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Lovely village is Eyam, and the boundary stone is still there.

I would give anything to travel back in time with @Essexyellows and watch his face as he realises that he’s got to use what ultimately amounts to self-service.

It was the villagers that had to use it and almost 300 died to stop the plague spreading.
Was imported into the village in cloth bundles IIRC so they "locked down2 to stop it spreading..... self service never helped anyone see. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom