National News A Question of Sport

Another example of why I think the TV License model is archaic and should be abandoned - but I've had that argument on here before, and will avoid getting into it again!!
I missed the previous argument, and logically nobody could really justify the TV licence. But.....
Radio 1 ( giving new acts a platform)
Radio 6
Radio 4
Radio Oxford

Plus some minority TV programmes.

The downside of losing the TV licence is the 'dumbing down' and loss of some really high quality radio/ TV.

I appreciate that there is now Amazon etc.

EastEnders, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Worlds Strongest Man , Doc Martin, Family Fortune's, Gordon,Gino&Fred, Gavin & Stacey, University Challenge, Nigella, Great British Sewing Bee, Celebrity Mastermind, Celebrity MasterChef, Gogglebox, Father Brown,🀣 Pointless 🀣, Bargain Hunt, Escape To The Country, Home's Under The Hammer, Traffic Cop's, Casualty, Country File, Antiques Road Show, Strictly Come Dancing, I'm. A Celebrity Get me out Of Here, X Factor, ( Ect, Etc)
UtterπŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’© of the highest order...
MERRY CHRISTMAS 🀘

EastEnders, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Worlds Strongest Man , Doc Martin, Family Fortune's, Gordon,Gino&Fred, Gavin & Stacey, University Challenge, Nigella, Great British Sewing Bee, Celebrity Mastermind, Celebrity MasterChef, Gogglebox, Father Brown,🀣 Pointless 🀣, Bargain Hunt, Escape To The Country, Home's Under The Hammer, Traffic Cop's, Casualty, Country File, Antiques Road Show, Strictly Come Dancing, I'm. A Celebrity Get me out Of Here, X Factor, ( Ect, Etc)
MERRY CHRISTMAS 🀘
Whoa, steady on fella! You can take one off the list but agree with crapness of the rest.
Worlds Strongest Man is an essential watch in our house post Xmas! πŸ’ͺ πŸ‹πŸΌ

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m
I know what 'jumped the shark' means (and where it came from) but really can't think how it applies to HIGNFY. Care to explain?

I thought it just meant that a programme used to be good and now its shite? Personally I always think thats harsh on the Fonz, the man jumped over a a shark on water skis, can't see Ian Hislop managing that.

I thought it just meant that a programme used to be good and now its shite? Personally I always think thats harsh on the Fonz, the man jumped over a a shark on water skis, can't see Ian Hislop managing that.
Generally it is accepted to mean a show (usually a comedy or drama) that has introduced a ridiculous plot point and is never the same again. Sort of what you meant but not quite (unless the meaning has evolved without me noticing, which is 100% possible!).

I don't agree the HIGNFY is now 'sh!te' - it can still be very funny indeed (depending on who the guests are and the guest host is). Probably uncomfortable viewing if you are a fan of the current government though - but don't worry, they'll be dishing it out the the next (Labour) government when they get in!

Last edited:
Whoa, steady on fella! You can take one of the list but agree with crapness of the rest.
Worlds Strongest Man is an essential watch in our house post Xmas! πŸ’ͺ πŸ‹πŸΌ
Well I was going to argue about the inclusion of Nigella. If he doesn't want her, she's more than welcome around mine 😁

MERRY CHRISTMAS 🀘

The new series of Gladiators can't come soon enough!

I missed the previous argument, and logically nobody could really justify the TV licence. But.....
Radio 1 ( giving new acts a platform)
Radio 6
Radio 4
Radio Oxford

Plus some minority TV programmes.

The downside of losing the TV licence is the 'dumbing down' and loss of some really high quality radio/ TV.

I appreciate that there is now Amazon etc.

I'd agree that BBC Radio is great.
But radio is not that expensive, and the government could easily keep the services going without the need to charge a Β£169.50 annual TV tax.
Plus, there's some terrific radio stations round where I live - both commercial and member-supported. Radio doesn't need to be public to be good.

TV is much more expensive, and there is absolutely masses of quality content across a wide range of genres being developed through the streaming platforms.
It's beyond time to let people choose what they want to watch (and therefore what they want to pay for) rather than force everyone to pay a tax in order to prop up one broadcasting corporation.

I'd agree that BBC Radio is great.
But radio is not that expensive, and the government could easily keep the services going without the need to charge a Β£169.50 annual TV tax.
Plus, there's some terrific radio stations round where I live - both commercial and member-supported. Radio doesn't need to be public to be good.

TV is much more expensive, and there is absolutely masses of quality content across a wide range of genres being developed through the streaming platforms.
It's beyond time to let people choose what they want to watch (and therefore what they want to pay for) rather than force everyone to pay a tax in order to prop up one broadcasting corporation.
I can understand your perspective, but I also think it’s a bit optimistic. Radio maybe cheap, but without some sort of charter or constitutional commitment, the fate of any centrally funded radio will be short-lived and massively prone to the whims of populist government (which is what we’re going to be stuck with for a while).
The US approach of philanthropy or advertising to fund things works better than I had ever expected (when I first visited a mate in Dallas in 1994 who told me they subscribed to their local station) but is also precarious in its independence.
Clearly the license fee is clumsy and out of date, but does provide some independence. Australia has a similar setup to Britain (ABC=BBC, SBS=C4, plus a bunch of commercials), but is simply tax-funded. This means it is always a political hot potato especially with the current culture wars and the love-in between the right wing and Sky News.
The idea of the BBC charter was to remove it from that constant political to-and-Fro, but the changes in media access and funding mean that the license fee is permanently contentious now anyway, so doesn’t serve that purpose.
I’m not sure what the answer is, but I don’t think winding back collective (govt) commitment to supporting quality journalism and creativity would be a positive move.

Back
Top Bottom