International News Black Lives Matter

You accidentally score an own goal you don't accidently fire a gun thinking it was a Taser!!

You accidentally score an own goal you don't accidently fire a gun thinking it was a Taser!!

I've been very vocal in my condemnation of recent policing on both sides of the Atlantic, but I have a little sympathy in this case.

Police hold both firearms and tasers in holsters on their waistband and both will feel similar to hold. The police officer was panicked, you could hear that in her voice, and drew the wrong weapon. She clearly shouted taser, taser, before discharging the weapon and immediately realising what she had done wrong.

The consequences are tragic, and a "mistake" waiting to happen. But I do think this was a horrible accident and not in the same category as so many other cases we have seen.

I've been very vocal in my condemnation of recent policing on both sides of the Atlantic, but I have a little sympathy in this case.

Police hold both firearms and tasers in holsters on their waistband and both will feel similar to hold. The police officer was panicked, you could hear that in her voice, and drew the wrong weapon. She clearly shouted taser, taser, before discharging the weapon and immediately realising what she had done wrong.

The consequences are tragic, and a "mistake" waiting to happen. But I do think this was a horrible accident and not in the same category as so many other cases we have seen.
Has to be a charge of manslaughter

Has to be a charge of manslaughter
Not necessarily. Could be found to be an accidental death. Manslaughter is an unintentional death as a consequence of an illegal action. The discharge of a taser would have been legal and reasonable use of force in these circumstances. In fact, the individual was attempting to flee arrest and drive a vehicle potentially at law enforcement officers. Therefore deadly force (whilst unintended) could have also been seen to be legal and reasonable if the officer involved genuinely feared for they life or the lives of others.

Bottom line is that this a very sad but complex case and very different than many of the cases we've seen before.

Not necessarily. Could be found to be an accidental death. Manslaughter is an unintentional death as a consequence of an illegal action. The discharge of a taser would have been legal and reasonable use of force in these circumstances. In fact, the individual was attempting to flee arrest and drive a vehicle potentially at law enforcement officers. Therefore deadly force (whilst unintended) could have also been seen to be legal and reasonable if the officer involved genuinely feared for they life or the lives of others.

Bottom line is that this a very sad but complex case and very different than many of the cases we've seen before.
It more than likely was an accident, but if that was the outcome I doubt whether things in Minneapolis would stay quiet or in other parts of the country. I also don’t think a show trial to appease the locals would achieve anything.
But charges will be preferred on the police officer as she was a 26 year veteran of the police force and should of that has been said your firearm is in your dominant side and your taser holstered on your lest dominant side.

Do you think he would have been accidently shot if he were white?

I've called out racism many times, but from the limited footage I've seen I'm not sure that there is a racist element to this. The individual had actively resisted handcuffs being applied and was looking to evade police in a vehicle, which could be described as a deadly weapon. Had the officer pulled and discharged a taser then that would have been excellent policing.

But instead of pulling the taser, she pulled her fireman and the outcome was very different. A mistake? Yes. Incompetent? Probably. Sackable? In this climate, almost certain. Racist? I really don't think so.

Do you think he would have been accidently shot if he wasn`t resisting arrest and trying to escape?

The outcome and the behaviour leading to it has diddly to do with anyone`s skin colour.

Evidently had a warrant out for him,attempted to escape from police custody,gets shot.....maybe he should have not attempted to escape???? then there wouldnt have been this mix up between the gun and taser????....he engineered his own death............

Sorry, I usually agree with you on these matters but I think you’re way, way off base here (I’m speaking from experience of British firearms police, not American, so apologies if the US force is specifically what you’re talking about).

A (UK) police officer should always, always, always know what weapon they’re drawing. And they should never fire without being sure of their action and what weapon they have.

Plus, if you’ve ever held both, a taser feels VERY different to a firearm:

6C691C24-B571-48DD-90B2-266CF179739E.jpeg

‘The current climate’ has absolutely nothing to do with it, an officer who is incompetent/negligent enough to draw and fire a Glock 17 thinking it is a taser should absolutely be sacked for gross incompetence.

As for the race issue, that’s hard to say, but it does appear that police react more harshly / violently when they stop black people, in America.

Sorry, I usually agree with you on these matters but I think you’re way, way off base here (I’m speaking from experience of British firearms police, not American, so apologies if the US force is specifically what you’re talking about).

A (UK) police officer should always, always, always know what weapon they’re drawing. And they should never fire without being sure of their action and what weapon they have.

Plus, if you’ve ever held both, a taser feels VERY different to a firearm:

View attachment 6104

‘The current climate’ has absolutely nothing to do with it, an officer who is incompetent/negligent enough to draw and fire a Glock 17 thinking it is a taser should absolutely be sacked for gross incompetence.

As for the race issue, that’s hard to say, but it does appear that police react more harshly / violently when they stop black people, in America.
Yes, the US taser is very similar in looks to the standard issue firearm. However, having also fired both I'd imagine that the taser would be significantly lighter - but couldn't be sure.

As for the general race issue, I think you're completely right but couldn't say in this example whether it was motivated by race or not.

Evidently had a warrant out for him,attempted to escape from police custody,gets shot.....maybe he should have not attempted to escape???? then there wouldnt have been this mix up between the gun and taser????....he engineered his own death............
Do me a favour, moron

Is the public/political pressure and interventions, whilst the jury deliberates on the Floyd trial, appropriate?

Can see it going pop when the jury don`t come back with the "right" verdict......

Is the public/political pressure and interventions, whilst the jury deliberates on the Floyd trial, appropriate?

Can see it going pop when the jury don`t come back with the "right" verdict......
Totally inappropriate. The trial judge criticised it today yet their legal process doesn’t discourage it.

Back
Top Bottom