General Best and Worst XIs

Is there an Oxford United FC squad of former players who have gone into management and/or coaching at Football league level(or its equivalent) or above?
Generally players I've seen with the obvious exceptions of Big Ron, Jim Barron and Mark Wright

GK - Jim Barron - 1st team coach Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa, Caretaker Wolves, Birmingham and Northampton; Manager Cheltenham
RB - Sam Ricketts - Manager, Shrewsbury Town
CB - Ron Atkinson - Manager Cambridge, West Brom, Manchester United, Atletico Madrid, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa, Coventry and Nottingham Forest
CB - Malcolm Shotton - Manager OUFC
LB - John Trewick - Coach West Brom, Derby, Wolves, Asst Manager and then manager Hereford United
RM - Jim Magilton - Manager, Ipswich Town; QPR and N. Ireland U-21
CM - Steve McClaren - Youth Team OUFC; Asst Manager Derby, Man Utd & England; Manager; Middlesbrough, England, FC Twente, Wolfsburg, Nottingham Forest, Derby, Newcastle & QPR
CM - Dave Penny - Manager, Doncaster, Darlington, Oldham, Bristol Rovers
LM- Paul Simpson - 1st team Coach Newcastle; Manager Rochdale, Carlisle, Preston, Shrewsbury, Stockport, England U-20
CF - John Aldridge - Manager Tranmere Rovers
CF - Dean Saunders - Coach Blackburn & Newcastle; Manager Wrexham, Doncaster, Wolves, Crawley & Chesterfield

Subs
GK - Andy Woodman - West Ham, Charlton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace GK coach and apparently now head of goalkeeping at Arsenal according to LinkedIn!
DF - Andy Melville - 1st Team Coach OUFC; DoF (or similar) at Northampton
DF - Mark Wright - Manager Southport, OUFC, Peterborough and Chester City
CM - Dean Whitehead - Asst Manager Shrewsbury Town
CM - Mickey Lewis - Youth Team Coach ('96 - '99) 1st Team Coach (99 - 00 & 07 - 09), Asst Manager (09 - 14 & 14 - 15), Caretaker Manager (2014) and Manager (1999 - 2000) Oxford United
CF - Billy Hamilton - Manager Limerick and Distillery
CF - Martin Foyle - Manager Port Vale, Wrexham, York and Hereford

Wild Card - Ceri Evans - Psychologist New Zealand All Blacks and Petronas Mercedes AMG Formula One team (stretching it a bit, but quite some CV with 8 world titles since 2011!!) https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/08/lewis-hamilton-reverse-mercedes-psychologist-f1

I'm sure I've missed someone really obvious from there.... decent enough team, as all players who played (either for us or later in career) in Championship or higher. Some decent managerial and coaching CV's there too

Last edited:
Generally players I've seen with the obvious exceptions of Big Ron, Jim Barron and Mark Wright

GK - Jim Barron - 1st team coach Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa, Caretaker Wolves, Birmingham and Northampton; Manager Cheltenham
RB - Sam Ricketts - Manager, Shrewsbury Town
CB - Ron Atkinson - Manager Cambridge, West Brom, Manchester United, Atletico Madrid, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa, Coventry and Nottingham Forest
CB - Malcolm Shotton - Manager OUFC 1998 - 1999
LB - John Trewick - Coach West Brom, Derby, Wolves, Asst Manager and then manager Hereford United
RM - Jim Magilton - Manager, Ipswich Town; QPR and N. Ireland U-21
CM - Steve McClaren - Youth Team OUFC; Asst Manager Derby, Man Utd & England; Manager; Middlesbrough, England, FC Twente, Wolfsburg, Nottingham Forest, Derby, Newcastle & QPR
CM - Dave Penny - Manager, Doncaster, Darlington, Oldham, Bristol Rovers
LM- Paul Simpson - 1st team Coach Newcastle; Manager Rochdale, Carlisle, Preston, Shrewsbury, Stockport, England U-20
CF - John Aldridge - Manager Tranmere Rovers
CF - Dean Saunders - Coach Blackburn & Newcastle; Manager Wrexham, Doncaster, Wolves, Crawley & Chesterfield

Subs
GK - Andy Woodman - West Ham, Charlton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace GK coach and apparently now head of goalkeeping at Arsenal according to LinkedIn!
DF - Andy Melville - 1st Team Coach OUFC; DoF (or similar) at Northampton
DF - Mark Wright - Manager Southport, OUFC, Peterborough and Chester City
CM - Dean Whitehead - Asst Manager Shrewsbury Town
CM - Mickey Lewis - Youth Team Coach ('96 - '99) 1st Team Coach (99 - 00 & 07 - 09), Asst Manager (09 - 14 & 14 - 15), Caretaker Manager (2014) and Manager (1999 - 2000) Oxford United
CF - Billy Hamilton - Manager Limerick and Distillery)
CF - Martin Foyle - Manager Port Vale, Wrexham, York and Hereford

Wild Card - Ceri Evans - Psychologist New Zealand All Blacks and Petronas Mercedes AMG Formula One team (stretching it a bit, but quite some CV with 8 world titles since 2011!!) https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/08/lewis-hamilton-reverse-mercedes-psychologist-f1

I'm sure I've missed someone really obvious from there.... decent enough team, as all players who played (either for us or later in career in Championship or higher and some decent managerial and coaching CVs there too
no honourable mention for Mike Ford ? Caretaker manager OUFC plying his managerial trade at Banbury Utd after a stint at 'City

Disagree. He was a wonderful player when he could be arsed. Which was almost never. Had a brilliant technique.

Agreed, he had great technique at times but his good games were too much of a rarity precisely because he couldn't be arsed. He was an utter waster of his talent, more interested in his flicks and showboating than grafting when it was needed. Hence style over substance and I'd add a waste of a transfer fee.

Last edited:
no honourable mention for Mike Ford ? Caretaker manager OUFC plying his managerial trade at Banbury Utd after a stint at 'City
Yeah, toyed with it and felt bad about not putting him in, possibly should have been in ahead of Andy Melville as AM hasn't ever been a caretaker or manager as far as I could see, but did have longer coaching career in pro game... harsh on Fordy though.

PS. I loved Fordy and Robbo being back as legends the other week!

Disagree. He was a wonderful player when he could be arsed. Which was almost never. Had a brilliant technique.

He may have had brilliant technique but he was probably scared of butterflies.

He may have had brilliant technique but he was probably scared of butterflies.
Wasn't Burgess the Bertie big B*****s who was writing a Daily Mirror column whilst we totally messed up the second half of that season?! If he'd kept the skill he had and replaced the size of his ego with one quarter the same size of heart he'd have been a Championship player.

Am I making up the newspaper column and the fact that he was Talbot's son-in-law? I think that's correct, but might be a week of lock down driving me mad!

Last edited:
Wasn't Burgess the Bertie big B*****s who was writing a Daily Mirror column whilst we totally messed up the second half of that season?! If he'd kept the skill he had and replaced the size of his ego with one quarter the same size of heart he'd have been a Championship player.

Am I making up the newspaper column and the fact that he was Talbot's son-in-law? I think that's correct, but might be a week of lock down driving me mad!

I think you are right on all counts.

Seem to remember he went on to coach or manage in women's football at a fairly decent level too?

I'm sure this has been done before but on what seems a very dull and pointless Saturday with nothing to do, of which I'm missing football the most, here is my take and Best and Worst XIs.

All excellent choices....but I'd like to take a left turn, and ask for match predictions for our own Best vs Worst XI.

This being Oxford, I'd be tipping that we'd win with a / by beaten by a last minute winner / heart-breaker in our home / away derby, and the Worst XI would sneak it 2-1.

Anthrobus sneaking it with probably the best goal of his career, bounced off his tail end when he was running the other way when a corner was being cleared.

Last edited:
I remember Andy (no heart) Burgess playing in a game against us the Grenoble Road (not sure if we was playing on the wing) and his team were attacking the Oxford Mail Stand and every time he got the ball on the wing he was booed and didn't have the guts to really attack and cross the ball - utter TOSSER in my book.

I remember Andy (no heart) Burgess playing in a game against us the Grenoble Road (not sure if we was playing on the wing) and his team were attacking the Oxford Mail Stand and every time he got the ball on the wing he was booed and didn't have the guts to really attack and cross the ball - utter TOSSER in my book.
That was for Mansfield. I remember him just standing there on the wing waiting for someone to pass to him when the game was at the other end of the pitch

Back
Top Bottom