Home Match Build Up 28/11/2020 L1 OUFC v Swindon Town

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If no fans are there is it a derby game? Or just two sets of mercenaries playing out another fixture?

In fairness to him and it may be really obvious, he's right. Swindon have shot themselves in the foot repeatedly with their lack of discipline in recent years. They've had at least one player sent off in three of the last four meetings (we had MacDonald see red in the FLT match that we discard from the canon of victories) and have lost them all.

Keep your discipline in derby games and it helps a lot.
We also had our star player sent off after about four seconds and still won no problems :)

In fairness to him and it may be really obvious, he's right. Swindon have shot themselves in the foot repeatedly with their lack of discipline in recent years. They've had at least one player sent off in three of the last four meetings (we had MacDonald see red in the FLT match that we discard from the canon of victories) and have lost them all.

Keep your discipline in derby games and it helps a lot.
Beano?

How about Covid postponement moving the game to a time when fans could attend? Might make the scummers rue their decision not to play last time.

A bit of a freakish anomaly that one. All signs pointed to a Swindon win and you’d be hard pressed to find any reason why Oxford would win that one especially after the 12th minute and down to 10. Lee Holmes, Asa Hall and Oli Johnson did the rest though.

Swindon also ‘lost’ manager Di Canio in the away game that season and we ourselves crumbled in 2001 in our last Manor meeting with them Whitehead and Murphy being sent off. In fairness we were so bad that season that even an extra player or two wouldn’t have helped us, but the principle stands. Keep players on the pitch and you do have a better chance of winning.

A bit of a freakish anomaly that one. All signs pointed to a Swindon win and you’d be hard pressed to find any reason why Oxford would win that one especially after the 12th minute and down to 10. Lee Holmes, Asa Hall and Oli Johnson did the rest though.

Swindon also ‘lost’ manager Di Canio in the away game that season and we ourselves crumbled in 2001 in our last Manor meeting with them Whitehead and Murphy being sent off. In fairness we were so bad that season that even an extra player or two wouldn’t have helped us, but the principle stands. Keep players on the pitch and you do have a better chance of winning.
Andy Whing threw himself in front of everything that moved and a certain ballboy took one for the team to lose a minute or so. Half the east stand trying to get on the pitch at that point.

Even a free magic show as 1200 scummers disappeared into thin air before the final whistle. Or maybe they just hid in our shadow as usual?

Andy Whing threw himself in front of everything that moved and a certain ballboy took one for the team to lose a minute or so. Half the east stand trying to get on the pitch at that point.
Scott Rendell remains the greatest unsung hero of the 2012 home win. I’ve never seen a better example of pressing and closing down from someone being forced to play as a lone striker in my life. He just didn’t stop, and I’m talking full-on sprints. That man left absolutely everything on the pitch that day. At one point in the second half he spent 30 full seconds sprinting back and forth across the pitch as their defenders knocked the ball about, and I still get goosebumps thinking back to the way that the crowd started to come alive with it. By the end of his one man press he was practically getting a standing ovation, and the crowd was so loud that you would think someone was running clean through on goal by the end of it.

If I were OUFC manager I’d have a couple of the youth team, who can isolate without putting others at risk, spending at lot of time with their Oxford Brooks mates.

Scott Rendell remains the greatest unsung hero of the 2012 home win. I’ve never seen a better example of pressing and closing down from someone being forced to play as a lone striker in my life. He just didn’t stop, and I’m talking full-on sprints. That man left absolutely everything on the pitch that day. At one point in the second half he spent 30 full seconds sprinting back and forth across the pitch as their defenders knocked the ball about, and I still get goosebumps thinking back to the way that the crowd started to come alive with it. By the end of his one man press he was practically getting a standing ovation, and the crowd was so loud that you would think someone was running clean through on goal by the end of it.

I was going to cite Rendell as well. He kept running and running and running all game, unsettling their defenders and forcing them to keep moving. It was thankless and counterinitiative to a striker to essentially not put himself positions to score but it worked. The number of touches of the ball he must've had would have been minimal and yet he deserved a 10/10 for performance.

Another one who stepped up that day was Antony Tonkin. By then he was becoming a bit part player and would inevitably be released at the end of the season however he put in a brilliant defensive performance alongside Whing, Duberry and Batt. One of many who could have won MOTM.

One who wouldn't be considered was some bloke called Mark Wilson who started CM for us. If you'd given me 100 years to come up with the lineup, he would not have been a name I would have ever recalled from that team.

If no fans are there is it a derby game? Or just two sets of mercenaries playing out another fixture?
Long, Obita, Taylor and Ruffels are all local lads don't forget. Eastwood and Hall have played in these games before. They'll be up for it.

Haven't heard anything about Taylor, presume nothing will happen?

Even if it was to happen now, the club / player can request a personal hearing which can delay things by a few days, so should free him up.

Maybe one to ask Mr Mac on the forum later.

Long, Obita, Taylor and Ruffels are all local lads don't forget. Eastwood and Hall have played in these games before. They'll be up for it.

Haven't heard anything about Taylor, presume nothing will happen?
Obita 'up to speed ' apparently on the forthcoming derby clash , seems he's a fast learner ....

How many will they have who have played in this fixture previously, or local players?

One thing that is worrying me a little bit is that Karl is much more, shall we say, 'emotional' than the managers that have been at the helm for the last six (I think?) meetings with Swindon. As another poster mentioned, we have won most of the recent matches by keeping our heads whilst they were losing theirs (a questionable red card for Beano aside), and I think that was in no small part due to the calm-headed approach of both Wilder and Appleton.

That said, perhaps the absence of fans might actually play in our favour? If it was a full house and as tense as usual, I would be fearful of Robbo getting a bit too caught up in it all and that subsequently rubbing off on the players a la the fascist.

As with most games this season, struggling to really get up for it, but hoping for a win as always against that lot. COYY

One thing that is worrying me a little bit is that Karl is much more, shall we say, 'emotional' than the managers that have been at the helm for the last six (I think?) meetings with Swindon. As another poster mentioned, we have won most of the recent matches by keeping our heads whilst they were losing theirs (a questionable red card for Beano aside), and I think that was in no small part due to the calm-headed approach of both Wilder and Appleton.

I don't know that I would say either of them were all that calm!

Vigoroux will be a big miss for us though. Probably only Maguire did more to win those games than he did.

Four players from Oxford to start. Guessing they'll have no Swindon-born players, hard to be a good footballer when your family background is years of inbreeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom