Away Match Day Thread 24/11/2020 L1 Portsmouth FC v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of my family are from the area and the old man is a Barrow fan but we've also turned him into an Oxford fan/season ticket holder. It is like anywhere and has the odd incident, just like we have, with a few Green Street wannabes. I've been to Holker Street plenty of times when visiting family and not seen much trouble there including some big games (full houses) for them as well.

If you do go, the Duddon Estuary (Barrow sits next to it) is lovely with the RSPB Hodbarrow (by Millom/Haverigg) worth a visit.. Also, go up the Duddon Valley/past Ulpha as quieter than a lot of other areas but absolutely beautiful; you can go all the way upto Hardknott Pass* or on to Wrynose Pass then into the Langdales/Ambleside or come off early go over Broughton Mills+ and have a meal at the Blacksmiths Arms or at a pub in Broughton in Furness on the way back to Barrow.

I'd also suggest a visit to the Swinside Stone Circle for something which the vast majority of tourists don't know about or visit. This is near Millom on the other side of the Duddon Estuary.

*If you can find somewhere to park, have a look at Hardknott Roman Fort (quite a bit still standing) which overlooks Eskdale. It is free to have a look with information boards explaining individual bits. The views are spectacular as well. Time it to go over after 5 if light evenings as the traffic drops off considerably.

+Park/stop at the top of Broughton Mills and take a short walk to the old Slate mine (again free) just over the hill. You can still (I think this is the case anyway but could be wrong) go in some of the tunnel entrances. The one we went in (only the immediate entrance area so no danger) had graffiti from when it was opened and then closed. Walk across to the other side and you can go into the remains of old mine buildings made up of waste slate.
Thanks, yes that sounds interesting. I bet it’s a beautiful area but the town run down

Thanks, yes that sounds interesting. I bet it’s a beautiful area but the town run down

Barrow is a typical northern industrial town but the advantage of anywhere around there is it isn't far to somewhere stunning. Walney Island has some lovely spots (a few nature reserves) and Piel Castle. Some cracking views back from Holker Street to the fells as well. I'd stay in Broughton in Furness or Ulverston if you want to stay on the Furness Peninsula and only a short journey into Barrow.

Edit: I should say the Dock Museum if you like military history as well.

Last edited:
What I remember most were the endless ‘debates’ in the away end about whether James Clarke should or should not have been sent off (presumably the game was on TV?). Not been back to this enchanting part of the world since.

Remember trying to watch the replay at halftime through the window at the back of the stand, I suppose their supporters' bar was their, and they pulled the blinds so we couldn't see. Shitbags.

Also went to a weekday cup match a year or 2 later when it pissed down.

Happy days.

Some of my family are from the area and the old man is a Barrow fan but we've also turned him into an Oxford fan/season ticket holder. It is like anywhere and has the odd incident, just like we have, with a few Green Street wannabes. I've been to Holker Street plenty of times when visiting family and not seen much trouble there including some big games (full houses) for them as well.

If you do go, the Duddon Estuary (Barrow sits next to it) is lovely with the RSPB Hodbarrow Reserve (by Millom/Haverigg) worth a visit.. Also, go up the Duddon Valley/past Ulpha as quieter than a lot of other areas but absolutely beautiful; you can go all the way upto Hardknott Pass* or on to Wrynose Pass then into the Langdales/Ambleside or come off early go over Broughton Mills+ and have a meal at the Blacksmiths Arms or at a pub in Broughton in Furness on the way back to Barrow.

I'd also suggest a visit to the Swinside Stone Circle for something which the vast majority of tourists don't know about or visit. This is near Millom on the other side of the Duddon Estuary.

*If you can find somewhere to park, have a look at Hardknott Roman Fort (quite a bit still standing) which overlooks Eskdale. It is free to have a look with information boards explaining individual bits. The views are spectacular as well. Time it to go over after 5 if light evenings as the traffic drops off considerably.

+Park/stop at the top of Broughton Mills and take a short walk to the old Slate mine (again free) just over the hill. You can still (I think this is the case anyway but could be wrong) go in some of the tunnel entrances. The one we went in (only the immediate entrance area so no danger) had graffiti from when it was opened and then closed. Walk across to the other side and you can go into the remains of old mine buildings made up of waste slate.

You sure you don’t work for the barrow tourist board [emoji23]

Not much of a debate really needed about it. X-rated then and doesn't get much better watching it back 12 years later.

Ben Hinchcliffe's sorry debut and the only 45 minutes of football from Rob Davies that we ever saw. Weird times for OUFC and a division I don't ever want to revisit.

I got barred from a pub for the only time in my life that evening.
Only pub in Berlin with Setanta was the world's sh*ttiest, tourist trap Irish pub smack in the city centre.
Called them earlier in the day asking whether they could put it on and they said it'll be fine. Arrived 15 minutes before KO to a completely empty pub be told "No, we have to keep the screens on Sky for the Arsenal friendly." Yes, that's fine, but is anyone actually watching the Arsenal friendly? No, but we might have walk-ins...
Things escalated, I was told I wasn't welcome back there (the only positive of the evening).
Got back home and the dodgy stream started working just as the third sailed in.
Good times! 🤮

I got barred from a pub for the only time in my life that evening.
Only pub in Berlin with Setanta was the world's sh*ttiest, tourist trap Irish pub smack in the city centre.
Called them earlier in the day asking whether they could put it on and they said it'll be fine. Arrived 15 minutes before KO to a completely empty pub be told "No, we have to keep the screens on Sky for the Arsenal friendly." Yes, that's fine, but is anyone actually watching the Arsenal friendly? No, but we might have walk-ins...
Things escalated, I was told I wasn't welcome back there (the only positive of the evening).
Got back home and the dodgy stream started working just as the third sailed in.
Good times! 🤮

I think we all have a story about trying to find a place to watch an Oxford game somewhere or other.

I watched our game against Torquay in the second season in the Conference at a pub when at university in Sheffield. The lure of fifth division football wasn’t enough to drag any mates along so I watched it on one of the corner TVs that the bar had on my own. 3-0 up at HT was pretty good. Then the horror show second half where Jim Smith’s men forgot how to play football, Jeannin’s limp corner, Torquay counter attack and Tim Sills heading home a last minute equaliser.

The barman brought a free pint over out of pity.

I think we all have a story about trying to find a place to watch an Oxford game somewhere or other.

I watched our game against Torquay in the second season in the Conference at a pub when at university in Sheffield. The lure of fifth division football wasn’t enough to drag any mates along so I watched it on one of the corner TVs that the bar had on my own. 3-0 up at HT was pretty good. Then the horror show second half where Jim Smith’s men forgot how to play football, Jeannin’s limp corner, Torquay counter attack and Tim Sills heading home a last minute equaliser.

The barman brought a free pint over out of pity.
I was in the Nort West, Standish nr Wigan, the early ko match on sky was that away match (under Mapp) to Cambridge... asked em to put it on , they obliged- there were only a handful of uninterested, early drinkers in the pub- and me....

oh dear, not a good time to watch your team miles away from home, and they got battered

a couple of the regulars bought me a pint as the goals against started rattling in

Another was in a hotel in Newquay a few seasons back, I was playing several dj sets over the course of the weekend- had to ask the hotel staff to put on the U's fa cup match away to a non -league side who I at the mo cant remember the name of,which was being shown live in an early kick-off, I was the only person in the hotel bar/ main function room watching the match, as the afternoons weekender entertainment didn't commence until 2.30pm - thankfully that was a convincing win

Watching the Yellows on TV. My first job was in Worcester, a long long time ago, this was in the days when a tv was still a bit of a luxury and I didn't have one. I found out OUFC highlights were on Star Soccer (younger readers will need to google} on Sunday afternoon. If memory services it was away v Notts County and we won 2-1. My only option was to watch the game through the shop window of a Radio Rentals showroom. So I spent an hour in Worcester High Street peering in a shop window watching the mighty yellows with many passers by thinking 'what is that man doing?'

My old man used to manage the radio rentals sites. You’re welcome.

I remember watching an oxford game in Prague at an Irish pub off the square when on England duty. Think it was wycombe.

and a tonne of games in clapham and Trafalgar Square with the London yellows brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom