Home Match Day Thread 6-10-2020 EFL Trophy OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dont get some peoples desire to get rid/loan out Agyei Hall Osei and Sykes. Who for exactly? They have all shown real ability at this level, considering their lack of regular game time. Still waiting for Hanson though!

I don't think there is 'desire' from fans on here to see those players go. We're just speculating on who based on KR's comments. There's a definite second string of players who do not start matches regularly and Agyei, Hall and Osei-Yaw are in that category. Sykes shouldn't be in that lot though. He's easily in our immediate plans.

If Hall is one to go, it begs the question why give him a new contract in the first place? Even if it is a cheap and cheerful deal, it's still another body to shift for someone who was only half-wanted here.

Hanson is the toughest one. We're fine when it comes to RBs and CMs, so his two main slots are well accounted for. He has been unlucky with injuries but on the other hand when he has played he has never been spectacular in whatever position he's been in. How do we develop him? Give him a position and ask him to boss that role? Accept his usefulness as a jack of all trades but possibly master of none? Cut our losses and say farewell?

I get that this is a competition many could well do without, but I am pleased with the result essentially because it allows fringe players the opportunity to play competitive football, over time contributing depth to the squad. Happy to have at least one further competitive game beyond Walsall for this reason. I also think these are opportunities Robbo uses thoughtfully for this very reason.

Last night was not about the performance, it was more about individual milestones and so it has ended up as a relatively successful evening.
Two points; probable progression; morale boost from staying in the game and coming back at the end; another strong performance from Stevens proving he has become a legit alternative when required; first starts for two more youngsters to gain valuable experience and confidence; more minutes for long at CB; more minutes for Jones to show his worth; another game for Kelly at DM and Sykes on the left to show their suitability (or not) to play in those positions; the same for the 'fitter' hall to re-establish himself in the first team; minutes for Hanson back from injury (potentially prior to securing a move); another game for Osei to show what he can offer in the box and how lethal he can be; probably another game in this competition secured in order to get another chance to grow and learn about/for some of these fringe players to prepare them for when they might be needed later in the season....

Not great viewing perhaps, but probably quite valuable for some individuals and for KR

If we can barely fill the bench with our "B" team remind why anyone is going?

Last nights game was a great opportunity to give some youngsters a taster, a couple of fringe players a run out and the rest of them the chance to get used to new players in the team.

Bit flaky to start, they certainly grew into it, kept going to the end and got the result of a bonus point draw.

If we can barely fill the bench with our "B" team remind why anyone is going?
It sounds that to get players in we potentially need players to go out (wage cap, squad restriction plus I assume COVID impact on finances)
I am very surprised that Sykes has been mentioned as a player who could go out on loan, but Hanson, Hall, Agyei going out wouldn't surprise me at all.

I think Hall has been fairly decent so far.

The problem with Hanson is that the club has to find someone who wants to take him on loan. Judging by his transfer fee, he will be on decent money - and presumably we'd want any club he went to to pay a proportion of that. With things as they are, is that going to be realistic?

I can't imagine Sykes or Agyei going anywhere, we have just got Kelly back and Osei Yaw (for all his rawness) seems to have a knack of putting the ball in the net, which is always handy. McGuane hasn't really impressed me in the more competitive games, but like Kelly he is in on loan.

So I am not sure who we could 'move on' to make another space in the senior ranks.

Would anyone want Hall or Hanson if they had to pay a significant part of their wages?

play Osei-Yaw up front with Taylor on Saturday, may just work with them together, if you dont try you dont know.

Hall was our best creative outlet, he made the goal and had most of our efforts on goal. Doubt he’s going anywhere, at very least he’s a useful sub.

Sykes going on loan? Behave, he’s a key player.

Hanson isn’t good enough at right back , his crossing is atrocious. Might have a role protecting a lead in some hairy away games but we won’t see much of him. But as I posted earlier is he really going to go out on loan under current economic conditions? Who’s going to pay part of his wages? Are we really going to pay up his meaty contract?

Kelly disappointed last night, he’s simply not big or quick enough. I’d suggest he was the player Robinson referred to. And possibly McGuame, who although he had decent moments last night, got worryingly and easily scragged in possession in dangerous parts of the pitch.

Thought the youngsters improved as the game went on. Both have got potential, particularly Lofthouse.

Reflecting on last night the best news was performance of Stevens. He’s only going to get better and has so much more presence than earlier seasons. He must be close to first choice.

Reflecting on last night the best news was performance of Stevens. He’s only going to get better and has so much more presence than earlier seasons. He must be close to first choice.

Think this season will be more of transitioning one, more exposure, cup games, short runs of matches to cover injury etc. and if all goes well next season would step up after Eastwoods contract ends May '21 (think that is correct!) and he inevitably heads back up north.

My issue with Kelly is that him playing well seems to be more a symptom than a cause of the team playing well. If his teammates are creating space and making runs off the ball, he has time and options and thrives - but then, so would most players in that situation. I just don't think he's physical or, crucially, technical enough to make the kind of impact we need him to. Gorrin and CB, even if they and the team are playing badly, will still put in a shift and make the middle of the park combative. I just don't see that Kelly does that. One option might be to move him further forward, where his lack of physicality might not matter so much and his technical play can come to the fore a bit more, but it seems like we tried that yesterday, against a second-string Rovers defence, and he still couldn't make an impact. It's a bit worrying. If his value is solely in dropping deep, receiving the ball off defenders, and pinging passes all over the shop, that's great, but equally makes him, and the team, incredibly one dimensional, and easily shut down. (Incidentally, I'm also not sure if we have the players to make that system work anyway. You need pace, people who can get in behind and stretch teams, to create space and give the 'QB' something to aim at. We don't have that at the moment.)

McGuane was disappointing yesterday too. You can see what he could bring, and he admittedly was very good in the last few minutes, but some of the basics just didn't seem to be there. Poor touches, misplacing short passes, bad decision-making, particularly in some dangerous areas. A bit concerning, given he was one of our big marquee summer signings.

Both players were loaned out by their respective clubs for a reason, which means they weren't getting game time and hadn't played regular competitive fixtures for a while before joining us. They will take some time to properly find their feet, and I think we can afford them that patience. I just hope that, in this uniquely truncated season, we have the time to see them get up to their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom