Matches 74 points is the holy grail

Wallop

Why? Because with that total, a club has guaranteed a League One play-off place for the past 10 years. The average seems to be about 72.5 with Chesterfield securing 6th place with 69 points on one occasion BUT get 74 points and it appears to be a nailed on play-off place.

So we have 31 points from 21 games. To achieve the 74 total, we need to average 1.72 points per game for the rest of the season. That's a tall order but only 0.11 points more per game than the 1.61 you'd need from the start of the season per game to achieve 74 points. We have three of the more straightforward games coming up where we are playing the teams in 20th, 21st and 24th in the form table:

If (and I know it's a big if) we can win all three, we'd have 40 points from 24 games played and suddenly the remaining points per game needed becomes 1.54 - pretty much win half your games territory.

Watch us lose the next three now........

Win the next three and that’s nine straight wins - simply staggering from where we were before starting the run! You have to assume we’ll at least start to draw some games...

Win the next three and that’s nine straight wins - simply staggering from where we were before starting the run! You have to assume we’ll at least start to draw some games...
Win, draw, win, draw until the end of the season and that's 82 points - no problem :) , losing is not an option - just ask The Donald

We have three of the more straightforward games coming up where we are playing the teams in 20th, 21st and 24th in the form table:

If (and I know it's a big if) we can win all three, we'd have 40 points from 24 games played and suddenly the remaining points per game needed becomes 1.54 - pretty much win half your games territory.

Watch us lose the next three now........

The game against Wimbledon is in the pizza pot trophy. Our third league match is against Doncaster, 2nd in the form table.

We are a run team, either seem to amass big points over a short spell and shoot up the table or struggle badly, pick up nearly no points and plummet downwards, been like that since we have been back in league one. We have had a kind run of fixtures after a tough start, once the harder ones come back round and we lose one/two games it will be how we bounce back that will decide our fate, we tend to really struggle.

Last season was such an anomaly that we could of in reality finished have finished anywhere between top and twelfth, we will never know how we would of reacted to the inevitable loss that would of occurred during the run in, this season looks like finishing rather than ppg B*****s so we will have to show a bit more backbone than we have in the past to make the play offs.

• React
Reactions: m
With 25 games to go and 43 points needed to reach the 74, that means we have to win14 and draw 1 of the games. Losing only 10 games. Not unreachable I would have thought.

I think I have got the number right. I wouldn't guarantee it though. :unsure:

The game against Wimbledon is in the pizza pot trophy. Our third league match is against Doncaster, 2nd in the form table.
Well spotted! Quick glance at the fixture list rather than a considered view. Oh well just need to beat Donny instead. Even if we get 6 from the next 9 points, still on track.

With 25 games to go and 43 points needed to reach the 74, that means we have to win14 and draw 1 of the games. Losing only 10 games. Not unreachable I would have thought.

I think I have got the number right. I wouldn't guarantee it though. :unsure:
That's spot on or win 13, draw 4, lose 8 and sequential permutations. This does show that given we are reasonably safe from relegation but really need to kick on to have a chance of the play-offs, too many draws are our enemy - sh*t or bust in each game.

I am waiting for Kip to come on here suggesting that without signings we could easily slip into a relegation fight ;)

That's spot on or win 13, draw 4, lose 8 and sequential permutations. This does show that given we are reasonably safe from relegation but really need to kick on to have a chance of the play-offs, too many draws are our enemy - sh*t or bust in each game.
Not necessarily - we can get the 43 points by only winning 9, drawing 16 and not losing any! 😉🤔

Goal difference can also give you the edge at the end of a season. if we get to finish the season!

Points per game Table l Jan 27 2021
Lincoln 2.09
Doncaster 2.00
Hull City 1.88
Peterborough 1.87
Accrington 1.80
Portsmouth 1.78
Sunderland 1.70
Charlton 1.60
Ipswich 1.59
OXFORD 1.55

1.61 points per game required now or to put it another way we need to get the same tally as we have to date : 37 points from 23 games.

Back
Top Bottom