Local News Bus Gates in the City Centre

Do you support Bus Gates in Oxford?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Id be more supportive of cyclists and cycling in Oxford city centre IF OCC required cyclists to issue local cyclist licences - where cyclists demonstrate a basic knowledge of highway code requirements, such as what road signs ( one way streets) traffic lights etc actual mean, and that they apply to cyclists as well as motor vehicles, that pavements are for pedestrians to walk on , not for cyclists to ride on, that front and rear lights on bicycles are mandatory when riding on the roads outside of daylight hours , among other basics ....also a local 3rd party insuruse for cyclists should be mandatory , as should a local 'road tax' ,to fund the proposed miles and miles of cycle lanes

I find it odd that Oxford manufactures cars, the car factories are sizeable employers in the city and county, I cant grasp the vindictive campaign against cars being , err, driven by the Labour run city council against a necessary commodity made in Oxford, that could compromise the employment of many working class people in Oxford and Oxon, should OCC get their way and totally ban motor vehicles in the near future. Trying to run before they can walk (OCC) ?

Electric vehicles will develop, and are likely to be in mainstream use in 10-15 years time, currently, electric vehicles are not yet reliably capable of distances that can be made in internal combustion vehicles.

If the city centre isnt easily accessible to all, more and more city centre businesses and outlets will go bankrupt, and thus consign the city centre to a soul-less void ...... still cyclists wont notice in their lycra onepieces, head down, headphones in & on maximum volume, as the majority are already oblivious to everything around them

Lets be honest here , the 'proposed' ( soon to be installed) bus gates are, like gatso speed cameras , cash cows designed to fleece unaware visitors to Oxford out of fines generated by trangressing local traffic regulations - Yet cyclists are practically encouraged by OCC & TVP to flout countless road traffic laws on a daily basis - summit not quite right there IMO

Id imagine quite a few people were quite happy to cycle to/from work as opposed to sitting on the x3/5 Petri dishes etc.

My work involves national/international travel so cycling is kind of off the cards unless I’m in a city with bikes to hire. Personally, if I was working in Oxford I’d be doing everything I could to avoid being on a cramped bus/train regardless of COVID.

Having been unfortunate enough to have to drive in and drop my Mrs to and from work when she was pregnant I’m amazed anyone drives in. It could take me up to an hour each way coming from North Abingdon. It’s 4 miles on a bike and 20-30 mins max.
Yep, quieter roads would have made cycling far more enjoyable, even to work. But now traffic is almost back to levels pre-lockdown its not.

Id be more supportive of cyclists and cycling in Oxford city centre IF OCC required cyclists to issue local cyclist licences - where cyclists demonstrate a basic knowledge of highway code requirements, such as what road signs ( one way streets) traffic lights etc actual mean, and that they apply to cyclists as well as motor vehicles, that pavements are for pedestrians to walk on , not for cyclists to ride on, that front and rear lights on bicycles are mandatory when riding on the roads outside of daylight hours , among other basics ....also a local 3rd party insuruse for cyclists should be mandatory , as should a local 'road tax' ,to fund the proposed miles and miles of cycle lanes

I find it odd that Oxford manufactures cars, the car factories are sizeable employers in the city and county, I cant grasp the vindictive campaign against cars being , err, driven by the Labour run city council against a necessary commodity made in Oxford, that could compromise the employment of many working class people in Oxford and Oxon, should OCC get their way and totally ban motor vehicles in the near future. Trying to run before they can walk (OCC) ?

Electric vehicles will develop, and are likely to be in mainstream use in 10-15 years time, currently, electric vehicles are not yet reliably capable of distances that can be made in internal combustion vehicles.

If the city centre isnt easily accessible to all, more and more city centre businesses and outlets will go bankrupt, and thus consign the city centre to a soul-less void ...... still cyclists wont notice in their lycra onepieces, head down, headphones in & on maximum volume, as the majority are already oblivious to everything around them

Lets be honest here , the 'proposed' ( soon to be installed) bus gates are, like gatso speed cameras , cash cows designed to fleece unaware visitors to Oxford out of fines generated by trangressing local traffic regulations - Yet cyclists are practically encouraged by OCC & TVP to flout countless road traffic laws on a daily basis - summit not quite right there IMO

Without wishing to get into an even bigger debate on it my bike insurance is more than my car insurance and covers third parties.

I also have a racing license issued by British Cycling which includes personal and public liability insurance up to £2 million off the top of my head. Additionally all of my details are registered on the BC website. The only times I’ve had to use it is when I’ve been “car doored” or “we didn’t see you there”.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of cyclists that give the rest of us a bad name (as there are plenty of drivers who do the same). Things like GoRide which is a BC initiative aim to build on cycling proficiency for keen young cyclists so hopefully ability and safety will continue to improve. I’m sure there’s many like me who ride/race who have had arguments with “cyclists” who run lights, ride on the kerb, ride down one way streets and so on. As I’m sure there’s many of you who’ve had run ins with other motorists.

