Away Match Day Thread +++ 25/03/2018 PORTSMOUTH v OUFC +++

There is no excuse for not at least attacking the 2nd ball in your 6 yard box absolutely shocking defending.
Hard to judge from tv but when we were allowed so much space in the midfield was there any actual movement up front? the number of times we got to the edge of their box in space but still did not shoot was baffling, you cannot just walk through teams..
The better sides will not give the luxury of so much freedom in midfield and with being very lightweight up front (and that's being kind) the defence really needs organising and fast...you cannot continue to keep making basic errors back there.
Yes we did have acres of room in midfield. The lack of useful movement by Thomas was appalling.

Mowatt's response was wrong but he is a human being and in the heat of the moment he reacted badly to intense provocation.

Impressed at how perfect so many of our fans are who have never done something they instantly regretted.

Puzzled also that so many demand passion from our players but can't forgive Mowatt for slapping an ex Swindon player celebrating in his face after he's missed a penalty.

Mowatt in the Oxford Mail today said it's his worst 60 seconds in football and I can only imagine how utterly dreadful he must have felt walking off that pitch.

It's a painful lesson the lad has had to learn.
I think at least it showed that he cared. He shouldn't have reacted but to be fair I understand it.

Mowatt's response was wrong but he is a human being and in the heat of the moment he reacted badly to intense provocation.

Impressed at how perfect so many of our fans are who have never done something they instantly regretted.

Puzzled also that so many demand passion from our players but can't forgive Mowatt for slapping an ex Swindon player celebrating in his face after he's missed a penalty.

Mowatt in the Oxford Mail today said it's his worst 60 seconds in football and I can only imagine how utterly dreadful he must have felt walking off that pitch.

It's a painful lesson the lad has had to learn.

Mowatt needed to be smarter in this situation. Go back with verbals "how's your wife ....... and my kid's) or alike. Reverse It, get under his skin (a bit of research helps here) then hit the deck like a sack of s**t when the opportunity arises. Sure, it ain't pretty, but it's called getting equal.

Mowatt needed to be smarter in this situation. Go back with verbals "how's your wife ....... and my kid's) or alike. Reverse It, get under his skin (a bit of research helps here) then hit the deck like a sack of s**t when the opportunity arises. Sure, it ain't pretty, but it's called getting equal.

Ian Botham replied “my wife’s fine but your kids are retards” when asked by an Aussie player once, just saying ?

Mowatt slapped Thomson with not much more than the tips of his fingers but Thompson went down as if he had been shot through the head with a cannon. He was obviously trying to get Mowatt sent off and should have got a red card for that alone.
A lot of talk about Thomas! Was he playing?

Thompson is a cheat. After receiving a light slap he hit the turf as if
he had been poleaxed.

The reallly laughable thing was that TWO Pompey physios came on and ‘ treated ‘ him !

Agree but I can symphathise to an extent with Mowatt. What Thompson did to a fellow professional
is completely unacceptable.

Mowatt will be disciplined accordingly. Thompson should also receive retrospective punishment.

Indeed but why was that? Mowatt let himself down but the bigger question is why was he taking the pen? Surely a senior professional like Wes Thomas should have grabbed the situation by the scruff of the neck and got us back on level terms. He didn’t look interested all afternoon
Wes was shocking whole game, no balls into the box all game as he was to lazy/sh#te to get there! Should be on the bench "watching" as that was his only contribution to the game.

Strikers are our biggest problem?

Yeah, it's not like we're the 7th top scorers in the league having scored more than the leaders is it?

Yeah, we can hugely improve our frontline, but let's not pretend scoring goals is our biggest problem - it really isn't!

Strikers are our biggest problem?

Yeah, it's not like we're the 7th top scorers in the league having scored more than the leaders is it?

Yeah, we can hugely improve our frontline, but let's not pretend scoring goals is our biggest problem - it really isn't!
It really IS !! OK we were scoring a good number of goals but the majority were earlier in the season, of late its not great. We could put up with these 'individual mistakes' that lead to our defeats if we were actually scoring at the other end, so strikers ARE our biggest problem.

It really IS !! OK we were scoring a good number of goals but the majority were earlier in the season, of late its not great. We could put up with these 'individual mistakes' that lead to our defeats if we were actually scoring at the other end, so strikers ARE our biggest problem.

Totally disagree, only 2 teams have conceded more than us. That's not individual mistakes, it's a poor defence!

You can score goals and lose. You can't lose if you don't concede.

I was at Fratton Park and couldn’t believe Henry was subbed off - he was our best player!

A terrible decision - however to concede a goal from Portsmouth’s first ball into the box from
a corner after 4 mins was scandalous. Under pressure Pompey, without a home win in 2018, were handed
a big boost. Could Eastwood have come for the ball?

We’re pretty with the ball and easy on the eye but the lack of quality up front Is worrying.
Both full backs concern me too - I just hope we can scramble a couple of wins.
Really, I rate Kane.

we could go around in circles all week so let's settle for an improved attack and defence !!!!!!!!!!!! ( ah - harmony) Although - remember 7 of those goals against came in one game !!

• React
Reactions: m
Wes was shocking whole game, no balls into the box all game as he was to lazy/sh#te to get there! Should be on the bench "watching" as that was his only contribution to the game.
I rate Wes. I feel is finding his fittness/match sharpness after being dropped. I'm confident he will contribute over Easter.

Our attack is interesting.

We have the second most attempts on target - with 41%
Of those 41% on target, 28% result in a goal (15th in the league)

Finishing is clearly an issue, however I think the location of the attempts could be the issue.

Our attack compared to Blackburn (oxford first):
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 11.37.53.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 11.38.14.png

The density of attempts from Blackburn around the 6 yard box/penalty spot is the difference. Whilst we clearly are proficient at getting attempts on target, the conversion is the issue. I would put this down to the location of our attempts. How often do we allow Thomas to play to his poaching strengths?

In my mind, this will change with KR clearly a fan of pace out wide putting balls in to the box.

In conjunction, if he could get us to take effective set pieces, an develop an attacking threat in the air...that would be welcome! (No necessarily against short corners)

Dumbfounded by the criticism Mowatt is getting for his reaction to the penalty miss.

In the ideal world he should not have reacted in the way he did, but when you have an oppo player in your face just after a penalty miss how do you expect him to react?

Pompey player was an absolute disgrace, Mowatt's only mistake was not properly punching him.

Can only assume those criticising have never actually played football at any level themselves.

Completely agree, but I think a lot of the frustration shown towards him is actually a reflection on yet another poor performance and the penalty miss itself!

Back
Top Bottom