International News Black Lives Matter

It seems to have had a substantial role in awareness and stimulated a lot of discussion around what racism is and how to address it.
I even heard that there’s a forum for a league one football club that has been discussing it for months, when they would have been much less likely to discuss the issues at such length without it. (!)
Do you think many people have changed their minds as a result of the discussion?

I have no problem, and no one else seems to either. You say it's about freedom of expression but want to know why players raise a fist?

You demanded a response from the club, so I contacted them and summarised their response. That is there are no team orders, all players are free to express themselves in any way they wish, and are free to talk about it if they choose. They are under no obligations to explain themselves, and I think most people accept this.

But rather than leave it there, you go on to name people at the club who apparently fed me information whilst also saying that I know nothing! You said that you would retract this if I told you otherwise, which I have done. The information "fed to me" was on an email exchange with the club. I won't share that as its not the right thing to do, but happy to share with any mods or indeed anyone who doesn't share themselves. The communication was legitimate and appropriate, but that isn't enough for you for some reason.

You come across as a very bitter person and I honestly can't be bothered to continue this pointless exchange. I'll put you back on ignore and leave it to others to decide on what has been said to date.

Couldn't agree more. Junior thinks he's special. He's not.

Couldn't agree more. Junior thinks he's special. He's not.

Yet you keep replying. Found anyone to back up your claim that I’m a racist yet?

For all eggs waffle, he didn’t answer why (only) two players raise a fist whilst taking a knee. That’s what I want to know. What’s their reason for doing that. The rest we all know about and that’s the players prerogative.

Maybe today I’ll get a response!

Yet you keep replying. Found anyone to back up your claim that I’m a racist yet?

For all eggs waffle, he didn’t answer why (only) two players raise a fist whilst taking a knee. That’s what I want to know. What’s their reason for doing that. The rest we all know about and that’s the players prerogative.

Maybe today I’ll get a response!
I’m really struggling to understand why you expect Scotchegg to answer that. He could only speculate. You need the players in question to answer it. It’s a bit like asking him “why does Robbo’s wife prefer salad cream to ketchup?” - kinda misdirected.

The only thing wrong with this statement is the suggestion that kneeling ever made an impact in the first place. Someone in their comments references
the NHS clap, which was also entirely useless and was a poor substitute for genuine action.

Why not skim 2-3% off next year's season tickets and donate the cash to Kick it Out or a similar organisation? Perhaps players could donate part of their salaries as a blanket rule. Perhaps the players could go into schools in the Brentford area and teach disadvantaged children. You know - things that might actually make a change.

Agree with much of this and I said as much earlier in the thread. As a one off, taking the knee had some impact. When it becomes mandatory it becomes part of the furniture of the game - its meaning is diluted. It’s taken a handful of players and then eventually clubs to stop doing it and to take actual, meaningful and above all practical steps to drive change.

What has been good recently is players speaking out against online abuse and making sure that the publishers are held accountable. Individuals under handles and sobriquets will be racist and sexist because they know they can get away with it. No amount of taking the knee will stop that and it’s down to the social media platform to deal with the issue. It’s putting accountability on those who can solve the issue and not through some performative gesture.

I’m really struggling to understand why you expect Scotchegg to answer that. He could only speculate. You need the players in question to answer it. It’s a bit like asking him “why does Robbo’s wife prefer salad cream to ketchup?” - kinda misdirected.

The ridiculous thing is that I've said on a number of occasions that individuals are free to express themselves in any way they wish and that this is done with the full support of the club and other squad members.

Whether they choose to discuss their reasons or not are entirely up to them, but this thread has shown that there may not be much point. The vast majority will understand and support their views, but a few will only find more reason to question what they say, or speculate about hidden meanings.

Anyway, on to more important issues, salad cream is hugely undervalued having been dominated by the bland imposter mayonnaise in recent years. Salad cream gives you the spice and tang of ketchup but with the luxurious creamy feel of a mayonnaise. It's about time this country fell back in love with salad cream and I see no one better than Mrs Robinson to drive this national campaign.

Finally, well as it happens I do agree with some of that. But I also believe in freedom of expression.

I do think you are racist regarding your comments about the raised fist symbol.
ha ha ha ha but you get your knickers in a twist when some fans Boo ha ha ha freedom of expression only on your terms it seems.....pffffft

And here comes the wedge.........

Suspend stop & search?
"Most stop-and-searches require "reasonable grounds" for suspicion.
But 3%, known as Section 60s - in a set area, normally a neighbourhood, for a defined period of time, often following a violent incident or where police believe crimes may happen - do not.
There were almost 18,000, mostly in London, in the year to March 2020, an increase on the previous year.
And a quarter of those searched were black people, according to Home Office figures."

Maybe, just maybe, it is black kids primarily involved in violent incidents!

Back
Top Bottom