Away Match Day Thread +++ 26/12/2017 Gillingham v OUFC match day thread +++

I can’t remember the poster who said it but if we don’t get relegated this season, we’d be candidates for it next season.

Pep has obliterated what MApp built here in a matter of months. Get used to these sort of disappointing results - I think we’ll have a lot more of them this season.

Could Pep be anymore Deluded? Every player played well. We deserved to win? Whatever he takes before every post match interview i wouldnt mind having a try, the bloke is never wrong. It's never his fault either.

Anyone confident of any sort of result away at Bradford, based on recent performances?

I'm just counting today's point as another in the limp to the 50 that we need.

Anyone confident of any sort of result away at Bradford, based on recent performances?

I'm just counting today's point as another in the limp to the 50 that we need.
Well, we do start the game with a point. (Clothead wisdom)

Depressing thread. You should never sniff at an away point.
I un CLOT my nose at an away point snatched from the jaws of victory , late on, ....especially against a side the U's have already beaten twice this season

I can’t remember the poster who said it but if we don’t get relegated this season, we’d be candidates for it next season.

Pep has obliterated what MApp built here in a matter of months. Get used to these sort of disappointing results - I think we’ll have a lot more of them this season.

Ryan Bird I believe. Although I'm sure others have shared the same opinion.

Hello all, hope you all had a nice Christmas!

I won't comment on the performance until I've seen the game tomorrow, however, a point against Gillingham is disappointing; conceding late - again! - is disappointing. I really expected us to win today, despite the result against Wigan, which is a game I thought we'd lose, just not in that manner. Really not looking forward to playing Bradford in a few days. I fancy us against the plastics and who knows what'll happen against Blackpool. I expected about 7 points from those 5 games (loss, win, loss, win, draw) which points wise, we're still on course for.

I don't think we'll go down, but we've definitely regressed as a team - both on and off the pitch.

Just read there forum and came across this. Team of cheaters us.

That was a very hard worked point and I take my hat off to the players for forcing the draw.

Four yellows for Oxford, who appeared to me to be 'cheating' through the whole of the game.

Cheating - Gamesmanship, call it what you will, I am glad that Gills pressure prevented Oxford from taking the three points.
Not sure if Martin will make Saturday's starting line on today's performance
Read more: http://www.gillingham.vitalfootball...read-view.asp?tid=8038&posts=16#ixzz52NptZa1D

How many ex players want to score today. Hylton Lundstram Baldock Roofe and Roberts all scored. Promotion season team on fire today

Last edited:
I wasn’t at the game today Jerome but after the shambles on Saturday I’d have taken a point before the game.

I’m relieved that Pep made changes to the starting eleven and I’d be interested to hear from people who were actually at the game as to how those who came in played.

Did the inclusion of Martin and Carroll mean that we didn’t play so deep?

Were we more combative in midfield?

Did the forward line look more threatening with Thomas, Obika and Van Kessel all starting?

I wrote this season off some weeks ago, so for me it’s now just making sure we accumulate 50 plus points. As I’ve said before this team is capable of going on a very bad run.

Oxford Coach Pete Clot's aftermatch views were recorded on Sunday morning & those after Saturday's debacle were recorded the day before. Why do I feel despair at the moment? Maybe I need to "fookus"?

Just back. Frustrating to state the obvious as we should have won that. Poor poor goal to let in but as usual we had 10 back in the box resulting in a lottery of what happened.

The changes did improve things overall. Of those who came in Obika in particular performed well. So too Ledson and Rothwell. Those 3 should start from now on. Martin, Carroll and van kessell all ok but it’s a 50/50 call on all of them about retaining their place. I get the argument it’s better to see a young player than an old timer at full back but Carroll is a red card waiting to happen. Personally I would take Phil Edwards every day of the week over everyone who has played right back this season...

Away draws are usually nothing to moan about but funnily enough both this one and Rochdale seem to leave most of us pretty unimpressed. If we get another one at Bradford it really will be harsh if we are still complaining....

I am, as I'm sure are the vast majority of supporters, becoming increasingly disillusioned with this Oxford United team, not least because the incredible feel-good factor that surrounded the club for the last couple of years has almost entirely evaporated. But I am also very sceptical of modern football's short patience with managers and fans' violently knee-jerk reactions to bad results. Looking at the big picture, I have some sympathy for Pep. If you look at the team that started at Oldham on the opening day, Johnson was sold on deadline day, with no real time to get in a replacement, Ribeiro has retired, and Nelson and Hall are both out for months. Our current bad run of form has kind of coincided with losing the last two, which isn't really surprising - any team will struggle if you take out its best attacking outlet and its best defender (and footballer, to be honest). There's a lot to criticise Pep about - tactical inflexibility, the situation with Ledson and frustratingly copy-paste post match interviews - but he has been dealt a pretty bad hand in many ways, and we are still in a reasonably promising position in the league. I'm willing to retain the faith, at least until after this transfer window.

Also, can we stop with the 'fockooss' jokes. They're just the next iteration of the 'hotdog and pint' comments on literally any thread about Eales from the summer, which were very boring, and a pretty lazy way of mocking the fact that English is not our manager's first language.

I am, as I'm sure are the vast majority of supporters, becoming increasingly disillusioned with this Oxford United team, not least because the incredible feel-good factor that surrounded the club for the last couple of years has almost entirely evaporated. But I am also very sceptical of modern football's short patience with managers and fans' violently knee-jerk reactions to bad results. Looking at the big picture, I have some sympathy for Pep. If you look at the team that started at Oldham on the opening day, Johnson was sold on deadline day, with no real time to get in a replacement, Ribeiro has retired, and Nelson and Hall are both out for months. Our current bad run of form has kind of coincided with losing the last two, which isn't really surprising - any team will struggle if you take out its best attacking outlet and its best defender (and footballer, to be honest). There's a lot to criticise Pep about - tactical inflexibility, the situation with Ledson and frustratingly copy-paste post match interviews - but he has been dealt a pretty bad hand in many ways, and we are still in a reasonably promising position in the league. I'm willing to retain the faith, at least until after this transfer window.

Also, can we stop with the 'fockooss' jokes. They're just the next iteration of the 'hotdog and pint' comments on literally any thread about Eales from the summer, which were very boring, and a pretty lazy way of mocking the fact that English is not our manager's first language.

Maybe someone will start a thread translating our coach's spanglish then ? as in what he said....compared to what he really means:whistle:

If you desire fans to stop going on about fokkus, then equally ask the manager to stop coming out with the rubbish that he does interview after interview. It's got nothing to do with English being his native tongue, I wish football was, but all to do with the way he keeps using the term week after week to explain what his team are doing and are clearly not doing on the pitch. Today a casing point.

You have sympathy for him if you want, but clearly he has none, genuinely for the fans. His post match interview on Saturday included comments about the squad being very young, and yet everyone else can see how many old codgers were on the field.

Yes he arrived late, yet it was he who decided to bring in crocked journeymen, who many people could see were injury prone, apart from clotet. A couple of months later a puff of wind and we find half of the squad in a & e, with a chronic injury list.
Therefore he lives by not only the crocks he brought in, but also the system he stuck to that clearly didn't work for many games, one up front.

Again, come October, opposition teams had no need to send scouts to watch us play, we did the same thing every week;
Pass to someone, crab football to the half way line, faff around and lose the ball playing tippy tappy football. If we did get within sniffing distance of the box, it gets to the "Harlem Globetrotters" period, where players dance around the box with the ball, afraid to kick it towards the player in a pink shirt, standing in front of that nasty white net.

When you bring in players that have failed elsewhere, and have little or no experience of the English leagues, you are asking for trouble, especially if they are accident prone. How much money are some of them being paid?

Therefore have as much sympathy for him as you want, peel back the layers of poor performances, tactics, players, training, man management and the current situation lies solely at his door.
Yes, eales has given up on us, in terms of everything Ashton/Appleton built up, the quality players we had, the promises/future that came to nothing, oh and free hot dogs/pints/I'm one of the lads. Yet with the rope he was given to build a team/run a team shows clotet is no manager, with the results and performances. Today again failing to hold onto a lead, against a poor side.

Back
Top Bottom