Home Match Day Thread 3/11/2020 L1 OUFC v Rochdale

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a good win. Some very good performances by most of the team. Still a bit concerned about Henry, Ruffs and Eastwood. They all seem to lack confidence. Clare probably had his best game. Still don't think he's a defender and noticed more than one player got back to cover him at different times. Maybe a deliberate ploy.
Shodipo made a big difference, he scared them for sure and what a great finish! Special mention for Moore. Lets hope last night will help him big time to get over all he has had to put up with the last several months. I still think if we got an experienced CB and moved Long to RB we would be a lot more solid. Give Clare a go on the wing, he's got the pace.

Well pleased with the win last night....thought the first 50-55 mins were 2 below average l1 sides in a below average contest. After 55 mins -with 2 quick changes- (personnel ...& tactics too?) The U's started playing more like the decent l1 side we should be, 4-1 wouldnt've flattered, imo ,based on the final 35 mins performance

I thought Rochdale played some decent football. We defended much better as a team though Moore was outstanding ( as a defender...his 2 goals were icing on the cake) and Long and Clare were decent too. Ruffs is still struggling but consider just how much football he has played in the last 15 months with little break. Mide is a real talent at this level. If he can maintain that standard we have a real game changer. Forde is starting to play like CamBran and his set piece delivery is better than we have had for some time. Gorrin was near his best and makes such a difference in covering and breaking up attacks ( a role Kelly was not suited to). Aygei and McGuane did well in patches too. Taylor worked his socks off and I saw glimpses of the Henry we are used to. So it may not have been that smooth a performance and we may have struggled had they stuck away that simple chance at 1-1 But in the end a convincing win with a good last 25 mins. Oh, and I cannot for my life see how refs can give penalties when the ball is hammered at a defender who is only a yard or so away and is half turning his back away from the shot. Ridiculous.

I cant really see how the ref couldn't give the penalty. Stone wall pen IMO. You would certainly want it given at the other end.

The whingers have nothing to say. Can't sack Karl, can't sob over our full backs, can't slag off Tiger or the recruitment team, can't scapegoat Eastwood or Henry.
Oh yes I can! ;)

It was by no means perfect and (as I said at the time) their miss was obviously a huge turning point. If that had gone in, who knows (and should Easty have held on the the first shot or pushed it wider?)
We looked better once we'd moved players about - more into their natural positions, so I think KR might hopefully be persuaded that is where they should play.
Clare is still all at sea at right back - he did put in some stonking tackles, but was positionally wrong quite a few times. He is an asset going forwards though, of course.
I'm not sure the recruitment team can suddenly be said to have got it right on the back of one win! The squad is still as unbalanced as it was before kickoff, we still signed an injured player and still haven't got anyone in to fill the 'spare' place.

But...

The win was welcome, it was very much needed.
We looked pretty good going forward in the second half.
Some of the players (Long, Forde, Moore and Shodipo especially) are starting to blossom.
We've got another ten days or so before the next league game, hopefully we can get some of the injured and walking wounded into better shape.

Oh yes I can! ;)

It was by no means perfect and (as I said at the time) their miss was obviously a huge turning point. If that had gone in, who knows (and should Easty have held on the the first shot or pushed it wider?)
We looked better once we'd moved players about - more into their natural positions, so I think KR might hopefully be persuaded that is where they should play.
Clare is still all at sea at right back - he did put in some stonking tackles, but was positionally wrong quite a few times. He is an asset going forwards though, of course.
I'm not sure the recruitment team can suddenly be said to have got it right on the back of one win! The squad is still as unbalanced as it was before kickoff, we still signed an injured player and still haven't got anyone in to fill the 'spare' place.

But...

Some of the players (Long, Forde, Moore and Shodipo especially) are starting to blossom.
We've got another ten days or so before the next league game, hopefully we can get some of the injured and walking wounded into better shape.
Yes, but that's not whinging, that's sensible discussion.

Never a penalty but Taylor fouled the goalie for our goal.....swings and roundabouts........we won but i was not overly impressed....got Brannigan to come back .....not really looking to get promotion and will be happy just to beat the scum and stay up.

Oh yes I can! ;)

But...

Whilst the initial save was poor from Eastwood, in terms of not holding it and not getting it away from goal.
He reacted quickly and his decision to go with his leg for the loose ball, in my opinion, forced the Dale player to screw it wide as he rushed it. Might just be the former goalkeeper in me though.

I wonder what the aggro was between KR and Rochdale's no. 20 at the end? You can see it on the extended highlights, KR goes to shake his hand or tap elbows and the guy's having none of it. KR then calls him back and they have words.

Better all round performance, three points very welcome. Turning point of course was when Eastwood spilled it and their bloke made the miss of the season. Im sure i saw the goal move in the wind.. QPR must have some great players to let us have Shadipo.hope we can keep him past January.. worry again is what injuries were picked up last night. Gorrin looks a doubt after a great display and NO bookings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom