Home Match Build Up 5-12-2020 L1 OUFC v Hull City

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hull lost to the Swine. So if we pull our fingers out, and catch them on a similarly bad day, there's no reason we can't win this one. But I will say we'll earn a decent point in a 1-1 draw.

They've won seven of their last eight since that defeat ...

We are playing so poor at the moment, against poor teams, with such a lack of commitment, it could be a tough day.
OUFC 0 HUFC 3.

One of many concerns at the moment is the way several of our likely starters run out of gas: McGuane, Obita, Kelly, Taylor in particular.
I hope it won't be a case of raising our game for 60 minutes and then getting over-run in the final stages.

My wife says I’m behaving like a 7 year old the night before Christmas.
Can’t wait to be back, making noise from the minute the boys take to the pitch for the warm up until after the game.
Will they win? Probably not but it won’t be because of lack of support from the stands.
A point, or better, will begin to make most of this year all the more bearable.

Just got a phone call from the club. They had to cancel my ticket and move me to another seat due to social distancing rules which I'm fine about. They sent me the new ticket as an e-ticket straight away to my email.

We are playing so poor at the moment, against poor teams, with such a lack of commitment, it could be a tough day.
OUFC 0 HUFC 3.
Really? An away win and two draws against top teams, and a decent performance for an hour against Swindon before a mad ending. You’re supposed to be a supporter, not a moaner

OUFC 0 HUFC 3.
Of our last 4 games we have played Ipswich, Pompey and Wigan.
Dud we show a lack of commitment in those games?

Perhaps more a lack of 'belief' rather than 'commitment' on the part of some players? They don't look like they have much confidence in what they are being asked to do.

Perhaps more a lack of 'belief' rather than 'commitment' on the part of some players? They don't look like they have much confidence in what they are being asked to do.
Specifically '.....what they are being asked to do....' or just more generally '....be able to play football...' ?

(and I mean that as a serious point - ie. is it not more just a general lack of belief/confidence in their on abilities, rather than anything to do with being unable to handle specific instructions from the coaching staff?)

I think as long as we dont concede stupid early then this will not be the tonking that some are predicting.
We are slowly getting the defence and midfield into some sort of stable order, which should mitigate against any major issues,, but the concern remains over the ability to keep that up over a full 90+ mins (either through fitness or ability of subs) - so we will have to remain vigilant not to throw anything away late on.
Couple this with stuttering conversion rate up front, then the optimist in me will go 1-1, though I fear we might end up on the end of a hard fought 1-2 defeat....

Watched Arsenal last night and noticed that one or two had stood up and taken their masks off with a steward nearby doing nothing. I know its not nice to have to wear them, but to all of you that are going tomorrow, PLEASE, bide by the rules and make the day a success then hopefully before too long we will all be back supporting the club we love.

I think tomorrow is one of those games nobody really expects us to win but after keeping a clean sheet the other night I think that will give are defence a lot of confidence so I’m going to say 2-0 Taylor and Henry 🤞

I get that it is difficult taking out the Swin*** last 10 minutes/ second half. But if you look at the last 4 games excluding that, sure there is a bit of confidence missing, but it seems to me that the plan has been to try and tighten up at the back as the first priority.
This has generally worked? Having a more stable back 4 ( including Long and Atkinson) and Gorrin getting fitter has clearly helped.
From an attacking perspective, this has had given us a problem as we sit deeper.

Really looking forward to it tomorrow, as has been said Hull lost to that rabble who play in red so it’s a game we can win.
I’m going for a 2-1 victory

COYY

Specifically '.....what they are being asked to do....' or just more generally '....be able to play football...' ?

(and I mean that as a serious point - ie. is it not more just a general lack of belief/confidence in their on abilities, rather than anything to do with being unable to handle specific instructions from the coaching staff?)
Well I think some of the players have been asked to do things they aren't suited to - Clare at right back, Kelly as DM for example - so I'd guess they are not confident of their abilities in those areas. Hopefully now the penny has dropped *and* we have players coming back to fitness, this is a problem that will lessen (although I suspect we will still be talking about the best place to play Agyei, Sykes and Obita for a while yet!)

But I would also say that we seem to be playing in a very odd way - using Taylor as a target man for example seems neither to play to his strengths not be be at all effective, there is a huge disconnect much of the time between midfield and attack, and it seems to be bloody hard work to fashion any sort of a chance. If we can see that, then surely the players can.

Now whether that is down to the players doing what they are told and it not being effective or not being able to do what they are told to do and therefore it not being effective, I don't know of course. I think I'd say in either case, we need to change things - simply because it isn't effective, whatever the reason.

Or maybe it is a fitness issue? We do fade badly the longer games go on - even Wigan looked threatening (and scored) towards the end!

It is frustrating because we *do* have some talented players but at the moment the team is running like a petrol car with diesel in the tank.

Make as much noise as you can within the rules if you're going! Try and create a positive atmosphere unlike the Charlton fans!

The season starts now, now that fans are allowed in!

My wife says I’m behaving like a 7 year old the night before Christmas.
Can’t wait to be back, making noise from the minute the boys take to the pitch for the warm up until after the game.
Will they win? Probably not but it won’t be because of lack of support from the stands.
A point, or better, will begin to make most of this year all the more bearable.
Top man, that's the attitude we need!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom