Matches 74 points is the holy grail

Don't think 74 points will be enough this season. Look at the teams above current ppg.

The top 5 and Accrington have a better ppg than us at the moment. But considering our dreadful start we aren't far of them. Currently we are at 1.6 ppg, Hull in second are at 1.81 ppg. 6th place Charlton are at 1.59 ppg. Lots to play for still, I reckon if every club carries on the same kind of form then the last play off place will be around the 77 point Mark, but we all know teams will drop points here and there.

Win on Saturday against Wigan and we will have won as many games as we’ve drawn and lost combined...

The problem we have is that we haven’t won against anyone in the top six. We seem to beat the teams below us bar a couple, and if we are serious about autos or playoffs we need to beat them teams above when they come around.

Wigan is a must 3 points to really put teams above under pressure.

All about peaking at the right time especially if your going the play off route like we seem to be . We have a run against the top teams soon that’s when we really push up if we carry on in this form

The problem we have is that we haven’t won against anyone in the top six. We seem to beat the teams below us bar a couple, and if we are serious about autos or playoffs we need to beat them teams above when they come around.

The thing is, you're never going to win every game in a season, so those dropped points are going to come somewhere. The consistency with which we put away the teams we should be putting away is remarkable. You can bet your life, come the end of the season, there'll be someone up there ruing points dropped against poor teams - Lincoln lost at home to the Gas earlier in the year, for example, and Hull lost at Burton on the weekend. It doesn't seem like we'll have those regrets (touch wood). The only team in the bottom half, who were in the bottom half when we played them, that we haven't beaten is Swindon. The other two are Gillingham and Blackpool, who were both looking decent in the early stages of the season when we came up against them.

Also, I think it's worth noting that we haven't had the chance to beat these teams since we've actually hit form. We've exclusively played the division's poorer teams for months - with the exception of Doncaster, where we outplayed them and, on other day, would have won comfortably. Pompey in a couple of weeks' time will be a fascinating indicator of just how far we've come. And let's not forget our January additions, who by all accounts look too good for this division and will give us an extra edge we didn't have in the first months of the year.

I think things are looking very positive indeed.

74 points are very likely to be enough to make the play offs.
It really doesn't matter how you get there. Most of the losses have been at the start of the season when we were out if sorts (as well as Doncaster when we were perhaps unfortunate). We drew with Pompey and Hull that were decent results.
Having said that we have all of the top teams left to play most of them at home. I believe that 5 of the Top 6 are to come to the Kassam. Interesting times.

Don't think 74 points will be enough this season. Look at the teams above current ppg.
Potentially although 74 points has been good enough in the last 10 years to achieve at least 6th spot and I don't see any reason why this season would be different - no-one is running away with the title and no-one is marooned at the bottom - it's a fairly standard mid-season table. Not every team near the top will continue to achieve their current PPG, it's then a question of whether any lower ranked teams pick up significantly.

We lost to Fleetwood, to go bottom at the end of October, this was our 8th game and we had 6 points.

We have now played 25 games and have 40 points, so we have got 34 PTS from those last 17 games, an average of 2pts per game.

It will be hard, but if we can carry that on until the end of the season, we'll be looking at auto's.

After the Tranmere match is when we will see if play-offs are doable.

A run of:

Ipswich (A)
Portsmouth (H)
MK Dons (A)
Peterborough (H)
Charlton (H)

If we can take points off those around/ahead of us we will be in a good spot

I'm staying quiet on what I think we can achieve until that run of fixtures is over. If we come out of that run of fixtures still in the mix then I will dare to dream.

We lost to Fleetwood, to go bottom at the end of October, this was our 8th game and we had 6 points.

We have now played 25 games and have 40 points, so we have got 34 PTS from those last 17 games, an average of 2pts per game.

It will be hard, but if we can carry that on until the end of the season, we'll be looking at auto's.
We're currently 9 points off Hull in second with two games in hand. I know there's teams below them who also have games in hand etc., but I think anyone finishing above Hull will be going up automatically.

Genuinely no reason we shouldn't aim for the top two.

I don’t really think that’s a major problem. Plenty of teams have won titles by beating the rubbish but not being so successful against their immediate rivals. As long as the likes of Sunderland and Doncaster keep doing what they did last night and we keep beating those below us then the table will look after itself.

The most boring and well worn phrase in football of ‘one game at a time‘ really does ring true for us. Beat Wigan and we are bound to close on at least one team above us and it wont be long before we are up around 6th and with a game or two in hand on.

I don’t really think that’s a major problem. Plenty of teams have won titles by beating the rubbish but not being so successful against their immediate rivals. As long as the likes of Sunderland and Doncaster keep doing what they did last night and we keep beating those below us then the table will look after itself.

The most boring and well worn phrase in football of ‘one game at a time‘ really does ring true for us. Beat Wigan and we are bound to close on at least one team above us and it wont be long before we are up around 6th and with a game or two in hand on.
It really isn't a problem as it's a league and not one off games, teams drop pts regardless....As an example of why it matters not we were bottom 3 so must have beaten teams above us to get to where we are now.

Actually, being pedantic, but in a good way, if we win on Saturday we will close on at least two teams above us due to:
Lincoln v Accrington
Sunderland v Doncaster

Back
Top Bottom