Home Match Day Thread 7/11/2020 FA Cup round 1 OUFC v Peterborough United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevens did ok , didnt have much chance with either goal, confident in the saves he did have to make.
Forde outstanding, would play him at right back permanently. Shodipo did very well for a young lad who is learning. Overall a good performance, unlucky to lose.
At long last, we have seen a referee worse than Kettle

Forde at right back made the defence look quite solid, shame about the 2 dumb mistakes that gave them goals.

McGuane, Hall and Kelly pretty ineffectual. Taylor completely isolated up front. Shadipo didn't look bad. Can't help feeling that Agyei would have been the sub we needed, the ones Robinson used were a waste of time.

Daniel Freeman is correct about Ruffels and his delivery today. Not beating the first man is so frustrating
after getting into good areas.

Scum knocked out by Darlington. Does that mean it’s likely our rearranged game would be the 2nd round weekend? Be better than a week off.

We really need to arrange a game whoever it is against to reduce fixture backlog especially if the Donny game is called off.

I agree with others that have mentioned how frustrating this game was, poor decision making and silly mistakes. McGuane being a culprit of far too many poor decisions. Shodipo has now swallowed all the praise and decided that he is a football god and can win the game on his own. Kelly has still got a long way to go to convince me of his place. Sykes was half good and half bad, good intent, good interception, good running and then, poor final touch. Tayls is going to give up trying at some point, he never got more than the merest sniff of a ball, most went behind, over or just never got near him. Same for Winnal who looked fairly dejected at his lack of chances to shine.
Plus points: Forde was a different class. Longy was very good and combined well with Moore. If, and that's if, Shodipo can be coached then we have a player with some potential but, as he is here on loan, that probably goes without saying. QPR will benefit long term, not us.
Jack Stevens looked confident and was always looking for a quick release and to get the ball played out from the back - he deserves another start.

There are lots of people who seem to be commenting on the game without actually seeing it.
Ok we lost but I was surprised how well we played and the desire and effort put into the game

So the down sides
Ruffels again shows that he is the weak link in the defence - never stops the ball being crossed, no physical presence , nothing going forward - maybe a confidence thing but needs replacing
Hall is clearly past it, just don;t know how KR does not see this. Why the new contract, such a waste of a squad number

Ups
The winger was excellent first half and provides a threat
Forde - blimey what at great game at full back. KR now the decision is with you

Jury out
Stevens - did nothing wrong just did not save their shots for goals. Better than Eastwood - anyone is better than him at the moment but good enough ?
Cooper - I like but needs game time - should have started in stead of Hall

So last thoughts , 2 good wide men - 2 proven strikers but yet we play 433

Time for 442 maybe
Because whilst I say wingers - both seem very good at tracking back and therefore are not one dimensional

Any how - my first thoughts after the game

Ok we lost but I was surprised how well we played and the desire and effort put into the game

But I think this is the worry.

When you win but do not play great it is usually taken as a positive sign. So when you lose but play well/ok it follows that the signs are not so great.

We need to start getting the rub of the green.

Shodipo really needs to wait for an actual challenge before throwing himself down as he did on those 2 occasions imo. Rightly booked. He wasted 2 good positions as a result and may have actually got a challenge/penalty if he had stayed up at those times. He does plenty very well with his direct running which I really like but, apart from the above, he needs to work on his final ball. He had some good balls in, the early cross towards the end was so close to being perfect for Winnall, but there were plenty that hit the 1st defender.

Kelly had some excellent moments (that ball over the top in the 1st half for Taylor who put it over the bar was sublime) but at times he looks like a boy in a men's game. I appreciate at times his size doesn't help in this impression but his physicality really is becoming a problem at times imo. In the 1st half, at times he looked lost when we were under pressure but then, in stark contrast, in the 2nd half some of his ratting for the ball was good. I don't know what to make of him or whether he will be a good player. Unfortunately, he reminds me of Jack Payne.

Rob Hall is getting to the "thank you for all the great memories but" moment for me. I really hope he turns it around but apart from not putting a sitter in, he was pretty anonymous for me.

McGuane had some good moments but then he had some bad ones as well. Moments when it was almost play by numbers and then there were moments when he was instinctive, on the front foot and really positively affecting the game. I hope KR encourages the latter as he really looks a player when playing like that.

Jack Stevens did well for me. He had no chance with either goal. His sweeping behind the defence was good, as was his going for/claiming crosses. I would happily have him being no.1 on what I;ve seen from him this season.

Forde was very good. His set piece play is now an essential part of our play and he is one of the 1st names on the teamsheet for me. I still prefer that he is in central midfield though.

Ruffs still looks short of confidence to me but I'm glad he scored. Regardless of offside or not offside, it was a bit of a shocker for the 1st goal as he really should have controlled that.

I liked Cooper's intent when he came on.

Whilst I've been critical, I was encouraged at the team keeping pushing forward even after both goals conceded. There was some very good play mixed in and on another day we would have won that game. Also, I don't think losing will affect our confidence.

Edited for poor spelling.

Last edited:
Shodipo really needs to wait for an actual challenge before throwing himself down as he did on those 2 occasions imo. Rightly booked. He wasted 2 good positions as a result and may have actually got a challenge/penalty if he had stayed up at those times. He does plenty very well with his direct running which I really like but, apart from the above, he needs to work on his final ball. He had some good balls in, the early cross towards the end was so close to being perfect for Winnall, but there were plenty that hit the 1st defender.

Kelly had some excellent moments (that ball over the top in the 1st half for Taylor who put it over the bar was sublime) but at times he looks like a boy in a men's game. I appreciate at times his size doesn't help in this impression but his physicality really is becoming a problem at times imo. In the 1st half, at times he looked lost when we were under pressure but then, in stark contrast, in the 2nd half some of his ratting for the ball was good. I don't know what to make of him or whether he will be a good player. Unfortunately, he reminds me of Jack Payne.

Rob Hall is getting to the "thank you for all the great memories but" moment for me. I really hope he turns it around but apart from not putting a sitter in, he was pretty anonymous for me.

McGuane had some good moments but then he had some bad ones as well. Moments when it was almost play by numbers and then there were moments when he was instinctive, on the front foot and really positively affecting the game. I hope KR encourages the latter as he really looks a player when playing like that.

Jack Stevens did well for me. He had no chance with either goal. His sweeping behind the defence was good, as was his going for/claiming crosses. I would happily have him being no.1 on what I;ve seen from him this season.

Forde was very good. His set piece play is now an essential part of our play and he is one of the 1st names on the teamsheet for me. I still prefer he in central midfield though.

Ruffs still looks short of confidence to me but I'm glad he scored. Regardless of offside or not offside, it was a bit of a shocker for the 1st goal as he really should have controlled that.

I liked Cooper's intent when he came on.

Whilst I've been critical, I was encouraged at the team keeping pushing forward even after both goals conceded. There was some very good play mixed in and on anotehr day we would have won that game. Also, I don't think losing will affect our confidence.
Id agree with all of that

Imagine if Peterborough get a big gun away in round three in front of no one? Guess this is the season to not be so bothered about the cup...

Imagine if Peterborough get a big gun away in round three in front of no one? Guess this is the season to not be so bothered about the cup...
Exactly.....i'm usually going on about who we might have got in later rounds but it doesnt really matter does it this year.....listened on the radio and we sounded ok.......makes me feel a little more confident we will avoid relegation........only bad thing is i had 50p on Darlington/bristol rovers and bleedin Accrington.....£35........:rolleyes::confused:

One was down to mcguane I missed the first goal! Generally the back four were very solid. Kelly and Mcguane could do so much better. At least Sykes tries to be progressive and does some great touches and looks fit. Sadly Hall has lost a vital bit of pace. Winnall?
First one was offside

But the goals weren't Stevens fault? Eastwood has made mistakes in pretty much every game this season. Stop making excuses for him.
So you want to debate if goals scored by the opposition were down to one unique fault made by a keeper, or collectively by a dire defensive unit?

Ok so let's turn that around, are you going to say that the goalkeeper is the sole person responsible for keeping a string of clean sheets?

Lets also not forget the number of times over the last few years, when as a keeper, Eastwood has kept us the lead, or prevented us going further behind.
Tell me when did we become a bunch of fans that singled out one player for us losing a game, especially when it is a goalkeeper.
Yes we have had poor goalkeepers over the years, but as this season goes on it will be Eastwood, not Stevens, who will be there to raise his game, keep us in games and so on. Some Oxford fans should be careful what they wish for, that we don't end up with a genuinely poor keeper between the sticks.

If he stays Eastwood has a good few years left at the top. This is a keeper who only a year or so ago fans were worried was going to move back up north. I don't see kr using stevens as first choice if Eastwood gets injured. If a loan was permitted then as has happened on two previous occasions, a loan keeper would come in.

So you want to debate if goals scored by the opposition were down to one unique fault made by a keeper, or collectively by a dire defensive unit?

Ok so let's turn that around, are you going to say that the goalkeeper is the sole person responsible for keeping a string of clean sheets?

Lets also not forget the number of times over the last few years, when as a keeper, Eastwood has kept us the lead, or prevented us going further behind.
Tell me when did we become a bunch of fans that singled out one player for us losing a game, especially when it is a goalkeeper.
Yes we have had poor goalkeepers over the years, but as this season goes on it will be Eastwood, not Stevens, who will be there to raise his game, keep us in games and so on. Some Oxford fans should be careful what they wish for, that we don't end up with a genuinely poor keeper between the sticks.

If he stays Eastwood has a good few years left at the top. This is a keeper who only a year or so ago fans were worried was going to move back up north. I don't see kr using stevens as first choice if Eastwood gets injured. If a loan was permitted then as has happened on two previous occasions, a loan keeper would come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom