Home Match Day Thread 28/11/2020 L1 OUFC v Swindon Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eastwood has been a real legend for us in the past, carrying on after major surgery, injury and (possibly) approaches from higher league sides. I think his form as been slowly sliding for the last couple of seasons, and at least he obviously needs to be rested for a while, but FFS we need to show some loyalty and not crucify the guy.
Totally agree.

Unfortunately some people have very short memories.

"Subs thrown under the bus" - that is more than they deserve. KR may have made mistakes, but he should at least be able to expect the 3 players to play a bit - it was like we finished the game with 8 men.

Fine - they were all awful, especially Sykes.

But it's the biggest, highest pressure game of the season. We're playing against a terrible team, and we just need to be resolute and see the game out.

KR has six outfield players on his bench - one with vast experience (Mous), two guys in the middle of their careers that have seen it all before (Hall, Forde) and three inexperienced youngsters.

And who does he bring on? He deserves every bit of flak that's going to head his way.

Absolute disgrace. We had three games in hand, all at home. Played 2, lost 2.
we have to score 2 goals a game these days to even get a draw, Pompey excepted. Sorry Eastwood , time to go. Ipswich and Hull next week. Ipswich well beaten at home today by Charlton. Who will be in goal .?. Eastwood, we all know that.

Eastwood has been a real legend for us in the past, carrying on after major surgery, injury and (possibly) approaches from higher league sides. I think his form as been slowly sliding for the last couple of seasons, and at least he obviously needs to be rested for a while, but FFS we need to show some loyalty and not crucify the guy.

He was a good shot stopper but no more than that, that’s why he never got a move any higher. No club ever offered him a big money move else he would of gone, same as every other player who ever left us. Now he is not even much of a shot stopper, the rest of his game is all over the place.

No room for sympathy in football, he needs to be replaced.

Nothing is changing regards robinson, as the season goes on. WTF did he tell them to do at half time, the substitutions were a shambles.
Wilder and Mapp knew what this game meant to fans, kr is clueless.
One step forward 3 steps backwards. Losing to promotion chasers can be explained away, but even the usual kr spin doctors on here cannot explain this away against a team that will be down there at the end of the season.
At the moment, the way things are going, we will be down amongst the dead men, if kr is allowed to continue.
Now wait for the usual excuses from kr, for the usual spin doctors to massage on here.
I think you also have to ask why the team seemed so gripped by fear. Where does the fear come from?
We weren’t up against a top side who were cutting us to ribbons.

We just dropped so deep and invited pressure on the back line.
The amount of times we shanked the ball out of play in the second half was ridiculous. We just could
not get on the ball and pass It . The tactics must have been to sit on the lead and rely on counter attacks
but there was no fluidity.

I am shocked that we can chuck a game away like that in the manner we did. It was catastrophic.

But he hasnt been a legend for us. He has been an average-dodgy keeper for well over 2 seasons. He now drops clangers regularly and saves his worst for our most important matches....
Christ... how many times in the past has Easty kept us in games.... short memories.

I’ll say it again... his time maybe up, but that decision falls on KR.

Easty has earned our respect during his years with us and the abuse on here is shocking.

"Subs thrown under the bus" - that is more than they deserve. KR may have made mistakes, but he should at least be able to expect the 3 players to play a bit - it was like we finished the game with 8 men.

It's the fact that even he admitted he was wrong. It's the changes he made that were wrong. It shouldn't have got to the stage of those 3 players playing badly.
The wider picture is what did he say to them at half time?
All season we have been down amongst the deadmen, with some on here saying we are too good to go down. Yet today we have got beaten by one of those deadmen
He should go, but old Teflon has his feet so far under the table at the club, he's tickling Tigers toes.

He was a good shot stopper but no more than that, that’s why he never got a move any higher. No club ever offered him a big money move else he would of gone, same as every other player who ever left us. Now he is not even much of a shot stopper, the rest of his game is all over the place.

No room for sympathy in football, he needs to be replaced.
Celtic tried to sign him and he turned them down

He can throw whoever he wants under the bus so long as he joins them.

He’s the manager, he assembled this shower of crocks and loanees etc. It was criminal not going for Archer when we could, particularly after the last 12 months which has seen an increasing number of errors by Eastwood.

We’ve got a team of spineless boys with zero commitment to the club who didn’t stand up when it counted. They capitulated against Wycombe, same today and the way things are going will continue to do so until we’re in League 2.

And that 30 minutes from Sykes joins my list of worst performances ever seen from an Oxford player (and I've been watching for ~30 years now).
He basically panicked and gave the ball away every time he received it; which is bad enough - but to then switch off and not track your runner into the box from a simple throw-in is just criminal. I know that James Henry has not been playing the way he can this year.....but he at least has experience and composure. At the moment, all Sykes seems to offer is energy and that's just not enough.

Another performance from Sykes that makes his off season comment about Oxford basically being a stepping stone to a bigger team rather absurd. Take the step now, as as others have said, he is a player that flatters to deceive. He has the odd trick but never produces anything of note or puts his mark on a game.

And before anyone uses the scapegoat word, it's just how it is with his performances.

