National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

OK you've got me on this one. Why's it funny?

Maybe it indicates how far behind many of the worlds countries are when compared to the hot bed of racism, misogyny and every other "ism" that is the UK?

It is of course equally crap for those who want to buy stuff from europe. A small bit of bespoke electronics I was looking at would have been a ridiculous price by the time import duty etc was added on. So I won't get it. And no, there isn't a UK made equivalent I can buy. It's in the Netherlands - maybe Malc can get it and post it to me as a 'gift'? :)

It is of course equally crap for those who want to buy stuff from europe. A small bit of bespoke electronics I was looking at would have been a ridiculous price by the time import duty etc was added on. So I won't get it. And no, there isn't a UK made equivalent I can buy. It's in the Netherlands - maybe Malc can get it and post it to me as a 'gift'? :)

Tax dodgers like you mean kids starve................... :)

Written by Patrick Kielty in September 2018. Anyone who can claim, with a straight face, that the violence we've witnessed in the last week would have happened in April 2021 if Brexit hadn't have happened on 31 December 2020 is lying to themselves.

Any excuse is all they wanted........ perceived or real just an excuse....same as they have since the 1750`s.

"The rioting has largely seen loyalist youths throwing bricks, fireworks and petrol bombs at lines of police officers and vehicles.
But on Wednesday night the fighting escalated into sectarian clashes over a so-called peace wall in west Belfast that divides predominantly Protestant loyalist communities from predominantly Catholic nationalist communities who want to see a united Ireland."

Any excuse is all they wanted........ perceived or real just an excuse....same as they have since the 1750`s.

"The rioting has largely seen loyalist youths throwing bricks, fireworks and petrol bombs at lines of police officers and vehicles.
But on Wednesday night the fighting escalated into sectarian clashes over a so-called peace wall in west Belfast that divides predominantly Protestant loyalist communities from predominantly Catholic nationalist communities who want to see a united Ireland."
Yep, always had been. No one's arguing is hasn't. What they are saying is the GFA put a lid on it and had kept it on for 20 years and Brexit had removed the lid. As warned.

Not to worry...I'm sure Boris has plans to "level up" the Good Friday agreement and make it the Great Friday agreement. Or maybe he can do a sponsorship deal and re-name it the TGI Friday deal....but only if one of his chums owns the company I guess.[emoji848]

Anyway, I am sure good old Pritti is relishing the opportunity to put her new anti protest legislation into action...

And what better place to test it out than the petri dish that is NI. I'm sure she and her boss are finding those protests pretty annoying.
Go on Bojo and Pritti...do you worst! (really, don't...people will die).

Having read the BBC article I'm still struggling to see an established link between the recent events and brexit.

The article states:

There is increasing evidence that senior figures in organisations such as the Ulster Defence Association and Ulster Volunteer Force are allowing the trouble to proceed.
Analysts suggest loyalist paramilitaries of the South East Antrim UDA may have exploited an opportunity to kick back at the Police Service of Northern Ireland after a recent clampdown on criminality in the area around Carrickfergus.

So that's what the analysts are saying. The BBC then tries to link the violence to Brexit but to me they don't do a very clear job of it. Their first link is an earlier article they wrote which coincidentally states in its opening paragraph There is "palpable anger" among unionists over the NI Protocol but loyalists are not thinking of a return to violence, the BBC has been told.

Which is odd because it serves to counter the point the BBC is making.

The second piece of evidence is a picture of some anti Brexit grafitti which was daubed on a wall months ago?

I'm inclined to take the word of the so called analysts on this one, over the pure speculation of the BBC or indeed the posters on this forum. Unless there's a smoking gun which I am missing somewhere along the line.

Having read the BBC article I'm still struggling to see an established link between the recent events and brexit.

The article states:

There is increasing evidence that senior figures in organisations such as the Ulster Defence Association and Ulster Volunteer Force are allowing the trouble to proceed.
Analysts suggest loyalist paramilitaries of the South East Antrim UDA may have exploited an opportunity to kick back at the Police Service of Northern Ireland after a recent clampdown on criminality in the area around Carrickfergus.

So that's what the analysts are saying. The BBC then tries to link the violence to Brexit but to me they don't do a very clear job of it. Their first link is an earlier article they wrote which coincidentally states in its opening paragraph There is "palpable anger" among unionists over the NI Protocol but loyalists are not thinking of a return to violence, the BBC has been told.

Which is odd because it serves to counter the point the BBC is making.

The second piece of evidence is a picture of some anti Brexit grafitti which was daubed on a wall months ago?

I'm inclined to take the word of the so called analysts on this one, over the pure speculation of the BBC or indeed the posters on this forum. Unless there's a smoking gun which I am missing somewhere along the line.
You keep telling yourself that it's pure coincidence that something that was predicted to happen is happening.

You keep telling yourself that it's pure coincidence that something that was predicted to happen is happening.

The religious fundamentalists have been scrapping over there for nigh on 300 years..... that it`s barely made the news since they stopped bombing pubs etc doesn`t mean it has stopped.

No I'm not saying it's pure coincidence.

I'm saying that the Analysts suggest loyalist paramilitaries of the South East Antrim UDA may have exploited an opportunity to kick back at the Police Service of Northern Ireland after a recent clampdown on criminality in the area around Carrickfergus.

Your argument seems to just be correlation = causation, without any evidence that you are actually correct.

If the ice cream man comes when the sun is shining, it doesn't mean he's arranged for the sun to shine.

No I'm not saying it's pure coincidence.

I'm saying that the Analysts suggest loyalist paramilitaries of the South East Antrim UDA may have exploited an opportunity to kick back at the Police Service of Northern Ireland after a recent clampdown on criminality in the area around Carrickfergus.

Your argument seems to just be correlation = causation, without any evidence that you are actually correct.

If the ice cream man comes when the sun is shining, it doesn't mean he's arranged for the sun to shine.
I suppose if I'd voted for something that have given no tangible benefits but has resulted in rioting outside other people's houses and the failure of other people's businesses I'd might be in denial about it as well.

I suppose if I'd voted for something that have given no tangible benefits but has resulted in rioting outside other people's houses and the failure of other people's businesses I'd might be in denial about it as well.

A bunch of feral kids wanted an excuse for a tear up based on historic prejudices.

If we had remained they would have found another excuse.

Bit like the Left & Labour - find an excuse.

A bunch of feral kids wanted an excuse for a tear up based on historic prejudices.

If we had remained they would have found another excuse.
I hope for everyone affected this isn't your next 'bit of a snuffle' moment.

If we were still in the EU how many people do you think would have been vaccinated against covid in the UK? How many more would have died?

If we were still in the EU how many people do you think would have been vaccinated against covid in the UK? How many more would have died?

We could have still done our own thing with the Covid response and considering Euroscepticism would have been a thing still, even if we'd stayed, then I reckon we probably would have. Other EU countries have done their own thing after all already with lockdowns, border controls and buying vaccines outside of EU procurement.

Back
Top Bottom