Im not sure why I should be required to pay a tax on top locally though for something that ultimately reduces pollution and congestion not to mention is carbon neutral (ignoring the factories in Taiwan where most carbon bikes are produced). I pay enough taxes as it is!

Without wishing to get into an even bigger debate on it my bike insurance is more than my car insurance and covers third parties.

I also have a racing license issued by British Cycling which includes personal and public liability insurance up to £2 million off the top of my head. Additionally all of my details are registered on the BC website. The only times I’ve had to use it is when I’ve been “car doored” or “we didn’t see you there”.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of cyclists that give the rest of us a bad name (as there are plenty of drivers who do the same). Things like GoRide which is a BC initiative aim to build on cycling proficiency for keen young cyclists so hopefully ability and safety will continue to improve.

I've never quite understood why they don't do cycling proficiency courses at all Primary Schools for those with bikes. We did at ours many moons ago and I think all did in Abingdon at the time. We couldn't ride to school without doing it.

I've never quite understood why they don't do cycling proficiency courses at all Primary Schools for those with bikes. We did at ours many moons ago and I think all did in Abingdon at the time. We couldn't ride to school without doing it.
Mine was in Minchery farm and no helmets

Unfortunately, there are plenty of cyclists that give the rest of us a bad name (as there are plenty of drivers who do the same). Things like GoRide which is a BC initiative aim to build on cycling proficiency for keen young cyclists so hopefully ability and safety will continue to improve. I’m sure there’s many like me who ride/race who have had arguments with “cyclists” who run lights, ride on the kerb, ride down one way streets and so on. As I’m sure there’s many of you who’ve had run ins with other motorists.

Im not sure why I should be required to pay a tax on top locally though for something that ultimately reduces pollution and congestion not to mention is carbon neutral (ignoring the factories in Taiwan where most carbon bikes are produced). I pay enough taxes as it is!

sounds very much like your one of a very rare breed - especially in oxford - of good guy cyclists @carefreeoufc

A local tax to pay for the miles cycle lanes a petrol n diesel heads, such as myself pay to fund, via road fund duty but are excluded from using ( on any of my motor scooters or car) :sneaky:

its the local council trying to be too right on , who ate pissing me off, by excluding cars from swathes of the city centre , yet failing to seemingly grasp that cars are made here in Oxford, and they are messing with the employment of working class people of both the city and county :confused:

Last edited:
sounds very much like your one of a very rare breed - especially in oxford - of good guy cyclists @carefreeoufc

A local tax to pay for the miles cycle lanes a petrol n diesel head such as myself pay to fund, via road fund duty but are excluded from using ( on any of my motor scooters or car) :sneaky:

its the local council trying to be too right on , who ate pissing me off, by excluding cars from swathes of the city centre , yet failing to seemingly grasp that cars are made here in Oxford, and they are messing with the employment of working class people of both the city and county :confused:
There’s no room for cars in the centre, it’s obvious to anyone. There are however plenty of other places in the UK where you can drive BMWs made in Oxford.

Sadly I have absolutely zero faith in local or national governments to get it right here. If I was involved I’d be speaking to the Dutch and employing a consultant to design it
We’ve had quite enough of the Europeans trying to tell us anything about anything, thank you very much! We can do it all ourselves, as evidenced by our roads, public transport and cycle infrastructure systems being as world beating as they are at present. That they aren’t just European but are also experts means we should avoid the people you’d have us dealing with at all costs.

Besides, I heard Dom has a mate who knows a fella whose brother worked at Halford’s once. He can probably set up a company and then with a quick £150m government contract he’ll be able to sort it all out in a jiffy.

.... what’s a bus gate? ;)

Never drive in Oxford anyway, complete waste of time. Also you can have a drink that way. Up the public transport! Up the pubs!
Only people who drive in the city centre are Karens in their Jukes, posh twits in their Mercs and Range Rovers and grumpy old men in their white vans.

Last edited:
Never drive in Oxford anyway, complete waste of time. Also you can have a drink that way. Up the public transport! Up the pubs!
Only people who drive in the city centre are Karens in their Jukes, posh twits in their Mercs and Range Rovers and grumpy old men in their white vans.

To be fair to the grumpy old gits in their white vans they are at work and have a reason for driving, not that likely to be able to benefit by having a pint either.

Cant remember the last time i went in the city center. Its got to be 30 years. Boy that makes me feel old.

And then there are some of us who actually want to go shopping, buy several products and do not have herculean strength to carry all those items onto a bus with all the other passengers complaining that we have taken up seats with our packages. We might also wish to spend some money in a local bar/cafe/restaurant before leaving for home. (Heaven forbid that we might support the local economy)
Some of us are maybe no longer fit enough to ride bikes or wish to get wet every time it rains, or freeze when it's cold.

@Sarge makes a very valid point about car manufacturing and the city. And, it has to be said, at this particular time in history, having one's own personal mode of transport, enclosed and shielded from others, makes perfect sense of using a car instead of public transport. And, if one more cyclist comes near me expelling all manner of aerosol carried virus etc. I will not be held responsible for my actions. They, and joggers, are some of the most selfish users of space that I have come across.

Back
Top Bottom