It's a derby game, it shouldn't be down to the manager to get players motivated, but those who started gave it everything. Kelly, McGuane, Gorrin were superb. But McGuane and Obita were knackered so a sub was inevitable. I don't care where anyone is playing, the least I expect is those who come on to the pitch to give it everything for 20 odd minutes. Agyei and Shodipo were awful. I've never seen Dan with his hands on his hips so often. He never once gave an option for the ball to be played to him, and the one run he had he just fell into their player and gave away a foul. Shodipo was even worse. Sykes ran round like a headless chicken and his only contribution was to kick the ball away. All 3 let down the team today.

And yes, Eastwood has probably made his last mistake for a while. His dodgy clearance early in the second half, not commanding the box for their first, and christ knows what that was for the second?? Stevens deserve a chance now.

Robinson makes plenty of mistakes, but he couldn't have expected those coming on to give up. The game was crying out for an injection of pace to grab the initiative back. Swindon were there for a real beating and no one stepped up.

Why have you put Agyei on the wing AGAIN when he CANNOT play there, which not only nullifies him offensively as he is forced to work in tighter areas, but also means we suffer defensively because he does not know how to track back effectively? The guy chased and scrapped with centre backs all night at Portsmouth, so when you’re saying we stopped pressing their centre halves why the hell wasn’t he given that task for ten minutes instead of Taylor?
This, this, THIS. I was screaming at the radio when he said that.

Robinson pointed out that we stopped pressing their centrebacks, and that caused us to drop too deep and become susceptible to long balls.

Yes. We stopped pressing them because Matty Taylor was knackered. Luckily, on the bench there was Dan Agyei, who pressed the Portsmouth centre backs well the other game. And he’s a pacy striker, so he can press and run in behin- wait. Karl. Don’t play him on the wing. Don’t play him on the- Karl!!

If we’ve stopped pressing the centre backs, why didn’t you take an exhausted Taylor off?

We have problems at both ends of the pitch. We keep missing fairly simple chances and always give at least one goal away. That is a recipe for a long hard winter. I echo the comments that the subs used today were all awful. All three weaknened the team, none could keep the ball, none could pass the ball. That just encouraged a poor side to come forward and gain confidence.
That said both goals were out of the defensive horrors video. Eastwood constantly looks uncertain, doesn't appear to shout or be decisive. That in front of a defence that is weak against crosses inevitably leads to conceding goals many of which are soft.
The depressing thing was you felt it was coming, the manner of it was gut wrenchingly sickening.
We have real problems with Sykes Shadipo and Agyei because all 3 are very very inconsistent at present. You just have no idea what is coming on the pitch on any given day. To bring all 3 on together always has to be a huge gamble.

History shows he doesn't trust stevens, hence Eastwood has played for longer than would have happened at other clubs. Also, other seasons when Eastwood has been injured, a loan is brought.
Having seem stevens play quite a lot, I don't believe he is the answer, a replacement first choice is needed. God, if stevens does come in, I do
hope I am proved wrong.

What games have u actually seen Stevens play ?

Eastwood should of been out of the side weeks ago, looked well off his game for a while now and has made numerous mistakes. He could of cost us against Wigan, came out flapping at 0-0, but got away with it. Robinson has to take full responsibility for the position we are in, he picks the team and pretty much everyone could see he needed a break out of the team with his confidence so low. Some of the changes he’s made regarding the subs have been shocking as well. Too many players have performed under par and so inconsistent as well has not helped!

Robinson’s interview should get more stick than it’s getting from the local media. It’s all the players, is it Karl? They lost it on their own yeah? You say we didn’t keep the ball and were panicking - where was Forde then? Why isn’t he in the middle of the pitch giving us energy and calmness, either when Kelly is blowing or when McGuane needs removing? Two opportunities to get him on and you failed. If Mousinho isn’t a total crock why didn’t you have him on next to Gorrin after 80/85 minutes shoring things up and helping people stay cool? If you’re going to remove both wingers then why isn’t Robbie Hall, who has good experience in these games, any sort of option for even 15 minutes instead of a temperamental loanee and a striker you absolutely insist on battering the confidence out of week after week? Why have you put Agyei on the wing AGAIN when he CANNOT play there, which not only nullifies him offensively as he is forced to work in tighter areas, but also means we suffer defensively because he does not know how to track back effectively? The guy chased and scrapped with centre backs all night at Portsmouth, so when you’re saying we stopped pressing their centre halves why the hell wasn’t he given that task for ten minutes instead of Taylor?

Sorry, Karl, but you absolutely fluffed your lines today, and the fact that you have come out and nailed players to the mast is the mark of you. You do this every time the going gets tough, just like in the first full season when you started saying player X, Y and Z weren’t your players, and any other nonsense you come out with on the spot to deflect. A lot of people might be too blinkered and/or stupid to remember what you do and say and apply it down the line when you contradict yourself, but I’m not. You bottled Wembley and you bottled the derby. Take some responsibility for that.

Thank you Ryan, for that post. I deliberately didn't listen to the manager's comment because I expected there'd have been an explosion in West Dorset that would have startled people in Wiltshire.

Bringing on Shodipo was inept, stupid. Not using Agyei to replace Taylor was daft, nearly as daft as pissing on the lad's confidence week in week out. Not bringing in Mousinho for Kelly was incomprehensible, he was knackered and Mousinho would have organised them.

I can't bear to hear his excuses any more.

Shrewsbury and rovers have both sacked their managers this season. We are on the same points as rovers and i guess our board have higher aspirations than those teams. KRs job must be hanging on a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom