General Aid for the EFL?

Just the beginning though.

This sounds reasonably positive: "The clubs also decided on a £50m rescue package for League One and Two clubs at the meeting."
So a million each, wonder how that compares to a season's gate receipts?

Ideally for each home game each club would receive an amount equivalent to the amount of gate receipts for the same game last season

If OUFC were in receipt of any handout from PL, the lion'sprobaly share would go in the pocket of our slum landlord, Id've thought?

As Liverpool and Manchester United would like to reduce the premiership by two, how about they opt to leave?

Having not played a game all season if Mesut Ozil gave up his £16,120,000 annual salary that would be another £322.400 for each club. That would be useful!

Just the beginning though.

This sounds reasonably positive: "The clubs also decided on a £50m rescue package for League One and Two clubs at the meeting."
"In grants and interest-free loans"

Massively depends on the proportion of each element, £45 million of loans for instance can never be repaid..........

And let's not forget where the Government is on this topic, £1.6 billion to protect the Arts (many of which I like) , £0 for soccer (!). Where's the ask for Rihanna (net worth £468m , or The Duck of Northumberland £445m, Davis Lewis £390m Elton John £360m Francois Pinault £6.6 billion Leonard Blavantik £15.8 billion and so on) to put their hand in their pocket to support the arts?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what point this guy is trying to land?

Yet another member of the government clearly out of his depth, taking a minute to waffle around a question (I suppose only taking a minute is good going for this government) that he clearly has no actual answer to. Chucking in words like "quantum" because it sounds 'sciencey' and will fool some people into thinking I have a deep understanding.
This is the same guy threatening government intervention into football, whilst clearly not knowing/understanding that would see FIFA take action, which could include England being excluded from national competition.

EFL, seem to me to often be like turkeys voting for Christmas
most of them only ever look at the shortest term, its one of the reasons many are in the mess they are in the first place.

If the EFL even thinks about saying no - forget "Premiership Two", League One & League Two clubs should break away, form their own organization and take the money.

Alternatively, when the first League One & Two teams start going bust, maybe they'll have a case to sue the EFL for failing in its fiduciary duty to its member clubs that are most in need?

Championship clubs are responsible for their own downfall here. They're the ones that run at absurd Wages-to-Revenues ratios, and they are the ones that have rejected the notion of a salary cap to put a brake on the out-of-control spending.

They also are less reliant, in general, on matchday income than League One & League Two clubs, as they get more TV money and bigger commercial contracts. So probably wouldn't be the first to go......

If the EFL even thinks about saying no - forget "Premiership Two", League One & League Two clubs should break away, form their own organization and take the money.

Alternatively, when the first League One & Two teams start going bust, maybe they'll have a case to sue the EFL for failing in its fiduciary duty to its member clubs that are most in need?

Championship clubs are responsible for their own downfall here. They're the ones that run at absurd Wages-to-Revenues ratios, and they are the ones that have rejected the notion of a salary cap to put a brake on the out-of-control spending.

They also are less reliant, in general, on matchday income than League One & League Two clubs, as they get more TV money and bigger commercial contracts. So probably wouldn't be the first to go......
EFL is a member organisation, so the people failing the member clubs are themselves.

EFL is a member organisation, so the people failing the member clubs are themselves.

So as I understand it, the EFL has a weighted structure for its Board - three Championship representatives, two League One, one League Two and a couple of independents.

Presumably therefore, the EFL could reject a 50 million Premier League bailout, even if all League One and League Two clubs wanted it unanimously.

Now I don't know what strings the PL might be trying to attach to the funding, and it may be so ridiculous that nobody wants it.
But if it's reasonable, and the EFL rejects it against the wishes of the lower league representatives purely because it doesn't offer anything for the Championship, and then League One & League Two clubs start going bust as a result......well, it seems to me that that should, and probably would blow up the organization completely.

Back
Top Bottom